Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM

161 posts, read 141,566 times

Advertisements

It's because of the high emphasis on education. Most asian american families don't make it and option to go to college. It's expected, and it's sacrificed for too. They'll pay for Kaplan courses,and help their kids make it through college. I mean if your family doesn't stand by you support and help you, what good is family.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM

161 posts, read 141,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
+ one for you.

Best answer I have read.

And for the OP to add white Americans is a trolling question baiting for a race debate.

Asians do not have enough in numbers to be consider more successful then whites to begin with.

Take a look at the top 10 richest in America. How many are whites?

Take a look at 10 of the most successful people in America. Most are white.

I just took a look at the top 100 richest ( income ) in the US.

4 Asians and 1 African America
The rest are all white men or women.

( Guess that tossed out this whole idea itself)

The Richest People in America 2010 - Forbes.com

Take a look at the PHD's in America, mostly white.

I think this is a sneaky trolling race baiting thread but it all comes down to what this posters answer was.

One of the most important things is having two parent families.

Two parent families ( One man and one woman ) who gives the Asian kids a more secure family life, pushes education, teaches them how to behave, value of hard work etc.
Well, technically Asians have only had significant population numbers in the US after the Vietnam War. They haven't been here for 300 years, so you're going to still see a disproportionate number of whites dominating the job sectors. But if you go to a hospital, you'll see more Asians as doctors today than 15 years ago, and probably more than 2-4% of the doctors. As for Forbes, how many of those guys have college degrees? How many have inherited wealth or grew up knowing people that had connections and wealth? That's more a indication of drive, luck, and ambition.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times
hes french, he's got the whole inferiority thing going for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
+ one for you.

And for the OP to add white Americans is a trolling question baiting for a race debate.

Asians do not have enough in numbers to be consider more successful then whites to begin with.

Take a look at the top 10 richest in America. How many are whites?

Take a look at 10 of the most successful people in America. Most are white.

I just took a look at the top 100 richest ( income ) in the US.

4 Asians and 1 African America
The rest are all white men or women.

( Guess that tossed out this whole idea itself)

The Richest People in America 2010 - Forbes.com

Take a look at the PHD's in America, mostly white.

I think this is a sneaky trolling race baiting thread but it all comes down to what this posters answer was.

One of the most important things is having two parent families.

Two parent families ( One man and one woman ) who gives the Asian kids a more secure family life, pushes education, teaches them how to behave, value of hard work etc.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
I've gone to hs & college with Asians here in Cali and have some thoughts. While parenting does play a huge role, you can't give short shrift to peer pressure, especially among those who grow up in communities with a large percentage of Asians. There's huge competition among Asian kids themselves to attain top marks & score high on standardized tests. As my Korean college friend has said, top grades, SAT's/MCAT's or ranking are how they validate themselves and make themselves feel important.

He's explained that Asians can't identify with any of the beautiful, athletic & funny media stars in the entertainment/sports world. They're resigned to the fact that they can't be the next Jessica Alba, Peyton Manning or Dane Cook. So to receive recognition they channel their efforts into academic outlets. It's a powerful statement of how media culture influences self-image & aspirations of youth.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 PM

436 posts, read 755,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Tom Thumb,
They have proven to be impressive citizens, and highly valued. So, the "***" slur has almost no impact and relevance these days.
I live in metro-Detroit, so the "***" slur is used sometimes with negative connotations. Understandably, there are a lot of people around here that are not too pleased with the success of Japanese companies like Toyota or Honda.

I found the "***" slur offensive because...
1. I am Asian. And the people who often used that term, would often use their fingers to slant their eyes. Really ticked me off back then.
2. I am not Japanese. I have no Japanese blood in me. And the term would always make me feel like I was not an American.

I still feel like most people just glob all us Asians in one big group. Disregarding that some of us with Asian descent...
* were brought up in the same American school systems
* have no problems with the English language

Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 PM

436 posts, read 755,861 times
In terms of education, I lived most of my life in America. So, I have no problems with education that emphasizes on creativity. Nor, do I have a problem with a nose-in-the-books attitude to studying. Personally, I think I have benefited from both.
I have two very close friends that I met in college who are Asian Americans. Thankfully, one of them graduated from an elite law school; and had this great idea of making money by filing technology patents. Through collaboration, hard-work, luck and some creativity, we now own a few patents that are making us good money.
I can't say that we founded Calculus or the Internet. But, personally, I don't think you always have to sacrifice creativity with the nose-in-the book mentality. Personally, I think they compliment each other very well.

On the other hand, my wife grew up in Asia. Say what you want about Asian education; but to this day, she still amazes me with her reason and intelligence.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
They apply a time tested method... they study, they work hard,and they don't expect things to be handed to them.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I agree people do not have common sense. China and other Asian countries are extremely overpopulated when compared to the USA, hence the possibilities that they will immigrate to the USA: their education is free in their Asian homelands and they are trained in authoritarian collectivist styled environments, too. The ones who come to the USA will of course be educated and they will likely enforce their authoritarian educational beliefs onto their children who believe in doing anything to make the "A". Unfortunately, a lot of these people have standardized test smarts but rarely do they learn the subject. Common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knax View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with this. Genetics, work ethic? Really... last time I checked, there was only one 1st world country in Asia, and that was Japan. The rest of Asian is very poor. If this was all true, it would not be poor.
It has more something to do with legal immigrants... you need some education to get a work visa -> those who come over aren't dumb, you need often times College degrees, or other education -> offspring usually fares better, too.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:41 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
And higher education has proven to be worthless pablum and pedantry for the past three decades. What good is it to be time tested and to work hard for pablum and pedantry?

And how many of these extremely astute Asian-Americas do we see running for President of the USA or Mayors of large cities like L.A. or New York? Where were all these Asian-Americans to help with the economic meltdown, home foreclosures, education system, and other social problems? If they are so astute: where are they ? where are their pervasively amazing contributions to prove their academic worthiness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
They apply a time tested method... they study, they work hard,and they don't expect things to be handed to them.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
And higher education has proven to be worthless pablum and pedantry for the past three decades. What good is it to be time tested and to work hard for pablum and pedantry?

And how many of these extremely astute Asian-Americas do we see running for President of the USA or Mayors of large cities like L.A. or New York? Where were all these Asian-Americans to help with the economic meltdown, home foreclosures, education system, and other social problems? If they are so astute: where are they ? where are their pervasively amazing contributions to prove their academic worthiness?
They're mostly scientists, doctors and engineers, so they're quiet, not sio politically implicated...They think they must succeed by themselves.
And you have an Asian mayor in San Francisco and 2 Asian Americans governors in Louisiana (Bobby Jindal) and South Carolina (Nikki Haley)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies