Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
Yes. It's nothing pretty for Detroit. I think that it has already become an epidemic across the nation it's just slowly brewing. People are angry and you are right, they are desperate and at their wits end.

I think Michigan has the highest unemployment rate in the nation due to the massive loss of production jobs which kept their economy going since the old days. I sure do hope that they get some economic relief soon and the same for all other suffering states.
Actually Michigan has the second highest unemployment rate in the country. Neveda is first. But you are absolutely right about the loss of manufacturing and production jobs has devasted the economy of the state. There hasn't been anything in terms of economic investment that has replaced those lost jobs. The auto industry is starting to pick up again and there are other things in the state that may point toward more economic development. Michigian just elected a Republican businessman, Rick Snyder with the mandate to devise a strategy to move the state forward economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Probably because:

More criminals are shot by private citizens in defense then police, they are also 5 times less likely to shoot the wrong person. -Newsweek

1.5 Million times a year a gun is used in self defense. -Clinton DOJ

0.0004% or so chance of a gun causing you harm. -FBI data

Gun Control has no effect on crime stats. -CDC

Bans in Australia and England led to 40% increase in violent crime, including increasing crimes involving pistols. -Raw Data.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
And two more in St. Petersburg, FL Two St. Petersburg, Florida Officers Shot, Killed; Suspect Dead - Crimesider - CBS News

Old 01-24-2011, 09:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Police ARE armed correct?

Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Police ARE armed correct?
Yes, because they deal with criminals. Criminals never attack regular people.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,254,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Actually Michigan has the second highest unemployment rate in the country. Neveda is first. But you are absolutely right about the loss of manufacturing and production jobs has devasted the economy of the state. There hasn't been anything in terms of economic investment that has replaced those lost jobs. The auto industry is starting to pick up again and there are other things in the state that may point toward more economic development. Michigian just elected a Republican businessman, Rick Snyder with the mandate to devise a strategy to move the state forward economically.
Wow, I am really out of touch with Michigan news these days. I had no idea that Gov. Granholm was gone. Oh well, I think the nation is making a slow but noticeable recovery. I heard on the news that the job market was going to make a huge surge this year, supposedly it already has yet the crime rate is still climbing as well.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Reading the responses, I am impressed by how many came back with the same old rhetoric, and how many construed my question about tightened gun controls. Never did I propose taking guns away from responsible, law-abiding citizens.

For all those that think our controls are sufficient, I offer this article in rebuttal:
Tucson shooting: Undercover agents expose loophole in US gun laws | World news | The Guardian

Old 01-31-2011, 11:56 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Reading the responses, I am impressed by how many came back with the same old rhetoric, and how many construed my question about tightened gun controls. Never did I propose taking guns away from responsible, law-abiding citizens.

For all those that think our controls are sufficient, I offer this article in rebuttal:
Tucson shooting: Undercover agents expose loophole in US gun laws | World news | The Guardian
PRIVATE SALE.....has NOTHING to do with how Loughner bought his pistol.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
PRIVATE SALE.....has NOTHING to do with how Loughner bought his pistol.
according to arizona law, the private seller of those guns to the undercover officers can be arrested and charged with supplying guns to those who are not allowed to have them, and that carries a ten year prison sentence in arizona. what those undercover officers should have done is record the conversation, and turn the seller in to local authorities for criminal prosecution.

as for the rest of the article, it amuses me that the writer somehow thinks the glock 19 is a high powered weapon. more idiocy from the antigun crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies