Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 12:53 AM

504 posts, read 456,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Hey no need for knee-jerk responses. If you and other like-minded individuals want to volunteer to pay for these benefits and pensions, be my guest.

Knee-Jerk and unapologetic about it. With the Bankers, Big business and Wallstreet ruining the economy lets make the common man who works for a living shoulder the burden.

Come on man think about what you are saying.

What is overly generous in your opinion. I mean are these people buying Bentley's and Yachts. The ability to keep a roof over your head, good healtchare, help your kids through college and not to have to eat CAT FOOD. I guess thats excessive huh?

Help me understand your mentality. I believe if a man works an honest 40+ hrs obeys the laws and pays his taxes then he is an asset to the country and we as a country should be looking to better ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
All of the things you mentioned might add up to about 2% of the entire budget, might, but I doubt its even 1%.

How about

"Sorry Mr. Defense contractor, we don't need to fight two wars, maintain bases in countries where the war ended 60 years ago, and maintain a military thats 4 times what everyone else in the world combined does"

That would be a real spending cut.

That is not even close either, I could cut 95% of the budget without even blinking and still have basic goverment services and still cut taxes by 95% at the same time.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:33 AM

504 posts, read 456,934 times
Default Just a peek

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
That is not even close either, I could cut 95% of the budget without even blinking and still have basic goverment services and still cut taxes by 95% at the same time.

Wow really? Could you give me a few ideas of where you would cut. Not your whole plan because I am sure youre going to hold that close so that you can run for office. But could you give me a few examples. Thanx

Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you couldnt afford a full singlepayer system in the usa

our current singlepayer....medicaid...covers about 32 million people...and costs 340 billion a year and increasing

to cover our population....320 million people...it would cost between 2.5-5 trillion A YEAR... on the working tax payer

according to the IRS there are about 105 million taxpaying (1040) households....

at the LOW number of 2.5 trillion divide by the 105 million taxpaying households...is 23k..the high number of 5 trillion is 46k......could you as a working person afford a 23,000 dollar TAX BILL YEARLY....I think not
When did politicians ever let facts get in the way?

Old 01-24-2011, 05:50 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you couldnt afford a full singlepayer system in the usa

our current singlepayer....medicaid...covers about 32 million people...and costs 340 billion a year and increasing

to cover our population....320 million people...it would cost between 2.5-5 trillion A YEAR... on the working tax payer

according to the IRS there are about 105 million taxpaying (1040) households....

at the LOW number of 2.5 trillion divide by the 105 million taxpaying households...is 23k..the high number of 5 trillion is 46k......could you as a working person afford a 23,000 dollar TAX BILL YEARLY....I think not
Actually, the current health care expenses of the USA for 2010 is estimated to fall between 2,3 and 2,6 trillion.

On Medicare, did you know that it covers the over-65s? By far the most expensive patient group. Expanding it to cover the entire population, all of whom are healthier groups, would cost about 1,25-1,5 trillion, about half half of todays expense.

And incidentally, only slightly more then the total fragmented health care expense the US government today.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:15 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A cold-hearted, callous President is what we need if we are to ever get this economy fixed and our national debt eliminated.

One who will say:

- The taxpayers don't care about your pet project, Senator, and neither do I.

- I sympathize with your terminally sick father, but life is not fair. Taxpayers can't afford to keep him alive for the next 12 months just to make you happy.

- I understand that you want to flee your country for a better life in America. But taxpayers cannot afford your burden.

- I understand, Mr. Businiess, that your company is in trouble. But taxpayers are not to fault for your bad business decisions.

- I understand, Cabinet Secretary, that you'd like to give your staff across the board raises. Taxpayers are not concerned, and neither am I.

- I understand, Governor, that your state has degenerated into a Nanny State. I will not sign any legislation that provides you a bailout. Cut government and cut services. That's my advice to you.

Yes, its time to make this nation suffer a bit of hardship to get back to our roots and our principals.

9% Unemployment should not be enough to put a nation on its knees economically. Period. What that means is that our government has failed us by epic proportions.
Will we get out of this ditch? No, I don't think we will. We've devolved into a Welfare Nation, and its irreversible.

But you can be sure that i'll vote for the first cold-hearted, callous Presidential candidate that is willing to give it a try, that's for sure.
I vote for a Trump/Romney ticket.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:24 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
And destroy the economy and the country in the process. Yeah, that'd be real smart.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A cold-hearted, callous President is what we need if we are to ever get this economy fixed and our national debt eliminated.
we already have one. Now we need one that has a clue what he's doing.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I you want someone that is beyond cold callus and uncaring about the financial monopolies that dominate this economy while having some sympathy for the people actually creating the wealth that has be squandered you can simply elect me. I would start with my progressive income tax and finish by controlling the financial and energy empires that have effectively destroyed the middle and working classes by stealing all the wealth they created. My foreign policy would simply be "control your terrorists and insane mullahs or you will regret it." My goal would be an American prosperity similar to the 1950’s not the 1930s’.

Last edited by GregW; 01-24-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 01-24-2011, 07:37 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I don't think we need to be "cold hearted or callous".

We merely need to be realistic.

We cannot continue to spend like there's no tomorrow.

Welfare, personal and corporate, needs to end.

Welfare was created for the old and the sick, not the stupid and lazy.

"Social justice" is not good policy.

Neither is war, unless we are personally under attack.
Welfare was not created for the old and sick - that's social security. Welfare is necessary, but needs to be tightened up so people don't spend their entire lives on it.

It's especially needed now, with so many of us out of work or underemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies