Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM

593 posts, read 470,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Bs.

only in the eyes of a Bigot. but I bet if this was put to the test, I would win.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,615 times
As with most ignorant generalizations that some people apply to everything based on the few anecdotes we know of (or cherry-picked stats we read about), this one is pretty shallow. First of all, not all Asians have experienced these levels of success. My SO is naturalized citizen but a native of Laos, and many Lao, Thai, Hmong and Filipino communities in America struggle with poverty, gambling addictions, high dropout rates, alcohol and drug addition, and a myriad of other problems that have hit other minority populations. There are also many Chinese immigrants to America who struggle on a daily basis to make ends meet. Further, "Asian" refers to more than just "'dem Chinese peoples" that Americans almost automatically default to. It is a much more complex situation than depicted in the title of this thread.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM

679 posts, read 614,525 times
Actually according to the study made by the Census of Stay at Home Moms, Asians don't really do all that much. If we look at the numbers they give they say that of the SAH households the racial breakdown can be seen as such

White 84.9%
Black 5.3%
Asian 7.6%

They said that their studies show that SAH households take up 25.8% of households. Now if we look at the demographics for the US over that same period we see

White 72.4%
Black 12.6%
Asian 4.8%

Seeing as Asians only take up a bit under 5% of the population and then that there 7.6% of the population of SAH households be with Asian women. This shows that there seems to be a higher pre-disposition of Asian households to have SAH moms. But remember, that's when we take into account the general population aspect that only a bit over a quarter of households have SAH moms.

So this could lead you to assume that Asian households probably have a bit over the stereotypical quarter of households having SAH moms. If you look at the data using the same logic, the same can be said for White households. But no matter what it shows that no matter how you twist the data, its very very doubtful you can get something that means that Asian households have SAH moms 80% of the time

Sources:
http://www.census.gov/population/www...er_Elliott.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra..._and_ethnicity

Last edited by eborg; 07-10-2013 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: citing sources

Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 PM

593 posts, read 470,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
As with most ignorant generalizations that some people apply to everything based on the few anecdotes we know of (or cherry-picked stats we read about), this one is pretty shallow. First of all, not all Asians have experienced these levels of success. My SO is naturalized citizen but a native of Laos, and many Lao, Thai, Hmong and Filipino communities in America struggle with poverty, gambling addictions, high dropout rates, alcohol and drug addition, and a myriad of other problems that have hit other minority populations. There are also many Chinese immigrants to America who struggle on a daily basis to make ends meet. Further, "Asian" refers to more than just "'dem Chinese peoples" that Americans almost automatically default to. It is a much more complex situation than depicted in the title of this thread.
^^^This was anecdotal...do you have ANY stats to back up your claims?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 PM

229 posts, read 293,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post
What exactly are you arguing here? The reason majority of certain people are functionally illiterate after 12 years of free and mandatory schooling is due to mothers being at work instead of staying at home?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:58 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
Hi--I'm "Asian-American" (although I prefer to be labeled as American since I was born here) and I flunked horribly on SAT's.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Here's some data on Hmong and Lao communities (yes, they count as Asian as well)
Hmong and Lao Studies

Note that a completion of a Bachelor's degree is very low among this population - lower than the national average. The poverty rate is also higher. They are 4 times more likely to be employed in manufacturing jobs than the average American, and are thus subject to structural downsizing as we move towards a service economy.

There is more out there about the Vietnamese and Thai communities as well - I can look for it.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:14 PM

Here is some more discussion on the wide range of educational attainment among people from across Asia.

Article

As you can see this is much more of a complex issue than "Asians are doing better than white people".

Old 07-10-2013, 02:18 PM

Here is some data about problem gaming issues experienced among immigrants to America coming from South East Asia.

NAPAFASA Report

Old 07-10-2013, 02:51 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,226,366 times
Quote:
I will go on to say I feel that out of 10 Asian families, 8 of the mothers are 100% stay-at-home moms
ALL DAY

That's not even close! Asian mothers have similar percentage of stay-at-home moms as Whites and Latino, according to the government census report.

Black mothers are the only group who differ from the norm, with half as many stay-as-home moms as other ethnicity. There is virtually no difference between Asians, Whites, and Latino.

Quote:

Black women were about half as likely as White women to be a stay-at-home mother, while the odds for women of other races did not differ from those of White women.

Stay-at-home motherhood not an option for most black women | theGrio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies