Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,940,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I don't like Comcast but I sure like this last decision. I wonder if the left's call for a boycott will work as good as the one they called for against Glenn Beck?
Liberals pay for Cable and internet connection. Besides the call for a boycott of Comcast has been going on for a long time, mostly because of customer complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,921,017 times
The least you could do is get the name right.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:48 AM

406 posts, read 495,434 times
http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=433x594857

Comcast VP and lobbyist raised over $6 million for Obama campaign

Last edited by jambini; 01-22-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Thats the price paid for gubemit's allowing Comcast a virtual monopoly on cable services in many locals.
Most people hate the monopolies that cable companies have. It sucks. Why do we want the Cable Companies to have ownership of the Networks. I was not a fan of Time Warner buying CNN either. It just allows the media to be held in a few hands and the access to the media to even fewer. This is a bad thing. I don't see how liberals or conservatives could disagree with this.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,178,043 times
Where I live it's Comcast or AT&T U-verse, unless you want to go with a satellite, which have their own issues.

I am unhappy with all of them. I pay a fortune to AT&T for telephones (home and cell) mostly becaues the rest of my family don't carry cellphones, they carry personal computeres..iphones...and things get $$. I don't want to give them more for my internet and tv, plus they would have to wire up my house fiber optic phone service, when I'm happy with my basic, no frills landline.

Comcast also wants to digitalize my home phone, in order to take advantage of their Triple Play pricing. I don't want that so I end up paying more for less, if that makes sense. I'm soon going to ditch the HD part of my setup though, we always forget to go to the 700's anyway. And once the last child is out of the house I'm seriously considering bumping down to basic cable, with 32 channels, and getting most content I want from Netflix and Hulu. I don't watch much tv. Internet is still an issue though, they keep jacking up the price and who can really live without it now?

Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,083,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Liberals pay for Cable and internet connection. Besides the call for a boycott of Comcast has been going on for a long time, mostly because of customer complaints.

As I said, I hate Comcast but calling for a boycott over Olbermann will not get you anywhere. The customer complaints are more valid.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,334 times
"Originally Posted by hotair2
Apparently it was Keith's decision.

Keith Olbermann's Exit -- Secret Deal | TMZ.com"

Why boycott Comcast if it was Keith's decision?

Old 01-22-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
"Originally Posted by hotair2
Apparently it was Keith's decision.

Keith Olbermann's Exit -- Secret Deal | TMZ.com"

Why boycott Comcast if it was Keith's decision?
His decision "because he saw the writing on the wall" from Comcast execs. Even if Keith was not part of the equation. There are numbeous sites that complain about Comcast's service. We have more media being consolidated into fewer hands, which is a bad thing. If you are liberal you should be concerned about the conservative company like COmcast controlling news content. If you are conservative, you should be concerned about the media being controlled by a few. IF you are a consumer, you should be concerned about the rising cost of your cable and internet bills because of the decrease in competition.

Last edited by hotair2; 01-22-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 12:03 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,920,721 times
if you have a smartphone, root it.

verizon smartphones have a 3g mobile hotspot. if you root the phone, you wont get charged for using the mobile hotspot.

doing that gives you a 3g capable internet connection from your phones signal for free.

i pay 81 a month essentially for phone and internet access because i rooted my phone.

for cable, atdhe.net has all of the shows on the computer. you can use hulu, which i am unfamiliar with, but have heard of.

i think its possible to get phone, tv and internet for under a 100 a month. most people are paying nearly 250-300 for all 3

suckers

Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
if you have a smartphone, root it.

verizon smartphones have a 3g mobile hotspot. if you root the phone, you wont get charged for using the mobile hotspot.

doing that gives you a 3g capable internet connection from your phones signal for free.

i pay 81 a month essentially for phone and internet access because i rooted my phone.

for cable, atdhe.net has all of the shows on the computer. you can use hulu, which i am unfamiliar with, but have heard of.

i think its possible to get phone, tv and internet for under a 100 a month. most people are paying nearly 250-300 for all 3

suckers
I pay $45 a month for high speed internet and I watch shows off of the internet. I was paying $145 for internet and cable. I watch the same shows at the same quality, the only difference is that I watch them when I want to watch them. My Phone is paid for by work so I have not had to worry about that. Buying cable from Comcast is just a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies