Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
It's kind of hard for me to believe that either of them do these things themselves. I would think they have lawyers doing their paperwork.

If you don't claim income, how hard can it be? Just use Turbo Tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:50 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
If you don't claim income, how hard can it be? Just use Turbo Tax.
Like tim geitner.

It's fool proof!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am sorry, I thought you were being amusing. I was just playing along with the joke.
Nope....sorry...try again...

I'm glad you enjoy talking about Thomas....but not worry about the other...

Showing your true colors...bob...

Old 01-23-2011, 01:57 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,357 times
he should be removed from the bench ASAP!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:19 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
He would have to be impeached.
As the article said its not a criminal matter

Old 01-23-2011, 02:20 PM

168 posts, read 483,030 times

This hidden salary thing is small potatoes. In America, the old adage "There's Justice and there's Just Us" has come to the forefront of our nation. You are either CONNECTED or you are a revenue producing insect aka the masses or the commoners.

To buttress my point, why on earth would anyone pay Thomas' wife almost $700 thousand a year? Other than likely being a great interoffice cheerleader for conservative values, she isn't exactly the architect of anything on a scale grand enough to justify that kind of salary.

Both Republicans and Democrats are guilty of this. Michelle Obama's salary went through the roof the moment her husband became a US senator. No real reason, it's just that suddenly everyone likes you if you are well connected.

The two points of consideration I walk away from this thread are:

1. Salary is not always based on competence or superior skills of creativity. It seems even luddites and rubes can score big. Higher incomes are not based on value but rather more like being in the right place at the right time; AND,

2. Nothing will happen to Thomas or his wife for the same reason nothing will happen to many Democrats. Bootlickers rooting for both parties will demand that justice be meted out against their perceived opponents but it rarely happens.

The imbeciles in charge of this nation can pretty much do whatever they want. Accountability to the taxpayer fizzled decades ago. Washington DC is where the bulk of trillions get spent in this country. It's the place to be. No one gets fired because you don't have to fire them.

The political will of the citizens and voters in America has been effectively diluted to complete impotence thanks largely to a perfect divided electorate. And both parties are working behind the scenes together for the same outcome.

Unfortunately, what was once known as America has been played by their own servants who have now become their masters. If you're not an insider, then you are owned.

Last edited by mastercone; 01-23-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 02:21 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
he should be removed from the bench ASAP!
i tis not a criminal matter what are you going to impeach him for

Old 01-23-2011, 04:31 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Are you against the Thomases because of race or because of politics?
I call 'em as I seem 'em.

Let's deal with the issue.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Lawyer, get lawyeristic on thyself! I thought there was enough ink spilled on Ginny Thomas and her political activity until this tidbit arose:

"WASHINGTON - Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas failed for at least five years to report on his financial disclosures his wife's income from a conservative policy group, according to the watchdog group Common Cause.

Between 2003 and 2007, Virginia Thomas, a longtime conservative activist, was paid $686,589 by the Heritage Foundation, according to a Common Cause review of Internal Revenue Service records. Thomas failed to note the income for those years, choosing instead to check a box titled "none" where "spousal non-investment income" should have been disclosed...

Steven Lubet, an expert on judicial ethics at Northwestern University School of Law, said the failure to disclose spousal income "is not a crime of any sort, but there is a potential civil penalty."

U.S. Justice Thomas didn't disclose wife's pay for years | Columbus Dispatch Politics (http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2011/01/23/copy/u-s--justice-thomas-didnt-disclose-wifes-pay-for-years.html?adsec=politics&sid=101 - broken link)

Now, for historical comparison, Jerry Ford as house minority leader, tried to get Biil Douglas on the court impeached for writing an article in a racy magazine (and marrying his young secretary!).

At the very least, Thomas needs to straighten up his act.

LOL!!!!

They will see something and run with it before knowing all the facts, or they hide the facts they know blows the story....

He and his wife file separately, so there is no confusion in the return on what is his and what is hers.
You don't put your spouse on your form, if your filing separately and you surely don't check a box labeled spousal anything.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:46 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Lawyer, get lawyeristic on thyself! I thought there was enough ink spilled on Ginny Thomas and her political activity until this tidbit arose:

"WASHINGTON - Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas failed for at least five years to report on his financial disclosures his wife's income from a conservative policy group, according to the watchdog group Common Cause.

Between 2003 and 2007, Virginia Thomas, a longtime conservative activist, was paid $686,589 by the Heritage Foundation, according to a Common Cause review of Internal Revenue Service records. Thomas failed to note the income for those years, choosing instead to check a box titled "none" where "spousal non-investment income" should have been disclosed...

Steven Lubet, an expert on judicial ethics at Northwestern University School of Law, said the failure to disclose spousal income "is not a crime of any sort, but there is a potential civil penalty."

U.S. Justice Thomas didn't disclose wife's pay for years | Columbus Dispatch Politics (http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2011/01/23/copy/u-s--justice-thomas-didnt-disclose-wifes-pay-for-years.html?adsec=politics&sid=101 - broken link)

Now, for historical comparison, Jerry Ford as house minority leader, tried to get Biil Douglas on the court impeached for writing an article in a racy magazine (and marrying his young secretary!).

At the very least, Thomas needs to straighten up his act.
Now for historical comparison Richard Gerhard D, House Majority Leader, failed to declare his ownership in an oceanfront 3 level house in the Outebranks, NC. Actions against him, 0.

Tom Daschle D, former Leader of the Senate, withdraws cabinet nomination amid st tax scandal. Actions against him, 0

Tim Geitner, tax cheat, Actions against him, 0

Then there is always good ole' Charlie Rangel and Maxine Waters.

If you are going to do some history comparisons, at least try to be bi-partisan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies