Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,755,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Where does it say to do this with guns? In a democracy you overthrow with votes.
How exactly do you overthrow a "despot" with votes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,626,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
More clearing of land destroys the natural habitat for animals and destroys water quality.

We have more deer and turkey in our state than there was 150 years ago. Why has this happened? Hunting and plentiful food for game. Revenues from hunting and fishing is kicked back into the DNR to provide money for purchases and maintenance of land. Further, the DNR monitors wildlife populations and takes measures to expand or thin animal populations, sans natural predators. The DNR has allowed the reintroduction of certain species of animals wiped out by extensive farming as well. As a result, we have two herd of deer (18 and 16 deer) that live in our backyard. In addition, we have bobcat, fox, mink, falcons, hawks, and eagles as well. In the absence of hunting, many species would have been eliminated from our state long ago.
What do you care about animals? The human animal is the only one that matters. In my case, me specifically. In your case, probably you---at least it SHOULD be that way. Your mileage may vary.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,626,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Clear our land and ruin the natural habitat???
The natural habitat is not important.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,755,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Yep, a couple of pistols and machine guns oughta do it.

Okay, 5 machine guns and 30 hand grenades oughta do it... lol

Guns give people the funny illusion that they actually have some control or power. I own a gun myself, but I don't have illusions of grandeur - in relative terms, we gun owners are novices. We have jobs, families, leisure and compared to any well-trained artillary wonder, I wouldn't solely be blown away because my gun collection would look elementary at best, but also because I'm simply not skilled or trained to kill in the same manner. Moreover, my budget for equipment of all kinds isn't nearly 50% of the entire globe's budget combined.

Let's get real, guys. Your little 6-shooter isn't protecting you from tyrannical government.

I defintely see your point. That said, its probably not as cut and dry as people might think. Case in point: Afghans vs. Soviets

Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 AM

915 posts, read 1,189,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
How exactly do you overthrow a "despot" with votes?
The real question is how would a despot reach power?
Let's take the case of the current president, which I am sure some on this forum are afraid is approaching despot status, rightly or not.

Worst case, if he takes away freedoms and upsets too many people, he will simply be voted out in a couple years.

Done.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,269,909 times
I think it's hilarious that people equate one person or a few people revolting against a government as being any sort of insurrection. Insurrection occurs when lieutenants frag captains, captains frag colonels, and colonels frag generals. That typically happens when a high ranking official is witness to their family or friends being shot indiscriminately. Fortunately, government occupation is always impossible (esp. domestically) because people have feelings, regardless of how much indoctrination they've been dealt.

Equating someone with a six shooter trying to overthrow a government is a strawman to the extreme. People with molotov cocktails can disable tanks, tank soldiers can kill their commanding officer and commandeer the vehicle. Jet fighters and bombers can abscond with their toys or shoot down their own aircraft in defiance.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,383,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
This is why Alaskans carry a firearm:

That's one hellava kill there fella. Congratulations It is pictures like these which will educated the dreamers around here who don't know crap from shinola about the wilderness, wildlife and self preservation. Is the specimen a rug now?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,383,343 times
I own firearms because it is better to need them and have them, than need them and not have them. I have known police officers that have carried all of their lives and never even unholstered their firearm, much less use them in the line of duty. But they had them for a reason; self protection. Simple reasons for simple minds!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,947,159 times
The only critters that matter are humans? Oh really? That's interesting. It sure would provide for jobs. Just about everyone would need a paint brush to pollinate plants, or don't the poor little plants matter either?

I know i would sure be miffed if i couldn't make maple syrup.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,947,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I think it's hilarious that people equate one person or a few people revolting against a government as being any sort of insurrection. Insurrection occurs when lieutenants frag captains, captains frag colonels, and colonels frag generals. That typically happens when a high ranking official is witness to their family or friends being shot indiscriminately. Fortunately, government occupation is always impossible (esp. domestically) because people have feelings, regardless of how much indoctrination they've been dealt.

Equating someone with a six shooter trying to overthrow a government is a strawman to the extreme. People with molotov cocktails can disable tanks, tank soldiers can kill their commanding officer and commandeer the vehicle. Jet fighters and bombers can abscond with their toys or shoot down their own aircraft in defiance.

Summer's where ya been?
Donch you know 10 rednecks way up in nawthern Maine are the only ones with guns, and all they git is smoke poles....

I think these naysayers are confusing moma playin with that Insurrection more often than it really happens don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies