Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Unfortunately the Europeans can't sustain what you love about Europe, something for nothing. Protugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain are on the verge of insolvency. The UK has to dramatically revamp the NHS to keep it afloat.

By the way, your more people=more GDP is pretty much wrong. China has about a billion more people than the US, economic systems means something. The Chinese are begining to understand that, that is why they are catching up to the US. But using your logic their economy should be 4 times the US or EU.
Well, one thing Glasvegas did not clarify is that Europe is very varied. Greece seems patently corrupt. Ireland, Portugal, and Spain were hammered by exposure to the housing bubble of British equity wealth. The Germans are having to bail them out. No single country serves to describe Europe, and the Germans and Scandinavians seem to be perpetual overacheivers. You could cherry pick European vignettes and be quite wrong about the whole. Far better to travel to some of them and see for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, one thing Glasvegas did not clarify is that Europe is very varied. Greece seems patently corrupt. Ireland, Portugal, and Spain were hammered by exposure to the housing bubble of British equity wealth. The Germans are having to bail them out. No single country serves to describe Europe, and the Germans and Scandinavians seem to be perpetual overacheivers. You could cherry pick European vignettes and be quite wrong about the whole. Far better to travel to some of them and see for yourself.
I have traveled to Europe, quite a bit. Of course they are varied but the fact remains with static or declining populations in most European countries, their generous social benefits are unsustainable. Even the overacheiving Germans recognize that fact.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I have traveled to Europe, quite a bit. Of course they are varied but the fact remains with static or declining populations in most European countries, their generous social benefits are unsustainable. Even the overacheiving Germans recognize that fact.
Very good point.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically human are not eqaul in ability.,drive a nor intelligents. Some are handicapped at birth or later. Its really those who have the abilty to contribute to the general welfare but don't that distrubs. Basicalkly enomiies collpaqse when there are too many dependents and of cousre that maens less for those who are disabled. Bill Clinton is travelig the country. One of his main pointsd is that indivduals need to do more because Gobentmnt control to poverty is that 80% of funding goes to urban areas with 20% of poverty. Two areas have 80% but get 20% of funding. The politics of poverty he called it.That is government redistribution. Its always and always will be politcally driven by politcal power.
Some people are born with a natural gift for spelling and grammar while others just aren't. Either that or they are too lazy to proofread!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Why do you think there is such a range of acheivement and wealth in America? It seem like we are a nation of the obese and ultramarathoners, nonintellectuals and super scholars, working poor and uber rich,etc., etc.

It seems to affect the political process strongly. Although most Americans would consider themselves much more strongly egalitarian than the Europeans, which a feudal system, we are nonetheless highly stratified.

The mean means little. The median American is most of us, and that person is cash poor, debt laden, and worried. I guess I am wondering why we have allowed such tremendous inequalities to develop in our country. Economically, but in many other dimensions of human achievement.

It seems to me that Canada, the European, and East Asian countries are more equal, whereas Latin American is even more extreme. It seems to be that we are heading toward the latter. Do you agree, disagree? And where do you think we are headed?

this is the land of opportunity.................if you got $$$$$
that's why so many wealthy people from around the world come here to get even richer

an above average poor kid can achieve wealth in this country with, smarts, a good work ethic and a few breaks.

A rich kid with average intelligence and an average work ethic can also achieve wealth in this country by simply not screwing up

Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
this is the land of opportunity.................if you got $$$$$
that's why so many wealthy people from around the world come here to get even richer

an above average poor kid can achieve wealth in this country with, smarts, a good work ethic and a few breaks.

A rich kid with average intelligence and an average work ethic can also achieve wealth in this country by simply not screwing up
I had nothing and just a HS education.

It can be done.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Some people are born with a natural gift for spelling and grammar while others just aren't. Either that or they are too lazy to proofread!
Internet 101.

If you can't debate the post, attack spelling and grammar.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 PM

That post was pretty horrendous in terms of spelling, and I am not picky. Are people posting more from blackberries or voice recognition these days? My boss has sent me several e-mails lately horrendously laden with errors. I am assuming it is something crazy with her blackberry. So, I suspect the person can spell ok, just something went haywire.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:14 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

It can be done.
and you're above average............good for you

one of my best friends is a pothead college drop out and he's about to take his parents machine shop business over at 31 years of age.

if he grew up in my house he would be working at a gas station but because of his dad he will make more money than I will ever see if he doesn't drive the place into the ground.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:13 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

It can be done.
It can be.

But how easy is it? Should it be made harder, or easier?

Do we want more people to manage to do it, or less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies