Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Is this crazy? Or what? Has any whack job lefty ever called you conservative?
Nope. As a side note, Summers has also called my Congressman who I have campaigned against and can't stand (Peter King) a Progressive, and get this Jim Demint as well.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Outside of being picky on the magazine/ clip issue, its clear the majority favor restrictions on being able to shoot more than 10 rounds without reloading.

Aside from that again looking at the co-sponsor list, I don't see any of them that could be vulnerable. Not to mention I don't know where you are getting the Grayson looked unstoppable line, he was always a liberal Democrat in a very marginal district.
What majority is this you speak of? The demographics of this thread alone show little support for further restrictions. The makeup of the co-sponsor list shows this to be a partisan issue. That by no means points to a majority favoring further restrictions.

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
So there can be constitutional restrictions placed on guns and gun ownership.
Constitutional according to who? You? What I'm saying is that there are already restrictions on guns and gun owner ship which in turn leads irrational people to want to restrict them more and more, hence the bill we're talking about. At some point people claimed that the restrictions we have now wouldn't lead to more gun control yet this thread proves that wrong.

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Because nobody want to like there. Kinda like the Carolinas.
NJ is losing people, NC (esp. Wake County) is gaining people. Never heard of Research Triangle Park, have you? But hey, you got that whole bean counter financial shtick going.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yeah, it's only the difference between someone knowing a thing or two about guns and someone who is spoonfed media material on what is good and bad. Like the other person said, you can get around the high cap mag problem by practice quick reload techniques. Also, what about the stock mags for Glocks and XDs that hold 15-19 rounds? You can't shorten the mag and still have it fit in the magwell.
My point was the poll results are the poll results. Regardless of the correct terminology the American public support limiting someone to 10 rounds without reloading.

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Responding to the bold; She's been doing everything she can for quite some time to make the pro-gun movement look bad. No offense intended but if we alienate a few fair weather friends that think further unconstitutional restrictions couldn't hurt so be it.

We (the pro-gun crowd) are either going to win this battle or lose it. Every victory on the part of the anti-gunners is one step closer to us losing it. When was the last time you saw one of the anti-gun crowd compromise to make themselves look better?

No more compromises.

Keep in mind what is happening to the pro abortion crowd. they took the same stance you are and they are now facing more restrictions and a rapid change in public opinion that can be traced back to their objection to a ban on partial birth abortions.

Most people view a ban on partial birth abortions as reasonable. The rabid defense by the pro abortion crowd made them look unreasonable and their overall argument was tainted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
What majority is this you speak of? The demographics of this thread alone show little support for further restrictions. The makeup of the co-sponsor list shows this to be a partisan issue. That by no means points to a majority favoring further restrictions.
They have a Republican-lite on their side, so they got that going for them.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
NJ is losing people, NC (esp. Wake County) is gaining people. Never heard of Research Triangle Park, have you? But hey, you got that whole bean counter financial shtick going.

Wrong again, I am in pharmaceuticals. Good old Chris got rid of the millionaires tax, the wealth flight will be reversed by my man.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
My point was the poll results are the poll results. Regardless of the correct terminology the American public support limiting someone to 10 rounds without reloading.
Fortunately we live in a Republic and not a social democracy, so we got that going for us.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
OK, now I understand but I don't think it is smart politics. How many people who are against it in this forum have such a thing? How many people would it impact. Wouldn't it be smarter to give it up rather than appear to resist even the most insignificant restriction.
Actually the analogy to the gas tank of a car is closer to the situation. A car can only go as far as the fuel in it's tank will support the combustion in the engine, then you have to fill the tank again, however a magazine fed weapon no matter if the magazine holds 10 or 30 rounds is quick to reload, so changing the spent mag for a charged one is work of seconds.

Bills like this one are pure hyperbole. Reduced capacity does not reduce lethality of the round in the wrong hands, it just superfically appears that some idiot in the government is trying to fix a problem by doing something that will have no impact on the true reason for the problem.

Introducing garbage bills like this one only pander to the segment of the population who have no knowledge of firearms. It proposes a simple solution to a problem, but like most legislaton of this kind, only serves to drive up the price of magazines and increase sales during the debate as folks stockpile them.

It only takes one round to kill. I don't use a lot of high capacity magazines, but there is absolutely no logical reason to ban them simply for a political agenda.

Why fight this? Because this is simply another waste of time and money for some congressmen to appear to be "tough on crime" while doing nothing but infringing upon law abiding citizens rights to engage in a legal pursuit by attacking an inanimate object.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies