Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times

Advertisements

Before we talk about making them illegal we must figure out how to replace the tax money that will be lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times
I hope so. Cigarettes are practically cancer death sticks. Plus they smell nasty and contain over 4,000 man made chemicals including arsenic, rat poison, and tar. Even at the current prices marketers charge for a pack of cigarettes, I still think the prices are still too low. I support legalizing marijuana though, because marijuana is a natural grown plant, but I still wouldn't ever smoke it or use it. I got too much cigarette exposure as a young child from my grandma smoking it (she smoked almost a pack a day.) I used to sit in the living room, breathing in the smoke, unaware of the dangers of it. Wish I knew better then, and/or I wish my Grandma had been more concerned about it.

My view:

Cigarettes- should be illegal
Marijuana- should be legal

Old 01-20-2011, 06:08 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Not as long as the tobacco lobby $$$ keep rolling in to Congress

Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

My mom buys her smokes in Kentucky when she comes to visit. At least 4 dollars a pack cheaper at times.
I roll my own, costs about $10 a carton if not less. Not me in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X8bAzs2jxk

As frar as the OP goes I'm surprised there isn't large black market now. I could probably sit at home witha such a machine with some minor modifications a few hours a day and make a six figure profit yearly.

Making cigarettes illegal would create largest black market ever known, more crime, all kinds of problems. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't start to see the same crime problems associated with drugs like heroin in the future as they continue to go up...

Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The "Drug War" is a lost cause and everyone knows that it is. Now comes a new war that will make millions of ordinary people criminals.

From the story......
"The battle over cigarettes is heating up -- and the momentum to criminalize tobacco smoking continues to build in the United States and around the world. "

Will Cigarettes Be Made Illegal in the Near Future? | Drugs | AlterNet
Will cigarettes be mad illegal in the near future??
I don't know if the cigarettes will get mad but it sure
will **** off a lot of smokers.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Default Will cigarettes be made illegal in the near future??

Nope to many taxes to the government and the government regulates and allows the chemicals to be added so why would they make them illegal, the government loves cigarettes although they put up a front that says they don't.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Not a chance. Big tobacco has the republicans paid off, but it likely will be taxed to hell and back over and over, likely see 15-$20 a pack in the future.
Yet the tobacco farmer gets crop support.

Is It Time To End Tobacco Subsidies?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
will cigaretts be made ilegal in the near future??? if they do>>> so another war begins..>>bad idea

Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I hope, and I'm a smoker!
Me too and I hope so.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The "Drug War" is a lost cause and everyone knows that it is. Now comes a new war that will make millions of ordinary people criminals.

From the story......
"The battle over cigarettes is heating up -- and the momentum to criminalize tobacco smoking continues to build in the United States and around the world. "

Will Cigarettes Be Made Illegal in the Near Future? | Drugs | AlterNet

With a pack costing what..$85.00 (ok I jest) these days of which $83.00 is in taxes the government is going to lose a lot of revenue there.

Shades of prohibition. I can see a flourishing black market here. Maybe time to stock up on rolling papers and learn how to grow tobacco ??
I'll venture out in my trench coat with the inside flap loaded with filter or non filter "hand rolled". Sorry..don't know how to do menthol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies