Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:44 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
At this point, it is not a formal, mandated austerity like we have seen in Europe, but the results are just the same. Taxes are going up, services are being slashed dramatically, thousands of state and city employees are being laid off, and politicians seem to be endlessly talking about ways to make even deeper budget cuts. Unfortunately, even with the incredibly severe budget cuts that we have seen already, many state and local governments across the United States are still facing a sea of red ink as far as the eye can see.
Austerity In America: 22 Signs That It Is Already Here And That It Is Going To Be Very Painful

So .. are any of you guys ready for this?

I feel that as time goes on, we'll be seeing a spike in the unemployment numbers as local city and state workers and teachers (to name a few) are laid off .. The emergency funding from the Federal Government is starting to run out, leaving the states to make up for their own budget shortfalls.

Local cities, counties and states are slashing services and raising taxes ..

One morning you are going to wake up to discover that your local school has been closed, and the city police don't patrol your neighborhood and you'll have to carry your own trash down to the landfill .. ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 02:52 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
It sounds like a Libertarian dream come true.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It sounds like a Libertarian dream come true.
Only from the standpoint of fiscal responsibility .. The rest of the dream can't be realized until your typical run-of-the-mill Republican or Democrat steps out of the way

Old 01-21-2011, 04:04 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times
This is just more evidence that America is in no position to go "nation building" or have bases all over the world.

The MIC is what's killing us and it has to stop.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
It is also more evidence that we should stop spending.

We citizens (including me) have mostly adjusted to the new reality.

Moderation my friends, moderation.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:27 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times
Lots of Americans have been on the equivalent of a drunken binge with money for the last couple of decades, and they don't want to pay the bill. I hope this is a wake up call. We have zero consumer debt, retirement and college savings, our house is paid off this summer, and that's it--we're professionals, but we're not wealthy by anyones standards (and we have 5 kids to put through college on our own). Maybe it's going to take this to get people to wake up--there is no blank check. Fortunately I live in a upper midwestern state where most people are like us--flashy is considered vulgar, and people tend to live within their means and pay as they go--it's a farming culture. That said--our schools aren't in the mess they are in many other places, because they've been conservative on spending as well. I also think it's significant that it's an entirely RED state, and they've raised state, county and school district taxes. People here don't like it, but we accept that taxes are part of the cost of living in a fairly depopulated area--somebody has to pay the bill. For those of you who are rabidly anti-tax--if you want those services to continue, you're going to have to pay for them, just like everyone else. Just as you can't get away with spending every personal dime you have, you have to pay for services unless you want things to fall apart. Our state has already cut things to the bone--there's no other option. We need to make cuts in spending on a federal level, but to do that without bringing in more income as well is a joke.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,765,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It is also more evidence that we should stop spending.

We citizens (including me) have mostly adjusted to the new reality.

Moderation my friends, moderation.
The government spends 80% of the money on Defense, Social Security, and Medicare/Medicaid.

How much should they cut?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The government spends 80% of the money on Defense, Social Security, and Medicare/Medicaid.

They should cut all 3 of them ..

Soon, we'll be adding Obamacare to the list, and given the track record of Social Security and Medicare, Obamacare will be bankrupt as well soon enough.

I guess this is what happens when we all sit around for 40 years waiting for the Government to take care of us ..

Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post

You are mixing federal spending with state spending here.

Don't lump the two together.
The Fed doesn't pay for your trash service.

Each have their own set of problems.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 AM

Sure .. this is happening with the states now.

Cutting programs and services .. raising taxes.

Wonder what it's going to be like at the Federal level in a few years when all of Obama's new laws kick in .. I mean, higher taxes at the local level are going to have to compete with higher taxes and costs at the Federal level ..

I see the "Perfect Storm" brewing .. when the two finally come together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies