Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 02:07 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It doesn't have to be....but don't kid yourself, the kids with the high SAT's will generally be much more successful than the average student.

Go to any hospital, ask the doctors how they did.

In my field, if you go to a conference and ask how many people got perfect math scores you will see a sea of hands.

Oh, and lastly....a national merit finalist is a golden ticket into most schools in the country and tons of scholarships. High SAT scores have an immediate financial benefit when attending college.
The keys to economic success in the future will be leadership skills, creativity and entrepreneurial spirit- things the SAT doesn't measure. Perfect SATs will get you a nicely appointed cube working for someone else. One of my favorite education writers: Jay Mathews: Amid the SAT-obsessed, this family doesn't live by the numbers

Old 05-06-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Interpretation "I (or my kid's) SAT score were (are expected to be) horrible, and my career reflects this.
Ha ha, no. No need to justify anything here, but I encourage my kids to follow their passion and to never, ever work for someone else if financial prosperity is a goal for them.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:22 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
This would only impress you if you thought that the SAT was in any way important to life success.
It's true the test can be overemphasized. But Asians do generally do better in life in general. Better off financially. Better educated. Better health & longer life expectancy. It doesn't mean all Asians do better than everyone else or that they're perfect, but the results speak for themselves.

Overall, they are better at delayed gratification than the population at large, which is why they achieve more educationally, in health, and financially than the population at large.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's true the test can be overemphasized. But Asians do generally do better in life in general. Better off financially. Better educated. Better health & longer life expectancy. It doesn't mean all Asians do better than everyone else or that they're perfect, but the results speak for themselves.

Overall, they are better at delayed gratification than the population at large, which is why they achieve more educationally, in health, and financially than the population at large.
I think it's difficult to generalize a whole race of people, I'm happy for anyone who achieves their goals.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Plus they become miserable awkward adults many times. Not always but it does happen on a large scale. You have to have that drive yourself if it is going to last. The tiger mom with a whip will not be effective but for so long.

Plus check this out
Asian Americans' Rising Suicide Rates -- Three Students Take their Lives - NAM
Again, you make an excellent point.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:05 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I love when people think once race is "superior" to another. If Asians are so superior, why are they the world's superpower!?

You have millions of uneducated and illiterate Asians in Asia.

Asians who make it to America tend to be of a family with means. They come here for purposes of education. It's rare a peasant from the farmland will make it here.

Asians are not superior. OMG. Really people?
The same can be said about East Indians and Africans. Most of those people that come here as immigrants tend to be middle class or better in their home countries.

Basically these people use their positions of privilege in their home countries and parlay them to more success in the United States. There is nothing inherently wrong with that. But to uphold these people are somehow better based on race is a bit of stretch.

As in most societies people with better opportunities tend to have better outcomes.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
I love when people think once race is "superior" to another. If Asians are so superior, why are they the world's superpower!?

Asians who make it to America tend to be of a family with means. They come here for purposes of education. It's rare a peasant from the farmland will make it here.

I don't think any race is "superior" - whatever that means. But your comments greatly understate the fact that many Asian countries and cities are among the economic success stories of modern times. Japan and South Korea are developed nations. Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore are among the top cities in the world. Seoul, Dubai, Shang Hai, Beijing, Taipei and Doha are some other prominent cities in the world today.

The world isn't what it used to be 50 years ago. If you travel to these places, you'd be surprised at how much affluence they have now. And it's only going to continue to increase.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-06-2012 at 06:18 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 05:40 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
The 2010 SAT college entrance test results are in. Historically, back in the day when I went to MIT, the common wisdom was that Asians scored better in math, but were disadvantaged because of the verbal scores.

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only, per the Terms of Service.

Asian Americans are #1 on the SAT

They will be the new American Elite
It is mostly genetic.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:43 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,822 times
Quote:

That is untrue. I went to college with many of them. Many of them are friends of mine to this day. Yes, some of them or the parents flew here on planes. But many of them had parents that were Boat People the fled and came here with nothing and did not have any education or even speak English. And yet their kids have thrived here and are admitted to top colleges and do well. Explain that.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
That is untrue. I went to college with many of them. Many of them are friends of mine to this day. Yes, some of them or the parents flew here on planes. But many of them had parents that were Boat People the fled and came here with nothing and did not have any education or even speak English. And yet their kids have thrived here and are admitted to top colleges and do well. Explain that.
This is entirely based on what perspective that you are looking at things from.

I am regularly on the campus of a large Midwestern university. There lots are Asian kids tooling around in Mercedes, BMWs, Land Rovers, Porsches, and there is even one kid with a Ferrari. Most of these kids are Chinese. The whole "Boat People" phenomena is more associated with Vietnamese and Laotian immigrants. Sorry but the majority of Asian immigrants are not Vietnamese or Laotian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies