Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times

Advertisements

Not that it has a snowball's chance of passing, but what would happen if magazine ("clip" for the short bus folks) capacities were reduced to 10 rd mags? Glock 19s take 15 rd mags as stock. Would Glock 19s be useless? Would new mags have to be shortened with a smaller spring or internal floorplate? Would it be illegal to sell parts (springs, etc) that would allow a regular 15 rd mag to be constructed? How do you possibly register the millions of magazines out there? How is it possible for a DA to prove that a mag was transferred (esp. through inheritance) or sold?

Since it's unconstitutional to restrict grandfathering, do you think it was a wise move to overreach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 07:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Mag limits will accomplish nothing except to further restrict law abiding citizens. The bad guys don't care about silly gun laws. Never have, never will.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
it's silly. but it will definitely drive up the values of millions of exisiting hi-cap mags.

in fact, i suspect that just the possibility of it happening is driving up prices as we speak.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
They would plug them to a lowered capacity like a three round hunting shotgun. At the same time we give up our arms, we give up all the rest of our rights. This is dangerous stuff.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Mag limits will accomplish nothing except to further restrict law abiding citizens. The bad guys don't care about silly gun laws. Never have, never will.
110% agreement. I'm just curious what the media indoctrinated progressives (aka those who typically use the word clip when they mean magazine) think about this. Since the architect of this bill doesn't know what a barrel shroud was ("the thing you put on your shoulder" LOL), I'm just curious how these different problems will be addressed? Is McCarthy trying to overreach so as to create a compromise (ban mags with > 20rd capacity)? I think there was a danger in trying to construct a bill that went over the top like this, rather than aiming for the 33rd mags that were used in the shooting. I'm glad they overreached so that it'll die quickly, just sayin'...

Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
They would plug them to a lowered capacity like a three round hunting shotgun. At the same time we give up our arms, we give up all the rest of our rights. This is dangerous stuff.
I guess it "creates jobs"?

But, how do you restrict the sale/transfer of mags? How about inheritance? Some of these polymer and steel mags can last generations if you just replace the spring. Are springs going to be banned?

What about people unplugging the mags and keeping them around for a just incase situation, and keeping only the plugged ones when using on a public range? This is the most useless law I've seen.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I always figured if I could not settle a gunfight with another individual, close combat with several opponents is an exception, with 7 rounds, the capacity of a standard 1911 45. cal pistol or most shotguns, the rest would be irrelevant because I would likely be dead. If I was really worried about getting into a gunfight with a gang I would want a short barrel 12 ga. semi automatic shotgun with a 20 round clip and pistol grips.

I do not believe any part of our government should restrict personal firearms in any way shape or form. I can see the value of keeping major military weapons like artillery, tanks and heat seeking missiles regulated but I am not all that supportive of the idea.

BTW - criminals will have whatever weapons the cops are using. Always have and always will.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:12 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times
didn't this (hi-cap clips ban) happen already back in the Clinton era??

Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times
Glocks already have factory 10 rd mags for all of their models. 10rd max mags have been the law in many states for awhile now.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
We've dealt with this for a few years. It's stupid and LE has to have trouble with it. How do they know who has grand fathered weapons and who doesn't?

Many people have shown that a mag is so easy to swap out limiting them is stupid. If you count rounds you don't even have to rechamber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies