Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,400,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Glitch, really impounded? Do you know what the state does with such things? I hope it isn't all wasted for some schmoosie law.

Me i am chicken as they come when it comes to being eatten by a grizz. Maybe because I don't get to see any and they seem bigger than life, but for right now IMO there is no such thing a too much gun. I can live with that flaw pretty easy. What is it you plan to settle for? Holland and Holland 300 mag?

Back east all we need is a 30 30 pea shooter. That will take anything in NH. Nothing in NH will eat us.
I do not think anyone wants to eat a brown bear, considering their diet, even if they could. Black bears or inland grizzlies are more for eating. I do know that moose, musk ox, buffalo, or caribou that is killed in traffic is given to the local homeless eatery. So at least their meat is not wasted. They most likely took the brown bear to the landfill.

As far as the Remington .458 Win Mag is concerned, it throws a 540 grain bullet with 5,200 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle and a 60 pound felt recoil. Which makes it a good choice for hunting water buffalo, elephant, brown bears, polar bears, or any critter that is at least a half ton or larger. I have fired it maybe 20 times in the 20 years that I have owned it, and always at the range. I use to hunt moose with a .3006 (I'm too old for that now). I still hunt caribou with the same .3006. I do not hunt bear, so I only need a weapon to protect myself from them and a 12-gauge loaded with slugs is perfectly adequate for the job.

Last edited by Glitch; 01-24-2011 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times
I didn't know it was 60 pounds of felt recoil. Once i was given the chance to shoot a Weatherby bolt in .458, and again a chance for a 2nd round, but I learned the first time it was a bit more than I willingly would deal with on a paper target. Besides i drove the x right out of that target the first time, and as i saw things there was no need to be wastin any more paper.

Err well that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

It's a good bet I am the first and last to ever fire that particular gun. The owner was the father of a gal I had ideas set on to marry. He had a model of every Weatherby ever made, but never fired any of them. I was young, dumb and full of err you know, and ran my yapper enough to be so unfortunate to be allowed to try that gun. You understand the rest.

It's a shamed that beast was likey a total waste. I hate when that happens. There is so much to use even if it can't be food. At my least allowing other wild life to feast seems best.

I could tell that tale but this is OT enough probably. The point being some people in some places for many different reasons are most secure and most FREE armed.

That it is no one else bee's wax for those to choose to be armed are allowed by law.

The one thing there I am considering it to write my senate AND congress and see why those who choose to remain un-armed are not heavily taxed for that privilege.

That liberal whine is tiring me, and i want it to stop.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,400,833 times
Quote:
I didn't know it was 60 pounds of felt recoil. Once i was given the chance to shoot a Weatherby bolt in .458, and again a chance for a 2nd round, but I learned the first time it was a bit more than I willingly would deal with on a paper target. Besides i drove the x right out of that target the first time, and as i saw things there was no need to be wastin any more paper.

Err well that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

It's a good bet I am the first and last to ever fire that particular gun. The owner was the father of a gal I had ideas set on to marry. He had a model of every Weatherby ever made, but never fired any of them. I was young, dumb and full of err you know, and ran my yapper enough to be so unfortunate to be allowed to try that gun. You understand the rest.

When I shoot that Remington .458 I wear two Past pads AND I stick a folded up towel between the pads. Even then I cannot handle more than three shots. I can fire a 12-gauge or a .3006 all day long without any protection and it does not bother me, but that .458 really kicks my posterior.

Quote:
It's a shamed that beast was likey a total waste. I hate when that happens. There is so much to use even if it can't be food. At my least allowing other wild life to feast seems best.
If the brown bear was dumped at the Soldotna landfill, you can be certain it was consumed by other critters. Very little goes to waste here. Other bears, wolverines, wolves and various birds will ensure that.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 PM

633 posts, read 1,946,556 times
We don't need guns but some people want the right to own and some actually want to own.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
We don't need guns but some people want the right to own and some actually want to own.
We need guns at our house.

Venison is our main meat.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We need guns at our house.

Venison is our main meat.

Try farming. It's hard work, but it's honest.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It also destroys wildlife habitat. There's a reason so many species were extirpated in areas that were cleared for farming. In my own state, we lost elk, caribou, wolverines, wolves, fisher cats, catamounts, lynx, martens, beaver, and deer, bear and moose populations dwindled to where they were very rare (we imported deer from NY to re-build the deer herd in the 1870's, the moose only fully recovered in the 1990's). We re-introduced some of these, though some attempts failed (i.e., marten), and with some, there's no plans because of political reasons or because of uncertainties over success (wolves, elk...).

Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Yep. the smart ones want them, knowing they are a useful tool and this world isn't always a very nice place.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
Clear our land and ruin the natural habitat???

Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 AM

30,024 posts, read 18,596,563 times
Quote:

More clearing of land destroys the natural habitat for animals and destroys water quality.

We have more deer and turkey in our state than there was 150 years ago. Why has this happened? Hunting and plentiful food for game. Revenues from hunting and fishing is kicked back into the DNR to provide money for purchases and maintenance of land. Further, the DNR monitors wildlife populations and takes measures to expand or thin animal populations, sans natural predators. The DNR has allowed the reintroduction of certain species of animals wiped out by extensive farming as well. As a result, we have two herd of deer (18 and 16 deer) that live in our backyard. In addition, we have bobcat, fox, mink, falcons, hawks, and eagles as well. In the absence of hunting, many species would have been eliminated from our state long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies