Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Superior? What exactly makes them superior? Being able to score better on a test? Hah!

I wonder how well those Asian's scoring so high on those math tests socialize with people. The more I go through this world the more I see that mathematical capability and one's ability to understand other humans is mutually exclusive. If you are good at reading numbers, chances are you aren't that great at reading people. I don't consider that a trait of superiority.
True -- in college it was funny -- the professor would leave the lab for a few moments and the Asians would just continue on being very studious, carefully taking notes, never smiling, never enjoying themselves.

The Americans would have fun, maybe take a break, laugh a little. The Asians put in 4 times as much work and would only come out a little ahead or the same as the Americans who did some work but also enjoyed themselves and had some time to laugh and play.

If they are so superior, then why are they leaving their own countries to come to the USA?

Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
In the UK we have the term "Tiger Mum" (it may be common to the US aswell, i have no idea). Anyway, here's a couple of links to short videos on the subject from the same programme.

BBC Two - Wonderland, Series 4, Meet Britain's Chinese Tiger Mums, You have to be 10 out of 10

People are sending their children to 'Sunday schools' to learn Mandarin so their children are better equipped to succeed in a new Chinese economic world.

BBC Two - Wonderland, Series 4, Meet Britain's Chinese Tiger Mums, The children who are learning Chinese

Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
A little boy who was Chinese American in my class....at age eight...he stayed in during recess to study for a math test. He was terrified of not getting 100.

None of the African American kids ever felt "terror" about flunking math....or stayed in during recess to study...

But...there needs to be a balance.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
A little boy who was Chinese American in my class....at age eight...he stayed in during recess to study for a math test. He was terrified of not getting 100.

None of the African American kids ever felt "terror" about flunking math....or stayed in during recess to study...

But...there needs to be a balance.
I quite agree, a bit unnerving isn't it...

Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

But also they have no history of slavery in this country, they come over here well off already. They never faced any obstacles here.

So it's a combination of factors.
No slavery, but most of the ones I know came here with relatively little to nothing besides a respect for hard work and education.

But then it's like a preselection. Just like with the illegal immigrants from south of the border. It's preselected for the people who don't value education. Because they weren't offered that opportunity and it wasn't their culture back there.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
True -- in college it was funny -- the professor would leave the lab for a few moments and the Asians would just continue on being very studious, carefully taking notes, never smiling, never enjoying themselves.

The Americans would have fun, maybe take a break, laugh a little. The Asians put in 4 times as much work and would only come out a little ahead or the same as the Americans who did some work but also enjoyed themselves and had some time to laugh and play.

If they are so superior, then why are they leaving their own countries to come to the USA?
I had lots of fun. There's a time for work and a time for partying. Don't worry about the partying.

Why come here? Because there's no competition...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back in the asian countries, everyone is a bad-ass...

Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:

In many cases, the stoic personality traits many Asians develop growing up carry over into their professional lives as well. Most of the Asian doctors I and others I know have seen typically have terrible bedside manner. While they may undoubtedly know their stuff, the doctor-patient relationship ends up suffering from a lack of the very component of patient care that probably distinguishes most of their more socialized professional counterparts as more effective providers overall.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:44 AM

297 posts, read 740,623 times
Just to be clear, are we talking about the first-generation Asian-Americans who tend to push their children to have the drive to succeed so that the parents can live vicariously through them or just AA's in general?

Old 05-05-2012, 11:53 AM

867 posts, read 498,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I agree and disagree. Yes, they demand excellence. I also think they are smarter, on average. However, the two are related. With good parenting, a kid will tend to test better and to eventually improve their intelligence.
Their superior scores on IQ tests, as I recall, were for Asians in Asia, not in US.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 AM

867 posts, read 498,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Asians aren't "superior" to white people. No race is "superior" to another.
"Superior" no, "smarter", yes by 5%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies