Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Obama met or exceeded your expectations as a Black President
Less than expected 56 68.29%
Better that expected 26 31.71%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,776,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't know why you have to place so much emphasis on "first Black president". Why do some people have to label every single thing. i suppose that if he were white that you would have just labeled him "American"? Comments like this are fomenting the seeds of division in this country that is ripping it apart.
He is performing "less than expected" to me,
??????????????? ? did you ask the same question of all those who were orgasmic over the opportunity to vote for the first black president ? That is the whole point of this thread! FACT: many people voted for Obama because of his skin color. Question: how has that been working out for you? but he certainly has had more on his plate than the previous Presidents combined. are you sure you want to stand by that statement ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times
I did not vote for Obama. My own research into his history, background didn't reveal any type of leadership position or leading any efforts. At this time in history with the crisis and all I felt we needed someone who had years in office under his belt and lots of leadership experience; someone who was not afraid to make decisions and stick with them.

Two years laters...yes Obama has exceeded what my expectations were of an unexperienced Senator who leaped to the top office of the United States to lead the country.
One who waffles, delegates, caves into pressure and forgets his campaign promises that got him into that office.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,706,153 times
This thread is interesting. Nearly all the posts are hypercritical of a person who inherited the worst financial crisis in 70 years. I have a sneaking feeling this is a pretty slanted audience.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This thread is interesting. Nearly all the posts are hypercritical of a person who inherited the worst financial crisis in 70 years. I have a sneaking feeling this is a pretty slanted audience.
And you would think that with the worst financial crisis in 70 years the America people would have wanted someone who had experience and leadership in his background.

OJT (on the job training) is not something for this time in history wouldn't you agree to that ?

McCain no way. But I think Hillary with Bill in the background may have done a better job. Lots of experience and leadership abilities between the Clintons as well as popularity could have gone a long way in creating more bipartisianship in Congress during these past two years.

Instead we have polarization and with this past election more polarization.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:37 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,194,301 times
What does race have to do with his presidency?

Funny, I see people, not race.
Apparently some people see a person's color before their personhood.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

For some it could have influenced their vote.
For Blacks, this was a chance to have someone of their race in the top office of the US.
For others though, there was no way they would vote a Black man into office regardless of his credentials.

Not everyone is oblivious to race, including the minorities.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:50 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,148,027 times
Default Rabies shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I have to laugh at this idea that being in a position to "understand job creation, business, and he understands both politics AND the constitution" somehow turns Republicans on. Conservatives and Republicans don't give a damn about that but they love to say they do.......

Ross Perot ran, and had all of those qualifications, and you guys still ran out and gave your votes to H.W. Bush, who hadn't created any damn thing.

As for Herman Cain, if Repubs weren't willing to vote for Perot, they most definitely won't vote for HIM!!
1. What makes you think I am a republican?

2. I voted for Perot.

3. I am more of a constitutionalist than anything, and vote for the person of either part whom I think will do the better job, ie, the tallest pygmy.

4. I was speaking as a voter who likes to be informed, and someone who researches people before taking action and selecting them. Quite frankly on this last election, I would have preferred voting for Bugs Bunny, as the cartoon character would have been a better selection than either candidate.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,148,027 times
Default Justification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If I did, does it really matter? That's not what this thread is about, and my father taught me to NEVER justify who I vote for - he always said "voting is even more personal than a woman's weight, and just as dangerous to talk about."

P.S. Note that I never said anything about qualifications or resumes, as I only mentioned beliefs and inner qualities (which are most important to me).
The question was whether you thought Obama was more qualified than Hillary.

Nowhere did I see anyone asking for a justification for your vote, just asking your opinion.

Additionally as a fellow yid, I would think that qualifications for a job would be as important to you as it is to me. You wouldn't ask a high school student to design a bridge you are going to drive across every day, who would you vote for someone to lead the country who isn't qualified to do so?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:26 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,776,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

see post #71.........were you awake during the campaign? Are you going to maintain that during the general election campaign there was not euphoria among people across the political spectrum about the idea that this was a historic opportunity because we are able to vote for a black man. Are you really trying to say that Obamas skin color had nothing to do with his election..........Please, I said then when called a racist for opposing his politics......"I don't care what color some one is I voted according to their politics" It was the self righteous left who then said it was not only ok but it was Virtuous to vote for a man because he was black..........now I am asking....was it all you thought it would be ? Spare us your patronizing, faux ignorance!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:34 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,488 posts, read 7,157,262 times
I am worried about several things he has done that are yet to be determined. I am still in question as to his resolve in our matters as a country and his own personal influence as president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies