Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,932,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Bring back Archie Bunker and the Jeffersons!!!
One of the best shows ever!

There is not a liberal station that would show All in the Family, today.

Some of my more liberal friends are offended by All in the Family and claim it's racist. It's one of the most groundbreaking shows in history (and funny as hell) with regards to challenging and addressing the status quo in regards to recial relations, sexism, gender roles, conservative vs. lib, etc... in our culture and they just don't get it. So many libs are so similar to those on the far right in that they just can't grasp context and/or irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,189,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
Those are your opinions.

Do you really think that every time two boys got into a fight, they shook hands and became best of friends? Believe it or not, the world isn't quite that simple. The scenarios put the best possible spin (and yes, it is spin) on what the world was like decades ago, and the worst possible spin on today's world. That is not reality.
Here's reality now. My HS boys wrestle. One of the kids on their team is from Hispanic/Latino descent--his dad is a professor at a local university. When they were at a tournament a few weeks back, a kid from another school though it would be just HILARIOUS to walk up to him in the break area the kids used in the basement at the school and start calling him every ugly term he could think of for "Mexicans," and then started telling Mexican jokes. It was just good natured fun, right? It was SO FUNNY that it turned into a brawl between the two teams, with the kids from our school standing up for their friend. It evidently didn't last long, and they didn't get caught by a coach, but it was ugly and unnecessary.

It's not about "PC"--whatever that is--it's about acting like a decent human being, and being respectful of others. That's what I think good values (and real Christian values) are--not praising Jesus on one hand while you find an excuse to rip someone else apart on the other, all in the name of "fun."

Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM

155 posts, read 146,354 times
This is one of the most pathetic threads I have seen.

Keep living in your view of the world OP. Not everyone can be a happy "traditional" rural American values person. I hope we grow out of this attitude soon and move on.

You have proven nothing more than to be an elitist.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 AM

659 posts, read 1,756,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
HIGH SCHOOL -- 1981 vs. 2011

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1981 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2011 - School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1981 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins.. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2011 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not sit still in class, he disrupts other students.

1981 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2011 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1981 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2011 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1981 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.

2011 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1981 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2011 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher.. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1981 - Ants die.

2011 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated.
Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Wally falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Nancy. Nancy hugs him to comfort him.

1981 - In a short time, Wally feels better and goes on playing.

2011 - Nancy is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison... Wally undergoes 5 years of therapy.
Except for Scenario 4 and 7 - your entire post implies that the political correctness "movement" is responsible for zero tolerance policies/stricter rules enforced at K-12 schools. Unfortunately - it completely fails to acknowledge litigious parents as the fundamental cause of all of those rule changes.

School administrators didn't just randomly wake up one day and decide to implement those policies because it sounded cool. School administrators put those kinds of policies/cultural changes in place because somebody lost their shirt in a lawsuit.

And thanks to lazy parents who would rather spend their free time suing the local gym teacher over their kid's bloody nose from dodgeball than actually parenting - schools, and more specifically TEACHERS are held hostage by the "politically correct" scenarios you list above.

You're right - a lot has changed since 1981 - namely, an entire generation of parents have changed. Parents of today were children in the late 70s/early 80s (a lot of them), and (unfortunately) the many conveniences of our society (which were certainly around in 1981, but much more prevalent now) have also made it more convenient to pretend-parent:
  • McDonald's cooks for your kids (and if you accidentally spill your scalding hot coffee in your kid's lap - you get to sue McDonalds... because you're clumsy)

• TV entertains your kids (and if your kid gets into grandpa's arsenal and blows away his entire school, you get to sue the TV programmers who put on such violent programming... that you weren't monitoring... because you were too busy arguing about gun rights on an online discussion forum)

• And teachers raise/babysit your kids - for slave wages and unsustainable standards - so (of course) you get to sue them if you are an idiot parent who doesn't feel like enforcing rules in your own home, which then causes your dbag kid to think it's OK to violate playground rules and jump off the top of the slide onto another kid, breaking your kid's legs.
Scenario 4 - I think could be a thread in its own right about coporal punishment and the psychological ramifications that have been studied/disproven/etc. I think that's less about political correctness, and more about a fundamental cultural shift that corporal punishment is unnecessary at best, psychologically damaging at worst.

Scenario 7 - I think is a tad dramatized (well - most of these are), and I've never actually heard of something like that happening. But even if it did - again, I think that's a cultural shift response to the horror of 9/11, (and another whole discussion thread) but not necessarily a result of "political correctness."

So - if we are a more "politically-correct" society - it's certainly not because we all care so much about being more polite (5 min. in the Political Controversies section of this forum will prove that point) - it's (mostly) because a small percentage of the population figured out how to make a fast buck on frivolous lawsuits.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,902,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Some of my more liberal friends are offended by All in the Family and claim it's racist. It's one of the most groundbreaking shows in history (and funny as hell) with regards to challenging and addressing the status quo in regards to recial relations, sexism, gender roles, conservative vs. lib, etc... in our culture and they just don't get it. So many libs are so similar to those on the far right in that they just can't grasp context and/or irony.
We have a local station that plays re-runs of the show every day, and since all media besides FOX is Liberal according to the right then I guess that means your statement is incorrect. You do know that the man playing Archie is very Liberal in real life. The show made people look at how ridiculous racist thinking actually was and made people think while laughing. It is why I also love George Carlin he made us think while we laughed, cannot beat that for entertainment.
Casper

Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,189,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
We have a local station that plays re-runs of the show every day, and since all media besides FOX is Liberal according to the right then I guess that means your statement is incorrect. You do know that the man playing Archie is very Liberal in real life. The show made people look at how ridiculous racist thinking actually was and made people think while laughing. It is why I also love George Carlin he made us think while we laughed, cannot beat that for entertainment.
Casper
That's just it--Archie Bunker is pure satire. He was poking fun at bigots...not encouraging them. There seems to be a subtle difference there that some don't get.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:02 PM

68,300 posts, read 54,222,946 times
All the NeoConfused whining about liberal political correctness is quite amusing seeing how it was one of their own who felt it necessary to drape nude statues in the DoJ.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 PM

68,300 posts, read 54,222,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Damn, why don't they blame me? I need the publicity!
No shortage of NeoConfuseds volunteering to play the victim game, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies