Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You expect lib/progressives to research things?

That would be counter productive to their phony "fear mongering".
Not necessarily true. I'm a progressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
gsm113, you sure seem to be helpless.

Here is a link to the CONS
THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION - We the People

try to read and understand it.

Some details on the Declaration of Independance
Declaration of Independence

The declaration and other sources
The Declaration of Independence - TEXT

It may be strange to you, that other people such as myself and a great deal of others are willing to shed blood both ways to protect these documents.

We the People hold the power of Govtr in the USA, not the govt. If voting fails to get what must be done we have the right to Revolt. If that revolt calls for violence then it just does.

Let us both hope this never becomes the case, but with infringments daily it is sure looking likely.

The USA is in a steep decline right now, with money nearly worthless, and no fools top be found to borrow from anymore.

That 14 trillion loan of which Red Commie China being the 3rd highest lender was a fruitless project and the states are nearing a govt collapse.

The shoppers of American are really n ot going to like worthless money and living in a sub standard way to peasents of Red Commie China much, but I can't help that. I can just help myself.

The question you must answer is are you going to be a good little red commie peasant or not. I already know my answer, and I will prefer death.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Why do we need guns exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
I realize the second amendment guarantees our right to own a gun.
I am neither pro- or against-gun control. However this weekend I received an advertisement with the newspaper from a local sporting goods store. The multi-page magazine style ad focused on guns and many of the items made me ask the question "why would someone need this?"
The one that sticks out the most was a gattling gun replica which can shoot some crazy number of rounds per minute.
I understand people like to go hunting but you don't need pistols for that. Perhaps you would need a pistol to defend against a home invasion, but if you outlaw guns that becomes less of an issue.
Where do you get the impression that criminals will give up their weapons?

Mexico has very stringent gun control laws. Has that done anything but disarm the general population? Are the drug cartels well armed and preying on the unarmed populace? Haven't there been tens of thousands of deaths in that country over the past three years as a direct result of the chaos incited by the cartels?

Quote:
I guess the main question is why do we need to have the right to own a gun?

In America we enjoy some rights that are nonexistent in most countries. The right to own firearms is one of those, and is part of our unique make-up. Of course, those prefer not to own firearms are perfectly free to do so. Those of us who lawfully own them are not a problem, and this is born out by statistics.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
LOL..a few things. First of all, Cabela's is NOT a sporting goods store. A sporting goods store is something like (Dick's, or Sports Authority or even Academy SPORTING GOODS).

Second, that's a .22, not a gatling gun. It's a kit to put together barrel guards and sights on a pieced together .22 rifles. There is nothing about that kit that makes it full auto. Your hysteria is quite funny.

Second, if you don't really know what you're talking about, research it first.

txgolfer, can you explain? I am not familar with any of these stores. I live very rural. I did order by mail red commie sandals from cabella's once and they give me a rash. These crap sandals are made in red commie china and contain toxis to my flesh.

In fact i hate these so bad anyone wanting can have them for free and I will pay the shipping. I warn anyone accepting, they are likey to have a 10 days rash for 20 minutes of the wearing.

But really i thought cabela's was a sporting goods store.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
It seems like the main reasons to have gun rights don't exist any more.
And I don't buy the argument that we need guns to protect us from a tyranical government. The government is a group representing the interests of the nation at large. The government and the people are one and the same so if they get tyranical they get voted out.
You are indeed naive!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You expect lib/progressives to research things?

That would be counter productive to their phony "fear mongering".

I agree. You can lead them to a link, but yet can not force them to read it.

It doesn't get any easier than that.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
I realize the second amendment guarantees our right to own a gun.
I am neither pro- or against-gun control. However this weekend I received an advertisement with the newspaper from a local sporting goods store. The multi-page magazine style ad focused on guns and many of the items made me ask the question "why would someone need this?"
The one that sticks out the most was a gattling gun replica which can shoot some crazy number of rounds per minute.
I understand people like to go hunting but you don't need pistols for that. Perhaps you would need a pistol to defend against a home invasion, but if you outlaw guns that becomes less of an issue.

I guess the main question is why do we need to have the right to own a gun?
People don't need a gun to break into your home to rape or kill you.

As a woman who lives alone, I will always need a gun in my home to
defend myself.

I have the right to enjoy my home without the fear that I am at the mercy of any thug who decides to break in.......knowing full well that I am defenseless.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Of course, but if guns are banned at a national level it would just be a matter of time before petty criminals would have great difficulty in obtaining them.
Do some research then get back tp us.

"Analysts in the U.S. were quick to point out that all of the other industrialized nations included in the survey had stringent gun-control laws, but were overall much more violent than the U.S"

Read more: Britain, Australia top U.S.<br> in violent crime Britain, Australia top U.S.<br> in violent crime

Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Annie, Any chance you will buy and use a .22 gatling gun kit to defend your valor and home? LOl

Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Absolutely know that they're two different documents. The Constitution gives specific powers to the branches of gov't. The Declaration of Independence gives the reasons and redresses of which the people have suffered under a oppressive gov't. And what to do about it.

The Declaration of Independence preceded the Constitution. Gave the reason for the foundation of the Country and the document(s) of governance of the people...for the people...by the people.

What preceded doesn't matter. What is the framework for the laws of the nation, does, however. I think the clause I quoted from it is pretty clear. No? Could Loughner use it to justify your premise and you would agree with it? Or do you think he was a lunatic with access to arms and ammo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies