Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 PM

277 posts, read 166,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
You know what is even more stupid is the way the left insults any older person forgetting they have children and grandchildren that just may take offense to their constant attacks on the people they love. Do you think it is because few have children since they abort them or are in gay relationships and cannot have any children? Maybe that do not consider that factor when they are in attack mode.
Huh??? This doesn't even make sense. Insulting is insulting, no matter what the age. And from what I've seen on here, you're pretty good at it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
There is only one person that can end the downward spiral of polarizing political partisanship that this country is sliding down. I don't think he has the guts, determination or quite frankly the need to end this fracture.

He is an elitist. He thinks he is better than the people he represents. Democrat or Republican. I didn't even need to mention his name or position.

You mean.... "He who must not be named"???

Old 01-23-2011, 01:37 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Clevelands WTAM dropped him once too, in favor of Jerry Springer!! LOL

Guess what? Springer didn't last long, and they brought back the Glenn Beck show.

As for the story you cite, could it be that because beck is also on WABC, no one was listening on WOR? WABC is huge, also carrying Rush, and Hannity (and I think Mark Levin).

These things have as much to do with the popularity of the station as with anything else.

But, you made the blanket statement in your OP that he was plummeting (or words to that effect), which is certainly not true. His audience is always increasing, and he has added many more stations over the last couple of years. He is the third most listened to talk show, behind only Rush and Hannity. And his TV audience is huge too.

Seems like you shoud do some fact checking before making an arse of yourself with an absurd statement like the one you made.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:54 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Do any of you stop to think, per chance, that ratings have gone down as people CAN NO LONGER AFFORD CABLE in this economy? I used to watch Keith all the time - until I cancelled my cable. Unemployed, those channels were a luxury I could not afford.
Definitely something to be considered, but I doubt that it has a large impact.

In Olbermann's case, it is reported that he was a pain in the rear, in the eyes of management. This was a classic case of firing for cause, and with low ratings in addition, they figured it was time to part company.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Definitely something to be considered, but I doubt that it has a large impact.

In Olbermann's case, it is reported that he was a pain in the rear, in the eyes of management. This was a classic case of firing for cause, and with low ratings in addition, they figured it was time to part company.
True, his viewers fell 20%, Beck's fell 66% and Palin, well, fell off the edge of the flat earth she lives on.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:17 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Keith Olbermann's Departure Means the End of the Wingnuts - The Daily Beast

I thought it was an interesting coincidence that Olbermann's show ended just a few days after Sarah Palin's disastrous response to the shooting in Tucson. Is America really ready for more moderate voices in politics, or is this just a brief intermission?

Only time will tell.

But the crazy spittle-spewing wingnut-speak is now beyond its expiration date and the stench is getting pretty strong. I certainly hope we see a return to rationality. America faces serious issues that have to be addressed by clear-headed adults, not willfully ignorant mouthpieces.

wingnuttery

Old 01-23-2011, 03:29 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What in all creation could assassinations and attempted assassinations possibly have to do with the deliberate and slanderous attacks on Sarah Palin?
You really don't see it?

Reagan was shot. How many more political figures in U.S. history have been either assasinated or there have been attempts? I think that is the most vile and politically motivated attack which can be made......certainly not the backlash Palin received as a result of the AZ shootings.

Your words:

In my nearly fifty years on this planet, I have seen few politically motivated attacks a vile as those unleashed on Sarah Palin following the shooting.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:44 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
You don't "quit" contracts without sever consequences. Key word: CONTRACT. He had a four year CONTRACT with MSNBC. There were two years remaining on the contract.

You really think that Comcast has/had no say in their contract negotiations as far as what MSNBC will do in the future? lol

btw, I know this is a foreign concept to many, however, sometimes refusing to compromise has to do with values and principles, and nothing to do with ego. Sometimes people refuse to do something they are "required" to do if it means betraying their deeply held values and principles.....and they unfortunately have to deal with the negative consequences of being ethical and true to their beliefs. Not about ego.
While we're speculating.....

Sounds to me like O2 had a contract negotiation meeting that went like this:

Take $14 million, shut up, stay off the air.

Take nothing and you'll be exposed for what you are.

I wonder which 'principled compromise' O2 took?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
While we're speculating.....

Sounds to me like O2 had a contract negotiation meeting that went like this:

Take $14 million, shut up, stay off the air.

Take nothing and you'll be exposed for what you are.

I wonder which 'principled compromise' O2 took?
Sorry, that's not the scenario I've been reading on other sites where lawyers, employment lawyers, are talking about this subject.

You know, Olberman is a wealthy man. He had his own lawyers. No company will tell an attorney to tell his/her client to "shut up" and "stay off the air." Those contracts go both ways, protection for the employee and the employer. From what I've been reading, just about how the process works in a situation like this, the concensus of opinion is that Olberman probably got far more than the $14 million remaining on his contract.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:45 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
WABC has been a talkradio powerhouse for decades, and with Imus, Limbaugh, Hannity & Levin, has been a top-billing station in both NYC and nationally; news-talk has been the most-listened to format in the country for 2 1/2 years after overtaking country in the summer of 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies