Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be responsible for costs associated with choosing not to vaccinate their children?
Yes, the parents should be charged significantly higher insurance premiums if they refuse to vaccinate. 27 31.03%
Yes, the parents should have to reimburse the government, families and insurers if they refuse to vaccinate. 0 0%
Yes, the parents should be responsible for both higher insurance premiums *and* reimbursement of actual costs, should they be incurred. 15 17.24%
No, parents should have the right to choose not to vaccinate their children, and no penalties should be applied. 45 51.72%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
And when you were a kid babies were dying of hib and hepatitis b and chicken pox. Babies need these vaccines. Without them we'd have a far higher rate of serious illness in young children.

This is not a liberal vs. conservative issue. Plenty of stupid liberals like Robert Kennedy Jr. advocate anti-vacccine nonsense. Plenty of dumb conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly are too moronic to understand the need for vaccines.

This is a public health issue. It needs to remain spoken of in those terms and those terms only.
We got the Hepatitis ones and will get the other major ones.

It is a half-ass public health issue because there is no effort by the USA to wall up the borders of Mexico and Canada.
We are slammed by drugs coming through and lots of people carrying diseases that should have NEVER been allowed into our nation.
Used to have to be cleared at Ellis Island before coming in, now you sneak through with TB, Aids and other diseases and you get sainthood in our government. Stupidity to the max.
Until we deal with that you can't talk your supposed "public health issue" with a straight face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post

This is F'ing HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! The Progs here want to charge you WAY more of a HC premium because you refuse to immunize your children, but they HAVE NO hangups whatsoever letting an HIV/AIDS infected person cut your hair using sharp instruments where they cut themselves regularly. If this doesn't say all you need to know about the Progressives/Marxists/Commuinists, I don't know what will.
Progs. Lovely.

This is a public poll. That means if you click on any of the blue numbers next to the possible responses, you can see a list of every poster who answered and what their answers were. Try not to have a conniption fit when you realize that both conservatives and liberals alike seem to be bunched together in every single category of responses.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Should parents who refuse to vaccinate their children pay significantly higher insurance premiums?

What then, have everyone else pay for the idiotic choices of stupid people? I don't think so. If anyone here doesn't know/understand the importance of preventative medicine like vaccinations by the time they have offspring then they need to be weeded out anyway.
No!
They should be held accountable for their decision via watching their kid suffer. After a few deaths, crippled or vegetative kids others will see the importance of vaccinations and will make better choices because of their neighbors’ bad one.

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
When I was a kid there was about 8 shots and one sugar cube. Today the drug manufacturers (big pharmaceutical - as libs love to call everything) must have 70 different vaccinations being put into babies with nearly no immune system.
We reside in the Hills of Beverly and I have found most here and in the Communist enclave of Santa Monica for the most part don't vaccinate except for maybe the major ones like TB.
You file a paper and you can put your child in school without all the BS.
Seems to me the more educated areas of Beverly Hills and Santa Monica don't immerse their children in the pharmaceutical cocktails.

Now if you go to the barrios of SE Los Angeles, they are vaccinating down there 7 or more shots at a pop. State taxpayer pays of course.
Apart from the fact that your post is highly offensive, it is filled with inacuracies. Nice to know people making life-saving decisions about their children are so well-informed!

The TB vaccine is not routinely used in the US.

Children are exposed to hundreds of bacterial microorganisms every day, stimulating the childs immune system to develop hundreds of thousands of antibodies by the time the child turns 18. The standard childhood vaccine schedule provokes a total of about 150 antibodies. Today's vaccines are far more efficient, and contain far fewer antigens:

For example, before 1991, the whooping cough (pertussis) vaccine had 3,000 different antigens. Today's whooping cough shot has no more than five particles—just as effective, but much better designed to be easy on your immune system.

Addressing Parents' Concerns: Do Multiple Vaccines Overwhelm or Weaken the Infant's Immune System? -- Offit et al. 109 (1): 124 -- Pediatrics

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Progs. Lovely.

This is a public poll. That means if you click on any of the blue, underlined numbers next to the possible repsonses, you can see a list of every poster who answered and what their answers were. Try not to have a conniption fit when you realize that both conservatives and liberals alike seem to be bunched together in every single category of responses.
I don't care who voted on this particular poll. I just remember the thread last week with many of the same posters here saying that someone with HIV/AIDS is OK to work on you using sharp objects where the risk for cutting yourself is extremely high. Now the same posters want to chime in on how THIS is irresponsible and a public danger? You really can't be serious.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
We got the Hepatitis ones and will get the other major ones.

It is a half-ass public health issue because there is no effort by the USA to wall up the borders of Mexico and Canada.
We are slammed by drugs coming through and lots of people carrying diseases that should have NEVER been allowed into our nation.
Used to have to be cleared at Ellis Island before coming in, now you sneak through with TB, Aids and other diseases and you get sainthood in our government. Stupidity to the max.
Until we deal with that you can't talk your supposed "public health issue" with a straight face.
I have a straight face. Most immigrants from Mexico are well immunized. Also, this thread is not about TB, HIV, or AIDS.

Quote:
I don't care who voted on this particular poll. I just remember the thread last week with many of the same posters here saying that someone with HIV/AIDS is OK to work on you using sharp objects where the risk for cutting yourself is extremely high. Now the same posters want to chime in on how THIS is irresponsible and a public danger? You really can't be serious.
This thread is not about HIV/AIDS.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:05 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:

I don't care who voted on this particular poll.
So facts are irrelevant to you?
Quote:

I just remember the thread last week with many of the same posters here saying that someone with HIV/AIDS is OK to work on you using sharp objects where the risk for cutting yourself is extremely high.
These are two separate issues. Try to stay on topic please.
Quote:

Now the same posters want to chime in on how THIS is irresponsible and a public danger? You really can't be serious.
How do you know it's the same posters? uggabugga is among those who believe both a higher premium and public restitution be required for parents who refuse to immunize their children. I think he or she would probably take offense at being called a prog, communist Marxist. But that's just a guess. Perhaps if you cared about facts you wouldn't be so quick to name-call.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Suggestion -- segregate those who will not vaccinate. IMO and in the statistics from large national spelling and geography bees, home schooled children simply score higher.

I am not well-educated, by societally accepted standards. I did well in some subjects in public school, poorly in others, and everything in between. I'm a high school dropout with a GED and vocational/technical school certificates. That said, I did very well in the career paths I chose because I was highly motivated when given the choice of what to study. I never lacked for employment in the medical and legal support fields.

When given extensive intelligence/aptitude testing for purposes of vocational rehab, after becoming disabled with a chronic illness, I did poorly in some areas but was told by every tester, overall, that I was extremely intelligent. One tester said I had the highest test results of anyone he'd ever tested in intuitive logic. In my experience, my public school education rarely addressed that area of my learning ability, and hence really didn't do me a lot of good. Left to my own learning choices, I did very well, and the only people who have ever called me stupid are people in this forum, when I disagree with their opinions. Go figure.

Throughout the periods of my life when I was getting regular vaccinations, I still got regular viral illnesses. I'm sure I got MMR vaccinations as a child, but I also got measles and mumps. When I stopped getting vaccinated, I got fewer viral illnesses, and stopped getting severely ill whenever I got the regular viral illnesses (colds, flu). No vaccines = no big whopping chunks of time in bed with all the usual symptoms, so why bother?

Regarding the idea that your child is going to get sick from unvaccinated children, truth is you can never tell precisely who infected your child because virally infected individuals can shed viruses which are infectious to others, whether they are symptomatic or not. When you can pinpoint precisely which child infected your child, then come and talk to me about whether or not it was an unvaccinated child who infected yours, and thus whether or not that child's parents should be liable for your child's illness.

For me, regular vaccination for yearly flu viruses is unnecessary, and so is public school. If you choose not to vaccinate, then keep 'em home and school 'em right! There's so much b***hing about unemployment on this forum, so I have to assume that there are a lot of formerly dual-income families who now have one parent at home. Take advantage of it!

Ironically, my first job in a physician's office, I was the one who got the honor of giving my employer his flu shot, and he got a whopper flu that year! And continued to work and, I must assume, infected plenty of his patients!

Simply my experience.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
This notion that VPD is brought into the country by illegal aliens is false. The big measles outbreak in California was caused by an unimmunized child who was infected while vacationing in Switzerland. The recent measles outbreak in Vancouver was caused by 2 different measles strains brought to Canada during the olympics.

Measles Resurgence Tied To Parents' Vaccine Fears : NPR

Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
As unvacinatted childern are likelier to incur higher medical costs their parents should pay higher insurance fees just as they pay higher car insurance fees for inexperienced drivers. Higher the risk the higher the fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies