Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:04 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times

Advertisements

Regarding Gore, I was thinking a LOT about environmental issues today and it occurred to me how difficult it is to be completely environmentally conscious. Al Gore's focus in his crusade is against Global Warming. Agree or disagree with his stance we can ALL agree that this is his schtick and where he wishes to "make his mark".

Now what the hell does a Chilean Sea Bass have to do with that??? I have no clue and as much as I wonder about Gore's motives and conclusions in his crusade against global warming, I can't fault him for being a bit ignorant on other environmental issues.

MY main environmental concerns are the polluting of waterways and, in general, recycling. I go out of my way a lot of the time to recycle things and believe a company should be brought within an inch of bankruptcy for illegal dumping in rivers, lakes, streams or the oceans... That said, I occasionally throw an aluminum can in the garbage, so sue me!!!! Point is that with environmental issues Gore, love him or hate him, is doing more good than harm regardless of whether he ate an endangered fish.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 02:25 PM

335 posts, read 1,436,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
I'm not going to pull a rep decrease or anything because I think it's dirty pool but this kind of ***** needs to stop..... Nothing serves to **** me off more than some ignoramous suggesting that the south has a monopoly on nazi/fascist types...
i never formally equated the two, but "the daily mail" *did* in fact support the nazis and facism, *is* a tabloid, and *does* have a right-wing bias:

Daily Mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i brought up the rural south because that's where i *personally* spent most of my life. sorry if it offends anyone, but it's very true that this thread reminds me of my time there and why i wanted to leave. it's just plain true for me, and i took a moment to vent.

i didn't use the term "dumbf@ckistan" to describe where i left, because i think that concept is truly insulting to those regions of the country, and my family that still lives there.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
i never formally equated the two, but "the daily mail" *did* in fact support the nazis and facism, *is* a tabloid, and *does* have a right-wing bias:

Daily Mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i brought up the rural south because that's where i *personally* spent most of my life. sorry if it offends anyone, but it's very true that this thread reminds me of my time there and why i wanted to leave. it's just plain true for me, and i took a moment to vent.

i didn't use the term "dumbf@ckistan" to describe where i left, because i think that concept is truly insulting to those regions of the country, and my family that still lives there.
Ignorance abounds all over. I'm certainly not in defense of the quoted website or anything they've necessarily supported in the past. Did it, perhaps, occurr to you for a moment that maybe your issue with the "rural south" is an issue with the part that you grew up in and not necessarily representative of ALL of the "rural south"??? That perhaps there is just as much ignorance in the northeast, midwest and great lakes regions???

I personally grew up half in the Great Lakes and half in the Rural South and the difference that I saw was that the "Rural South" actually has to deal with it's demons every day, while the Great Lakes area I was from was a commentary on how it's easy to lay judgement when you don't have anything in your backyard to compare things to....... Maybe I'm being a bit unclear, but I don't care to go into greater specifics really. Only saying that ignorance is all over. Not something owned by the "rural south" exclusively..

Edit: And if that is your experience of where you came from then it isn't my place to say you are right or wrong in that regard. So I apologize if I came across that way initially...

Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
I can't even take this man seriously - everytime I see him i think of that Saturday night live episode where they kept saying "Lock Box"

Old 07-19-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I personally grew up half in the Great Lakes and half in the Rural South and the difference that I saw was that the "Rural South" actually has to deal with it's demons every day, while the Great Lakes area I was from was a commentary on how it's easy to lay judgement when you don't have anything in your backyard to compare things to....... Maybe I'm being a bit unclear, but I don't care to go into greater specifics really. Only saying that ignorance is all over. Not something owned by the "rural south" exclusively..
i don't understand this part, but i get your general point. yes, one will find ignorance everywhere. it's definitely in places like chicago and new york. without any further presentation of my specific opinion on this matter, i will merely present the following map of demographic facts that exist apart from anyone's opinion:

http://www.brainspout.com/blog/images/map_edu.gif (broken link)

Old 07-19-2007, 05:12 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68-19 View Post
I can't even take this man seriously - everytime I see him i think of that Saturday night live episode where they kept saying "Lock Box"
Did you understand the lockbox concept that Gore was pushing? Do you know how important it was, and why he kept mentioning it? Are you aware that it is a conservative principle, and the fake right wing Bush administration has totally ignored it? Are you aware of how much better off we would be if the media (the so-called liberal media) had not made fun of it? Have you given even a moment's thought at whether or not we would have been better off if you had at least taken the man seriously enough to THINK about the concept, instead of accepting the twisted message of the media?

Are you aware that Mr. Bush also promised, during the 2000 campaign, to protect the "lockbox"? Are you aware that it was one of the first (of many) promises that he broke?

Old 07-19-2007, 05:23 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,845 times
Quote:
i don't understand this part, but i get your general point. yes, one will find ignorance everywhere. it's definitely in places like chicago and new york. without any further presentation of my specific opinion on this matter, i will merely present the following map of demographic facts that exist apart from anyone's opinion:

http://www.brainspout.com/blog/images/map_edu.gif (broken link)
Yeah but that map is just formal education.

I've encountered more ignorance with MBA's and Phd's than I have with blue collars who only have a 9th grade "education". Aside from that, education doesn't make you any more or less intelligent. In fact, I usually find folks with excessive amounts of formal education to be quite dull, and unidimensional.

~T

Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I've encountered more ignorance with MBA's and Phd's than I have with blue collars who only have a 9th grade "education".
wow, that's downright amazing.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
wow, that's downright amazing.
Ignorance is simply a state of being unaware. I find it worse some of the MBA types who talk out of thier collective arses about things they are unaware of......

Edit: Actually nevermind on the rest... WAY off subject...

Old 07-19-2007, 09:24 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:

MY main environmental concerns are the polluting of waterways and, in general, recycling. I go out of my way a lot of the time to recycle things and believe a company should be brought within an inch of bankruptcy for illegal dumping in rivers, lakes, streams or the oceans... That said, I occasionally throw an aluminum can in the garbage, so sue me!!!! Point is that with environmental issues Gore, love him or hate him, is doing more good than harm regardless of whether he ate an endangered fish.....

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm not a big fan of Al's, and in fact I voted against him in 2000, because I just wanted the stench of the Clinton regime washed out of the White House.

But you know what? Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I don't buy into all of this environmental alarmism, but I have no problem with reducing my eco-footprint. It just makes sense for future generations to go easy on the resources we have available to us. Why wouldn't I want to keep the air and water clean? Why not recycle? Why not drive a fuel-efficient car, turn up my thermostat a few degrees, and switch out my bulbs to fluorescents? It saves me money, and it puts less strain on the planet and its resources.

As far as I'm concerned, it's pro-life to be a good environmental steward. And you can do all of that without having to buy into all the environmental doom and gloom. Whether the sky is falling or not, you can still be nice to the planet! If Al makes more people stop and reflect about the choices they make, then he really is doing more good than harm. Sometimes, you just have to separate the message from the messenger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies