Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

I hope there is a break for 1,000 rnds.. Ouch..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I hope there is a break for 1,000 rnds.. Ouch..
Yeah, that was a 2008 ad. They took full advantage and then some of the panic buying at the time.

To their credit they did have some of the harder to find calibers in stock while few other vendors did. Then again at those prices it's little surprise they hadn't sold out.

There are too many reputable vendors that didn't price gouge for me to ever consider sending another dime to CTD.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 PM

I recall a lot of guys fairly miffed with CTD for the gouging. I'll talk about my guns openly, but i won't discuss rounds counts. I won't need to buy any for a little longer anyway.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM

37,185 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
With all due respect you have no idea about Flintlocks. I have no idea if you mean we should live with that tech in every possible way, but if you do, how long would you survive wear a woolen weskit, linen breeches, mowing hay in SC in summer, assuming you are not currently rich and so would not be living at that time either?

Lee Emery on Lock n' Load is an ammature compared to me concerning flintlocks, and so is anyone else I have seen on the TV. Some old guy wearing white cotton gloves flinching like a demon due to the flash in the pan that can't hit a dog house size target at 25 yards does not do justice to a flintlock rifle.

In the same senario with a smoothbore musket these same people with barely enough understanding to fire a musket, still miss, and make outrageous claims to the ammount of time a 'well trained soldier' can load and fire.

They miss the point that commands are used for tactics, and therer is several ways to use musket fire tactics, and any well trained man with a musket can load and fire twice that fast.

Not only that but that well trained man would never think to not fire a charge called Buck n' Ball.

What Buck n' Ball is in a Musket like the Brown Bess is 1 round ball about 0.735, which is real close to 3/4 inch, then 9 more round ball of 0.36, and a final .735 ball on top of that, and that load will tear up a line of soldiers or a line of people standing in a bank to smithereens, and a well trained man can be locked and loaded in less than 15 seconds.

Once the Russians test a like musket in about 60 cal on Eskimos, most of kicks. The Russians lined up as many eskimos as they could find and shot 1 shot and killed the first 8 or so with one shot.

Big heavy gobs of slow moving lead have been proven to be far more lethal than these puny little pea shooters ever were.

Tactics are the reason this type of ammo is no longer used. There are problems with water and powder, there is the weight, but oddly on WW-2 vintage Battle Ships still used silk bags of the same black powder drove 1 ton projectiles some 24 miles down range.

Yeah the all the cops and all the Military all go back to BP guns i sure won't mind doing that. When that happens you just let me know. Till that time i will mix and match which types I shoot with as i please.

Oh, this one I built. I suppose no one really belives me, and this is no kit. I made it all. The brass barrel was solid round stock, the wood was from a plank 16 feet long. It is 62 cal. It has no sites but doesn't need any for it's intended use. It sits on my jewelery box, a very old jewelery box, about 8 feet from where i sit.

I also have a musket that shares the same .600 round ball the pistol shoots and it can be used with Buck n' Ball. The reason I use these 2 flintlocks most, is the 600 ball weighs less than the .735 does and so I can carry more. In the day typically a well trained soldier would carry 60 rounds. With a little practice i can load load and fire 50 rnds in less than 10 minutes. With Buck n ball I would be able to absolutley pulverize most anything as a target. Once on a burned out station wagon car i shot the tail gate, and the ball smashed the clyinder head, passing thru many layers of steel to get there.
I have shot black powder guns for fifteen years, and if they are well made and rifles are quite capable of three or four inch groups at 100 yards with open sights. I currently shoot primarily a Thompson with a Green mountain target barrel that is a superb arm. I have won a number of contests at the range with hand cast .495 balls propelled by 90 grains Triple 7. It is not as impervious to water and wet conditions as is modern ammunition, but in average clear weather is equal to anything I can do with a .30-30 on a deer stand.

i have flintlocks as a hedge against whatever else may happen. I can mold my own balls and make very acceptable black powder from scratch.

.735, IIRC, is about the bore of a 12 gauge shotfun, and .36 is the diameter of 00 buckshot. Quite an arm, but for my taste unnecessarily large.

The problem is not particularly the time required for loading, but the fact that black powder arms require frequent cleaning under any conditions including in the field, and there are steps to loading that have to be followed or problems result. After the battle at Gettysburg, there were rifles found that had been loaded with as many as seven patches and balls by soldiers who had paniced in the heat of battle and kept loading but forgot to ever fire the rifle after the frst charge was in place.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have shot black powder guns for fifteen years, and if they are well made and rifles are quite capable of three or four inch groups at 100 yards with open sights. I currently shoot primarily a Thompson with a Green mountain target barrel that is a superb arm. I have won a number of contests at the range with hand cast .495 balls propelled by 90 grains Triple 7. It is not as impervious to water and wet conditions as is modern ammunition, but in average clear weather is equal to anything I can do with a .30-30 on a deer stand.

i have flintlocks as a hedge against whatever else may happen. I can mold my own balls and make very acceptable black powder from scratch.

.735, IIRC, is about the bore of a 12 gauge shotfun, and .36 is the diameter of 00 buckshot. Quite an arm, but for my taste unnecessarily large.

The problem is not particularly the time required for loading, but the fact that black powder arms require frequent cleaning under any conditions including in the field, and there are steps to loading that have to be followed or problems result. After the battle at Gettysburg, there were rifles found that had been loaded with as many as seven patches and balls by soldiers who had paniced in the heat of battle and kept loading but forgot to ever fire the rifle after the frst charge was in place.
It was you that said which guns should be legal or advertized. The Brown Bess is considered to be 75 cal. I prefer .62 cal over all myself and that is what the pistol is, as is my Nor' West Gun and a jager soon I hope.

I also have a 40 cal rifle all flinters. I do have a yet to be fire TC Center Hawken, but will likely trade it off before it ever gets fired and it has never been fired once. Brand new gun I got 0 use of.

Green Mt is just up the road maybe 14 miles.

I got another 15 years over you, and I am sure I don't know it all. I prefer flinters for many reasons over most any gun, but I also own many other guns.
The fact you have these 15 years and proved beyond the shadow of any doubt to me you know cap locks fairly well, just confuses the Hell out me as to the rest of your lodgic.

I do have cap locks, but they are all six shooters. My Ruger Old Army is Pre Bible None of that warning crap stamped in steel

I am certain the forefathers meant what hand held firearms became current. They were not stupid men and knew progress would be constant. They knew fire arms would change and i am sure they wished for repeaters.

They did have swivel breech, they had a roman candle sort of lock too, and several other types of flinters that could repeat.

With a few tricks you almost never need to wipe the bore between shots, but these tricks don't come so easy. You have another 15 years to learn more things.

I have won so much stuff in the years I can't begin to recall it all.

The one time I recall best it was me with my Nor West Gun the only flinter, no cap locks against modern shell shot guns. I won but was later disquailified for cheating. Beats me how they came to that idea. I had no rear si9ghts like they did, I just had a flintlock musket smooth bore apx 20 ga. I lost a turkey, and they wouldn't say how I cheated.

I smiled, said thanks for the shoot, but I won't pay to play here again. I'ld say they lost more than any turkey was worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies