Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,358,777 times

Advertisements

There is a crisis in state and municipal finance. That much is clear. What hasn't been fully understood is that the fate of the Democratic Party is bound up in the resolution of that crisis.

Douglas E. Schoen: The Union Threat to the Democrats' Future - WSJ.com

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-21-2011 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: too long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,358,777 times
Some hope is possible : Gov Andrew Cuomo for example.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:10 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,192,655 times
The democrats lost because this was an anti-incumbent, "kick the bums out", type of election over the economy. Making this is a mandate of one type of political theory over another is a mistake--the average American just cares if they have money coming in, a roof over their heads, etc., and if one side isn't getting the job done, they'll try the other. I'm a political moderate--I'm not on either side, or I fall on one side or the other on different issues. I think most independent voters are like me. You need to take your partisan blinders off and look at reality. If the R's make the mistake of swinging to an extreme and trying to push those extreme policies through, they're going to be sitting in the same seat the Dems are now in a couple of years. As for funding--the Dems got big money from the groups you listed, but it's a small part of their actual voting base. The R's got big money from corporations, (and it's an equally small part of their voting base), especially since the Supreme Court allowed the floodgates to be opened on that end. Does that bother you too? It bothers me. We need campaign finance reform in this country so it isn't an issue on either side, and to support anything else is just partisan political BS.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 PM

88,803 posts, read 44,640,644 times
That's what happens when the free skittles run out.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,890,500 times
Quote:
The democrats lost because this was an anti-incumbent, "kick the bums out", type of election over the economy.
Wrong. The GOP/Republicans/Tea Party candidates across the country ran against obamacare, against the obama/pelosi/reid radical liberal agenda and they were rewarded with an historic victory across the nation, grabbing more governorships, even more legislatures, even more "trifecta" and gave the democrats and obama a shellacking in the House.

There are some Blue Dogs that survived the slaughter, because they voted against, TARP, against obamacare, against the stimulus.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM

866 posts, read 1,558,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Wrong. The GOP/Republicans/Tea Party candidates across the country ran against obamacare, against the obama/pelosi/reid radical liberal agenda and they were rewarded with an historic victory across the nation, grabbing more governorships, even more legislatures, even more "trifecta" and gave the democrats and obama a shellacking in the House.

There are some Blue Dogs that survived the slaughter, because they voted against, TARP, against obamacare, against the stimulus.
Definitely! In fact, I think the scenario of the person you're quoting described perfectly what the democrats did wrong after 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies