Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:08 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times

Advertisements

There is another issue involving firearms that deserve debate. The widespread marketing, advertising and sales of firearms. I illustrate this with my personal copy of the NRA's Rifleman Magazine and ads in it. What this Liberal voice is a card carrying NRA member! I am also an AARP member which has a blind spot to senior citizen entitlements so it shouldn't be such a surprise. Now I get Rifleman because it is a interesting read and I believe in knowing an opponent. Now I can see the ads for the John Wayne Commemorative Rifle, the cheap German Mausers from some cache in Texas(get em while they last) and the long range, night eqipped sniper scope (I can see a real need when I am out at night and want to bring a deer down ar 1500 ft). I even got a chuckle from an ad for The Officers Answer, I think it would have been better ad copy if it read "The Answer to Police Officers" but thats just me. Now the ad that went beyond the pale. The full page ad for "Cheaper Than Dirt" Americas Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter where it is "Simply a click to buy at cheaper than dirt prices. Half the ad touts enhanced magazines, a 30 rounder for a Glock 17 is listed at $24.97. I didn't know you could get a spare magazines for your AK-47 for only $11.97. They also have a military style assault rifle with optical sight. I find an ad like this disgusting at many levels. I think something should be done. Years ago the airwaves and print media were chocked with advertising. for cigarrettes Cigarette ads had somes of Americas cultural icons. The Marlboro Man, The Camel, The Lucky Strike and the I'd Rather Fight than Switch Shinner of Benson and Hedges. We called for Phillip Morris , walked a mile for a Camel and wanted to be the debonair socialite with a Pall Mall.Well cigarrettes did measurable damage to the public well being and health. Although the 1st Ammendment protects free speach society recognized there are common sense limits and Congress and the FCC banned cigartette advertising on public airwaves and then later in print ads. Our airwaves and other media are not infested with ads for smoking or tobacco products. I think this is a place to start in the long battle to get gun fire out of American life and can't see that a advertising ban on guns, gun paraphenia and ammo has any problem with either the 2nd Ammendment or even the !st. Who agrees with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Paragraphs and proper sentence construction are free.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 01-23-2011 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: Spelling lol's

Old 01-23-2011, 08:24 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,417 times
So your mad that the gun magazine you bought has adds for guns????? Dumbest thing i ever heard.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
I disagree with you 1000%.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM

898 posts, read 827,710 times
I don't think there was a coherent thought in the initial post.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
There is another issue involving firearms that deserve debate. The widespread marketing, advertising and sales of firearms. I illustrate this with my personal copy of the NRA's Rifleman Magazine and ads in it. What this Liberal voice is a card carrying NRA member! I am also an AARP member which has a blind spot to senior citizen entitlements so it shouldn't be such a surprise. Now I get Rifleman because it is a interesting read and I believe in knowing an opponent. Now I can see the ads for the John Wayne Commemorative Rifle, the cheap German Mausers from some cache in Texas(get em while they last) and the long range, night eqipped sniper scope (I can see a real need when I am out at night and want to bring a deer down ar 1500 ft). I even got a chuckle from an ad for The Officers Answer, I think it would have been better ad copy if it read "The Answer to Police Officers" but thats just me. Now the ad that went beyond the pale. The full page ad for "Cheaper Than Dirt" Americas Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter where it is "Simply a click to buy at cheaper than dirt prices. Half the ad touts enhanced magazines, a 30 rounder for a Glock 17 is listed at $24.97. I didn't know you could get a spare magazines for your AK-47 for only $11.97. They also have a military style assault rifle with optical sight. I find an ad like this disgusting at many levels. I think something should be done. Years ago the airwaves and print media were chocked with advertising. for cigarrettes Cigarette ads had somes of Americas cultural icons. The Marlboro Man, The Camel, The Lucky Strike and the I'd Rather Fight than Switch Shinner of Benson and Hedges. We called for Phillip Morris , walked a mile for a Camel and wanted to be the debonair socialite with a Pall Mall.Well cigarrettes did measurable damage to the public well being and health. Although the 1st Ammendment protects free speach society recognized there are common sense limits and Congress and the FCC banned cigartette advertising on public airwaves and then later in print ads. Our airwaves and other media are not infested with ads for smoking or tobacco products. I think this is a place to start in the long battle to get gun fire out of American life and can't see that a advertising ban on guns, gun paraphenia and ammo has any problem with either the 2nd Ammendment or even the !st. Who agrees with this?

Cheaper than dirt,

Is a well used catalog around here and at my in-laws.
Just put my 10-22 back together, with composite short stock, 3G night vision & laser sighting and a 50 round tub.

Nice little hog plinker.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:33 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,369 times
1. Guns serve a useful purpose, unlike cigarettes
2. Guns are specifically protected in the constitution, again unlike cigarettes
3. How would banning advertisements for guns really help if you dislike guns so much?! There are plenty of places to buy guns, and for good reason.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:40 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
OH MY GOD!!!!!!! There are gun advertisements in a gun magazine. What a marketing idea, who would have ever thought.....

I disagree with your post and your attitude 100%.

/end

Old 01-23-2011, 09:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
Guess you can count me out. I recently bought a handgun so that I could enjoy target shooting. Now targets seldom shoot back, although I have been warned that they will sometimes return pieces of your bullets to you if the bullet hits a hard surface, so I was not overly concerned about how many magazines I owned or how many bullets they held.

Then, I started loading them. Oy Vey! Did I ever learn a lesson. My 13 round clip was "easy" to load, but after the 11th or 12th time my fingers were sore. I was wishing I have more magazines so I could load them and rest my fingers longer between loading. A higher capacity magazine would have been welcome as well. The last couple of bullets were the hardest to load due to the spring tension. If I had a 30 round mag instead of a 13 I could have only had a couple painful bullets to load per 30 rather than half a dozen.

Seems like a little thing, but until you have shot a couple hundred rounds and had to load them the extra magazines and high capacity magazines just have the same meaning.

I have learned in life that many things that don't make any sense tend become much more meaningful once experienced first hand. There are aspects of almost any activity that are senseless until you find out first hand why they are so important.

I remember in my youth when they banned DDT. That was such a horrible action. Now there was no product that could save me from those pesky mosquitoes. How could our government do such a stupid thing as to leave me defenseless against flying insects. Well a few hundred Egrets and Eagles later, I understand the purpose. I am still pissed about the mosquitoes, but I can live with it.

It is interesting that you do not mind the guns themselves, only the items that make shooting them easier. I personally would be more concerned about the ads concerning the night scopes than the 30 round magazine. The normal concern most anti gun minded folk have is the criminal activity and people injured by criminal use of the guns. I think a person with a night scope could do much more damage than a gangbanger with a 30 round mag in his Glock. Statistically the gangbanger fires 30 rounds and hits a couple people, none of whom they were aiming at. With a night scope that might increase to a 50% hit rate and most of them could be the intended targets.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Paragraphs and proper sentence construction are free.

They can ban firearms related ads when they ban political campaign ads. Not before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies