Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times

Advertisements

Ever since the cost of corn has skyrocketed I've stopped buying Doritos, anyway. I tend to buy the generic chips that cost less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
It's funny how different people can see very different things. Some comments on here complain that these adds are pro-gay and celebrate / promote a disgusting and perverted "lifestyle", whereas if you read the youtube comments you see a lot of gays complaining that these adds are anti-gay by perpetuating negative stereotypes.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's funny how different people can see very different things. Some comments on here complain that these adds are a disgusting celebration of perverted lifestyle, whereas if you read the youtube comments you see a lot of gays complaining that these adds are anti-gay by perpetuating negative stereotypes.
All commercials perpetuate stereotypes.
Why should the gays be offended..they are finally included.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:59 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I never thought they were trying to target gays. I think they're just trying to be entertaining.
Every business does something for a reason. There are target markets and they have to weight these things carefully or they can cause reductions in markets as well. Being "funny" is a secondary aspect of them, the main issue is to appeal to more buyers and increase the movement of their product. In issues such as this topic, it is political and controversial. Some may think it funny, some may be turned off by it, some may be offended by it. No company wastes money of this nature without looking for a positive return from it unless they are looking to promote a political position. Doing so in this nature, concerning the market that exists for it is simply throwing money away as I said, it is likely to upset more people than it is to appeal to those who would approve of it. Too much politics by a business can result in a business having troubles. It was a poor decision business-wise in my opinion.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Remember the "Snickers" commercial where two guys start at each end of the candy bar and meet in the middle? Remember the fallout? Must have cost them a wad!!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
It is our year to have a super bowl party.

Thanks for the "heads up".

I'll have to remember to watch the looks on the guy's faces as they watch.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:03 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Remember the "Snickers" commercial where two guys start at each end of the candy bar and meet in the middle? Remember the fallout? Must have cost them a wad!!!!
A "wad"!!!!

Ha ha.....

You made a funny!!!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Doesn't make sense to me as it appears the commercials are driven by a political position rather than one to attend to that of a business sense. To spend millions of dollars on a commercial that targets to what is considered a statistically insignificant market is rather odd. The market they would gain from such alone is likely to not even cover the market of those who may be turned off by the display.
They are not trying to get gays to eat more Doritos. Do you think they are going to spend millions on tv ads during a football game and market to homosexual men? They are marketing their product to people who have the wit to understand good humor.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
All commercials perpetuate stereotypes.
Why should the gays be offended..they are finally included.
Included by being represented how though?

I disagree, but I understand their point - the portrayal in these adds is of gossipy, feminine, sexualized men (hardly representative of gay men as a whole). They feel this just adds to the misconception of those who truly seem to believe all gay men are feminized, sex-crazed, boozing deviants living a debauched "lifestyle".

To that I say people like that aren't going to be swayed. Enjoy the funny adds.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:11 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
They are not trying to get gays to eat more Doritos. Do you think they are going to spend millions on tv ads during a football game and market to homosexual men? They are marketing their product to people who have the wit to understand good humor.
As I said, businesses do not do things for humor and simple jest. There is always a desire to increase markets, etc...

Now maybe they thought that this would be controversial and think that all press is good press? After all, we are discussing it are we not? Who knows, but the fact remains that businesses exist to make money and the decisions they make, especially when it concerns "spending" money, is expected to provide a return in some fashion. A business that does not consider these things does not stay in business very long. There is a reason for this commercial and it isn't simply to generate laughs for those who consider themselves of a higher intellectual caliber when it concerns humor. There is always a reasoning process to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies