Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be responsible for costs associated with choosing not to vaccinate their children?
Yes, the parents should be charged significantly higher insurance premiums if they refuse to vaccinate. 27 31.03%
Yes, the parents should have to reimburse the government, families and insurers if they refuse to vaccinate. 0 0%
Yes, the parents should be responsible for both higher insurance premiums *and* reimbursement of actual costs, should they be incurred. 15 17.24%
No, parents should have the right to choose not to vaccinate their children, and no penalties should be applied. 45 51.72%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'm not going to get into specifics about individual that I don't know and their educational level, I just know that a medical doctor goes through a lot more training than any nurse does and that is 100% fact. This thread became a pissing contest and I expected that because people in the medical industry (from techs to nurses to doctors to surgeons) are all generally head strong people, there's nothing wrong with that at all but sometimes it gets to be a bit much.
Agree! And I'm even one of those medical/techy types! LMAO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I'm guessing -- merely guessing, mind you -- that Katiana's training, background and employment trump stayinformed40's, who is neither a nurse herself, nor a pediatrician or immunologist. Katiana has insinuated nothing of the sort.

Katiana works in a pediatric medical office that does immunizations.

You have friends who you claim have told you things that counter Katiana's first-hand experience.

You are not personally more qualified in this field than Katiana. "My pediatrician friends say so" is not a cite, it's hearsay. And the reader has no way to validate whether you actually know pediatricians, whether those pediatricians said what you claim they said, or if you merely misunderstood or misremembered what they said.

If you'd like to support your claim that the nasal version of childhood vaccines cause seizures, "my friend said so" won't cut it. You have to come to the debate with reputable cites that back up your claims.

Katiana has provided links that back up her assertions and first-hand experience. What have you brought?
I do not need to bring or prove anything to you. I am voicing my beliefs in a nice manner, as you continue to voice yours in a rude one.

This is all i am going to say to you.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:14 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
I'm going to see if I can break this down into the simplest common denominator:

Katiana has provided reputable cites that support her assertions.

You and stayinformed40 have brought hearsay and "doctors are more trained than nurses" as an argument to try to refute her.

Bring CITES.

Thank you.
Let me see if I can bring this down to a level you'll pay attention to since you clearly haven't read anything I've posted in this thread, I personally never said that parents should or should not vaccinate their children. I have an 8 month old who has been vaccinated, I had no problems with it because I trust our DOCTOR and her opinions on the vaccination debate. There's plenty of info out there on both sides of this coin and I think parents should have the right to make a decision based on facts and the opinions of their doctor. That being said, my original post had nothing to do with vaccines and everything to do with the issue of money and insurance premiums. Until EVERYONE who chooses to have a child pays insurance premiums for that child then nobody should be asked or forced to pay higher than anyone else. There are millions of children in this country who aren't taken care of by their parents and we the tax payers end up funding that. A parent who chooses not to vaccinate their child based on research is at least trying to do the right thing with the child's best interest in mind and that should be respected.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
I'm not going to get into specifics about individual that I don't know and their educational level, I just know that a medical doctor goes through a lot more training than any nurse does and that is 100% fact. This thread became a pissing contest and I expected that because people in the medical industry (from techs to nurses to doctors to surgeons) are all generally head strong people, there's nothing wrong with that at all but sometimes it gets to be a bit much.
You are completely incorrect. A physician who does not specialize does not receive more education than a specialized nurse. It just isn't so. Sorry. If you would like me to detail my education, I'd be more than happy to.

Sorry, we are way off topic.

The fact is people still make decisions about their children's health without educating themselves. If the increased/decreased insurance rates are the catalyst needed to spur people to inform themselves, I'm all for it.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:
. . . Refusing to vaccinate a child is dangerous not just for that child but for entire communities.

Make anti-vaccine parents pay higher premiums - CNN.com

One such example from the article, tells about a child whose parents refused to vaccinate him in 2008, then took him to Europe where he contracted the measles. When they got back to the U.S., 839 people were exposed, causing 49 children who were too young to have been vaccinated to have to be both vaccinated and quarantined, one of whom had to be hospitalized.

The article goes on to put figures to this situation:

"[The] average family cost [was] $775 per child. The total cost of the outbreak was $124,517, about $11,000 per case and substantially more for the hospitalized child. That was just in the money the county and state spent to clean the mess up, and doesn't take into the account the costs to private insurers."

So, should parents who refuse to vaccinate their children be considered a potential health danger to the public, and be forced to either pay significantly higher premiums to cover their childrens' health care; be forced to refund the government, families and insurers their costs when their unvaccinated child causes a public outbreak or quarantine; or should it be a protected right for parents not to vaccinate their children, with no consequences should others suffer medically because of their (in)actions?

Which vaccines are we talking about?

I don't believe in the new flu vaccines. They haven't been out long enough to know if they are safe and I would like my kids to build up their own immunities. They have all their measles, mumps, etc. My daughter has the chicken pox one, but my son already got chicken pox when he was around 5.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You are completely incorrect. A physician who does not specialize does not receive more education than a specialized nurse. It just isn't so. Sorry. If you would like me to detail my education, I'd be more than happy to.

Sorry, we are way off topic.

The fact is people still make decisions about their children's health without educating themselves. If the increased/decreased insurance rates are the catalyst needed to spur people to inform themselves, I'm all for it.
Where did you do your residency? How many years were you in medical school?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Where did you do your residency? How many years were you in medical school?
[quote=Backspace;17572870] I have a 4 year basic nursing degree, a 2 year midwifery program, a one year midwifery practical, a 2 year pediatric nurse practitioner program, a one year practical nurse practitioner program, a one year pediatric ICU program, a one year pediatric ICU practical program, and a 6 month pediatric medical transport program, add to that countless CE hours. All of my basic pediatric education occurred in the largest pediatric hospital in Africa. I know more about pediatric infectious diseases and immunizations than any local resident will ever know. University of Cape Town, Tulane, RCWM Children's Hospital, Great Ormond Street.

12.5 years formal education.

How about you?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I have a 4 year basic nursing degree, a 2 year midwifery program, a one year midwifery practical, a 2 year pediatric nurse practitioner program, a one year practical nurse practitioner program, a one year pediatric ICU program, a one year pediatric ICU practical program, and a 6 month pediatric medical transport program, add to that countless CE hours. All of my basic pediatric education occurred in the largest pediatric hospital in Africa. I know more about pediatric infectious diseases and immunizations than any local resident will ever know. University of Cape Town, Tulane, RCWM Children's Hospital, Great Ormond Street.

12.5 years formal education.

How about you?
I guess you missed my question, How many years did you attend medical school and where did you do your residency work?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I guess you missed my question, How many years did you attend medical school and where did you do your residency work?
No I was ignoring your snark. Careful, your prejudices are showing.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I know more about pediatric infectious diseases and immunizations than any local resident will ever know.
Quote:
No I was ignoring your snark. Careful, your prejudices are showing.
When it comes to the medical industry I'm very prejudice, I work hand in hand with nurses every day that I have tons of respect for and would trust with my life BUT they aren't doctors and neither are you. You shouldn't be offended by that statement, that's a simple fact. You have a 4 year nursing degree along with many different specialty programs, that's to be respected and admired but at no point should that be compared to 12 years in medical school. If given the choice between a nurse or a doctor, who would the parent of a sick child choose for emergency treatment? If given the choice how many people would choose to talk to the nurse on call instead of talking to their general practitioner? How many people travel to other countries to seek the care of a world renown nurse?

I think you know the answer to all of those questions.

I have a Masters degree in electrical engineering (7 years) with a BS in biomedical science with 14 years of experience. I'm very good at what I do but I know I'm nowhere near the top of the food chain when it comes to education or knowledge in the field of electrical engineering, that doesn't offend me in the least bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies