Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:08 PM

467 posts, read 325,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
oh geesh, you seriously bought one of those terrapass (broken link) things and thought you were doing something positive for the environment?

I'm sure the guy that's getting his pockets stuffed by unbelievably gullible people all over the world appreciates it..
I'm telling you, South Park couldn't even come up with some of this stuff....
Bush has 5 wives and 16 children.

Do you believe that? Just because I say it doesn't make it so.

Show me where there's a "guy" sitting back and stuffing his pockets from my donations... Otherwise, find a different/smarter way to argue your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 03:13 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
it's ok, I'm actually going to thank you.. I've been wanting this new Harley that just came out, but it's $20K.. so I'm going to start something that takes advantage of totally gullible people and now I know exactly who to target. Who knows, I might be voluntarily unemployed in a few months and laughing myself to sleep every night.

thank you very much

Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
We should remember just who celebrities are. Mostly entertainers or media hypes that generate money and influence with their persona.
They, like us, are given Rights and Priviledges by our Government and Constitution. Some of them carry agendas that are contrary to the thought and intention of the inspired people who formed our govenment in 1776. Many of them, as they hype their agendas intentionally cause chaos and distrust.
I have seen this dismal mantra directed toward America for almost my entire lifetime, and I feel that almost any chance for individual happiness is thwarted. It seems that every real ideal that gives happiness is questioned or put into a second place by these media hypes. They seem to be hurrying in all directions at once and have no direction at all.
Almost all of them have very little education. This may be the subconscious force that propels them to say and do things that are unbearable...I cite the episodes of L. Lohan and B. Spears. Did any of that show a decimal of normalcy?
Did it generate money? ..... You Bet!
I think a wise populace could make informed desicisions...and that's exactly where the root of this problems lies...with what some other media types call the dumbing of America. If we decide to become more learned...we will be able to think for ourselves and not need to pattern ourselves after losers who are trying to find a pathway through their blindness as they lead the blind.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:54 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,340 times
terrapass? it has got to be a joke...right?..please say yes!!
I think hollywood can say anything they want as far as their opinions go..but not if I paid money to hear you sing etc.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:59 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
They have just as much right to publicize their opinions as people and journalists have a right to disagree with them and make their opinions known.

I for one would be pissed if I went to a concert and it was politicized by an entertainer. A one liner joke is fine, but if I want biased opinions I'll just turn on the news. Spare me the crap and entertain as you are paid to do.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:25 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
If the celebrity has brains, intelligence and is well informed, poised and able to formulate proper intelligent debate then why not ? Otherwise I just want them to shut up and go back to their vapid , self centred lifestyle and not interfere in serious matters such as politics and current affairs . It scares me that people like Paris Hilton ( whom I had never heard of until a couple of weeks ago) could if she wanted have a large following of equally moronic fans listening to every word she said. It really depends on the celebrity.
When somebody like Britney Spears who can barely string a sentence together and has obviously never had an original thought in her head starts discussing politics it really, really worries me. Then again I can think of a few politicians with the same problems...

Old 07-18-2007, 05:13 PM

30 posts, read 111,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
If the celebrity has brains, intelligence and is well informed, poised and able to formulate proper intelligent debate then why not ?
The problem with the above is in whose opinion? If they lean the way you do you'll think they are geniuses but if they lean the other way you'll think they are morons. I wish they would all "shut up and sing" because it ruins their music, movies, art etc if they spout a bunch of rubbish and insult things I believe in. They have a right to an opinion but do they have a right to have an international platform for their opinion? It's just a shame when it is someone who's work I admire but they offend me so badly I can't watch or listen to them any more.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:28 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
They can say whatever they want but do I listen? nope, looks who speaks out, it's a bunch of has been idiots looking for that 1 minute they can feel good agian. Some people look up to celebs and believe what they say, I just don't care what any of them say.
If I go some where to be entertained and I have to listen to their veiws on politics I'm going to leave because thats not why I was there and they are wrong to push their view on a captive audeance who is there to be entertained.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:44 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
I assume you feel free to give your opinion and let people know how you feel. If a reporter came up to you and asked for your opinion - would you give it? If not, that is your right to keep things private, but if you do - that is also your right.

A terrapass is something that makes me feel good and helps me sleep at night. I know that if I have to travel by airplane I can donate money to organizations that are working to find energy alternatives. Exactly how is that a bad thing? Seriously. Give ME a break. Why does it bother you that there are people willing to give money in order to make the world a better place? That just seems irrational.
You keep missing the point. You are attempting (as usual) to spin things. With this “If a reporter came up to you and asked for your opinion” as if these celebs are just answering a question. The problem is no one is asking they are just spouting off.

As for the “terrapass”, I think the fact that you actually contribute to this made up feel good, whatever, verifies that you are as far left as anyone has ever ventured. Now that’s not in any way a bad thing. Its just not for me.

I also think it is extremely arrogant to think that mankind is in any way responsible for climate change. If mankind was responsible for climate then what were they doing to create the first “ice age”, the dust bowl in the 1930’s(bad example that was man made), or any other climate change?

Last if you really thought that the plane flight was harm full then you shouldn’t have taken the flight, or did you justify it by the “terrapass”?

Last edited by RedNC; 07-18-2007 at 06:11 PM..

Old 07-19-2007, 12:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linders_m View Post
The problem with the above is in whose opinion? If they lean the way you do you'll think they are geniuses but if they lean the other way you'll think they are morons. I wish they would all "shut up and sing" because it ruins their music, movies, art etc if they spout a bunch of rubbish and insult things I believe in. They have a right to an opinion but do they have a right to have an international platform for their opinion? It's just a shame when it is someone who's work I admire but they offend me so badly I can't watch or listen to them any more.
Could anyone genuinely believe Britney Spears has brains and political acumen? She could be spouting everything I believe in and I would still not want her to speak out. It would be such an embarrassment to have a moron representing your ideas. I do agree that it is very subjective and on the whole I would prefer if they didn't use their fame as a political platform but I have found some celebrities have made a difference by highlighting issues to people who are too silly to think for themselves. ( Bob Geldof, Bono and Sting for example despite all their shortcomings have done just this and no I am not blind to their faults). There is a long standing tradition of famous people taking up social issues and if it works and encourages people to do something rather than sit on their butt whilst "Rome burns" so to speak then I have no problem with that. If a celebrity can raise the profile of a good cause why not.

And as for Toninole's "Terrapass", it might not be be an ideal solution but at least it's better than doing nothing. I am not quite sure why she is criticised and derided because she is trying to do something positive ? Carbon off-setting is not the long term solution to our planet's ills but it does help a little bit and I am not quite sure how that makes her gullible . It does no harm and at least she recognizes there is an environmental problem rather than burying her head in the sand and making snide comments. Give her a break. Good for her.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 07-19-2007 at 01:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies