Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:32 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

The environment is a political issue for me because the work I do is very much regulated by environmental codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:43 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Because they have deep pockets and are masters at playing the general public for suckers, while doing their fair share to accelerating the practice known as outsourcing, as well as the millions of jobs in this country which were never created because of the legions of obstacles they've deliberately erected, with plenty of support & protection from their Democratic henchmen.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Wel for oe thing its obcvious from the information that those such a globasl warming scientist by their own e-mails are just anther special interest groupdp wanting funding tht ends up in their own pockets. The corruption that is so common in humans really exist everywhere.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:19 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
climate always has been and always will be a huge political issue. what i find frustrating is that people try to argue the science without knowing what the heck they're talking about. that's why i tend to stay out of the argument. i'm not a climatologist and my guess is 99% of the people on c-d are not either. when it comes to the health of our planet, my personal felling is to err on the side of caution.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:26 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman91 View Post
I'm more than a little irritated that our politicians are at each others throats over the environment and the EPA. Considering that the evironment is where we live, can't we all agree that it needs to be protected? I don't know why anybody, liberal, conservative, or whatever, would want to reduce EPA regulations that protect the planet that we all LIVE on. Yeah it costs taxpayer dollars but saving the planet is a good cause! If lower taxes mean more us than a healthy planet that I think it's about time we take a look at ourselves in the mirror and think about what needs to change.
The short answer is that we can protect the environment a bit less and have a more functional economy. We don't need to intentionally trash it. But back off on the protection a bit. And get China and India to do more to protect the environment.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That's a ridiculous statement as there has been quite a few scientists, peer-reviewed papers, and outright exposure of data manipulation that has shown the whole global warming bit to be what it really is, a politically and financially motivated scam.

The environment is politicized because politicians decided to make it so, such as embracing bad science in the form of global warming and calling it a "crisis". Then, they tried to tax it and use it as a means to bring economic success to their greatest contributors (GE anyone?).
Bullpucky. Suffice it to say the VAST majority of scientists believe in global warming. I work with national parks, I see glaciers melting, bird returning weeks earlier in spring, flowers blooming earlier, global temperature rising,etc. Yes, some scientist cook the books, science contains fraud like another field, but trust me, nearly every one I know is very concerned. And none of us get a dime for feeling that way. Hardly a scam. This is the sort of issue we must work together to deal with.

What is interesting is that in the current political climate, all the blowhards have to do is cast doubt, and people will start believing that immunization causes autism, global warming a scam, evolution is a myth, smoking does not cause cancer, etc.

Please put the politics aside on this one. Read Science, Nature, Ecology, Scientific American, the Proceedings of the National Academy. You will learn a complex, but consistent story. Don't get is from your favorite partisan rag.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Bullpucky. Suffice it to say the VAST majority of scientists believe in global warming. I work with national parks, I see glaciers melting, bird returning weeks earlier in spring, flowers blooming earlier, global temperature rising,etc. Yes, some scientist cook the books, science contains fraud like another field, but trust me, nearly every one I know is very concerned. And none of us get a dime for feeling that way. Hardly a scam. This is the sort of issue we must work together to deal with.

What is interesting is that in the current political climate, all the blowhards have to do is cast doubt, and people will start believing that immunization causes autism, global warming a scam, evolution is a myth, smoking does not cause cancer, etc.

Please put the politics aside on this one. Read Science, Nature, Ecology, Scientific American, the Proceedings of the National Academy. You will learn a complex, but consistent story. Don't get is from your favorite partisan rag.
And I work with the science. I have a MAJOR issue with the manipulation of data. Part of my work is modeling and simulation and I can guarantee you that without accurate datasets, you end up with poor results. I am ashamed of those scientists.

I do believe in protection of the environment, as I have said in several threads on this issue (what is this #500 now?). What I do not want is major legislation based upon faulty data; especially at the expense of our economy.

My personal belief is that this is cyclical and normal but again I have no proof to back up my personal belief and am just basing that upon the various studies, etc that I have read.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Suffice it to say the VAST majority of scientists believe in global warming.
I wouldn't argue this point but what is in question is how much and if it is caused by man.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Part of my work is modeling and simulation and I can guarantee you that without accurate datasets, you end up with poor results.
This of course is part of the issue, often the records have issues for which they need to adjust the data enter man and inevitably mans bias.... For example we have raw data represented by the blue line that indicates global cooling, obviously around 1940 or so an issue arises, different thermometer, station moved or whatever the case may be that has caused the readings to drop... Where the bigger issue arises is the adjustment made to the raw data to compensate for it indicated by the red line, there is lot of examples like this where they will adjust to cooler temperature earlier and hotter ones later because that is the way it is supposed to look right?

The Smoking Gun At Darwin Zero | Watts Up With That?

Here's my favorite quote from the HARRY_READ_ME.txt file that was part of the CRU release. If you're unfamiliar with this document it is a diary thtt spans a few years presumably created by Mr. Ian (Harry) Harris of the CRU working with the datasets.... If you're famialr with DB's and coding it's great read, you may even feel little bit of sympathy for the poor man. It's littered with similar comments.

Quote:
....I'm hitting yet another problem that's based on the hopeless state of our databases. There is no uniform data integrity, it's just a catalogue of issues that continues to grow as they're found.”

Old 01-22-2011, 11:23 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This of course is part of the issue, often the records have issues for which they need to adjust the data enter man and inevitably mans bias.... For example we have raw data represented by the blue line that indicates global cooling, obviously around 1940 or so an issue arises, different thermometer, station moved or whatever the case may be that has caused the readings to drop... Where the bigger issue arises is the adjustment made to the raw data to compensate for it indicated by the red line, there is lot of examples like this.

The Smoking Gun At Darwin Zero | Watts Up With That?

Here's my favorite quote from the HARRY_READ_ME.txt file that was part of the CRU release. If you're unfamiliar with this document it is a diary thtt spans a few years presumably created by Mr. Ian (Harry) Harris of the CRU working with the datasets.... If you're famialr with DB's and coding it's great read.
Cannot stress the importance on uniform data standards. It's all about standards - much like IEEE did for us. I am working on current issues right now because my latest work takes multiple databases to present a comprehensive view. The algorithm you use to do this can mean the difference between accurately portraying the data and outright misrepresenting said data. The project I'm working has been 10 years in the making if that gives you any indication of the complexity. The latest is to throw SOAs and cloud computing at it but it still does not resolve the underlying fundamental issue of a lack of dataset standards. Thus, I am dismayed when I read the methodolgies employed in the global warming findings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies