Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times

Advertisements

We are now in the 4th year of this economic slump with no end in sight. Yes the market bottomed in March 2009 and the recession officially ended in June, things have only stabilized since then. They really have not improved. We have hit bottom and basically have stayed there for the past two years. This is no ordinary recession. In the last depression the economy bottomed out in 1933 but there was so sustainable recovery until World War II. I think it's time the government be honest and declare we are in a depression which will take 5-10 years to recover from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
We are now in the 4th year of this economic slump with no end in sight. Yes the market bottomed in March 2009 and the recession officially ended in June, things have only stabilized since then. They really have not improved. We have hit bottom and basically have stayed there for the past two years. This is no ordinary recession. In the last depression the economy bottomed out in 1933 but there was so sustainable recovery until World War II. I think it's time the government be honest and declare we are in a depression which will take 5-10 years to recover from.
Yes.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:27 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Sadly, I think you are probably right. Bad news for many, many Americans and incumbent politicians. If you are right, they will all be sent packing, including Mr. 0. I just don't see the mechanisms for pulling rapidly out of this one. And if it does happen, I will be strongly suspicious that it is yet another bubble.

I think we have done enough deregulation, tax cutting, and cheap credit. What we really need now is massive innovation, at a systemic level. Major new industries or infrastructures are needed, but I haven't seen much beyond the I-PAD, Facebook, and Netflix lately. Until that happens, we will be skidding along the bottom.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:28 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think it's time the government be honest and declare we are in a depression which will take 5-10 years to recover from.
To be "honest", you'd have to preface your objections with the fact that we've lived for 77 years under a state of emergency.
The U.S. government went bankrupt and was re-organized, in the 1930s.
Already covered here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...hrive-die.html

Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Last time it took 5 years before the US Government admitted there was a depression.
1929..crash
1934..."Houston, we have a problem here".

2007 + 5 = 2012

Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Perhaps the bigger story is that the "health" of the overall US economy (in GDP/stock market/corporate profit terms) no longer depends on the health of the employment rate. We may be seeing the unhitching of the welfare of a large segment of Americans from the health of the nation's economic growth.

Those things used to be tied together; a healthy economy implied "full" employment, more or less. Perhaps that is simply no longer the case, and we can have a "healthy" economy with permanent structural unemployment and underemployment in the 20% range, due to ever-increasing productivity by the smaller pool of remaining workers, combined with profits garnered overseas.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Last time it took 5 years before the US Government admitted there was a depression.
1929..crash
1934..."Houston, we have a problem here".

2007 + 5 = 2012
I wasn't aware that it took five years after the crash in 1929 to be seen as a financial disaster of mega-proportions. I'm pretty sure politicians weren't finding support for claiming... "the fundamentals of American economy are strong" even couple of years down the road.

But in reality, I see this current debacle only an effect of the economic health of the nation since the recession of 2001. It simply never recovered.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Perhaps the bigger story is that the "health" of the overall US economy (in GDP/stock market/corporate profit terms) no longer depends on the health of the employment rate. We may be seeing the unhitching of the welfare of a large segment of Americans from the health of the nation's economic growth.

Those things used to be tied together; a healthy economy implied "full" employment, more or less. Perhaps that is simply no longer the case, and we can have a "healthy" economy with permanent structural unemployment and underemployment in the 20% range, due to ever-increasing productivity by the smaller pool of remaining workers, combined with profits garnered overseas.
Globalization did that. Companies can make profits on foreign sales which adds to their bottom line and does nothing for us. Companies can expand their foreign operations and hire local and that expands their business but does nothing for us.

Globalization has caused that split. If you read Annual Reports closely you'll see that US Corporate profits have mostly come from other countries.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
I don't believe we have hit close to the bottom.................yet.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:03 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But in reality, I see this current debacle only an effect of the economic health of the nation since the recession of 2001. It simply never recovered.
i see this as a cycle that we started around 1980. that's when we started all these policies designed to increase public debt, mortgage debt, student loan debt, credit card debt, et cetera.

credit expansion is like heroin to politicians and bankers. it makes everything wonderful for the time being, increasing the size of the problem, and postponing it until later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies