Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's advertising..keep it out front and after a while it will be accepted by the masses.
This is how it works.
It's not working on me. In fact it's having the opposite effect. I never paid much attention to gay activism in the past, and considered it a sort of lunatic fringe, but now I am confronted with it everywhere I turn and it has become quite annoying (like pan handlers and squeegee guys at every stop light). There doesn't seem to be a forum here that isn't visited by someone pushing the gay agenda. This is obviously intentional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
course most of my Gay and Lesbian counterparts will find it "fierce" or "fabulous".....and yet they wonder why society STILL has a negative attitude about us.
Actually, the reactions from gays appears to be split about 50/50. Comments here:

Doritos Going Gay for Super Bowl? | News | The Advocate

Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
The overwhelming majority of the people in the gay community don't go out of their way on a daily basis to talk about specifically gay topics, they live their lives, enjoy their successes and deal with their problems just like any other normal person would.

Most gay people aren't so superficial that they're going to buy a product just because the company put out some cliche' gay commercial for it.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Every business does something for a reason. There are target markets and they have to weight these things carefully or they can cause reductions in markets as well. Being "funny" is a secondary aspect of them, the main issue is to appeal to more buyers and increase the movement of their product. In issues such as this topic, it is political and controversial. Some may think it funny, some may be turned off by it, some may be offended by it. No company wastes money of this nature without looking for a positive return from it unless they are looking to promote a political position. Doing so in this nature, concerning the market that exists for it is simply throwing money away as I said, it is likely to upset more people than it is to appeal to those who would approve of it. Too much politics by a business can result in a business having troubles. It was a poor decision business-wise in my opinion.
I agree. I find it interesting that so many people assume that these companies are so smart. I think that doritos made a mistake with this commercial. We'll see...

Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
To those who think Doritos made a mistake with the ad, how is it much different from the Snickers ads which aired a couple of years ago? I don't believe Snickers lost revenue over their ads.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Actually, the reactions from gays appears to be split about 50/50. Comments here:

Doritos Going Gay for Super Bowl? | News | The Advocate
yes I noticed that.... thanks for that link. My opinion stands. I simply hate stereotypes against anyone whether they be white, black, gay, asian, etc. And this is simply playing on it. I usually don't do the whole boycott thing, but if Frito Lay DOES air these, I will NEVER buy another Frito Lay product. Like one of the comments on the website said, they could have toned down the overly fem guys by the pool.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Quote:
To those who think Doritos made a mistake with the ad, how is it much different from the Snickers ads which aired a couple of years ago? I don't believe Snickers lost revenue over their ads.
It's not that I think they made a mistake, but they didn't need to exploit the usual stereotypes.

Supposed KFC made a commercial with a bunch of black people sitting out on their front porch, eating fried chicken, watermelon and drinking orange soda all while listening to gangster rap music. Would that be deemed "hilarious","funny" or some other excuse??? NO!! Why?? Because not all black people do or eat those things, just like not all gay men act feminette and are after EVER man alive.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
That was my first reaction too, but I think there are probably lots of heteros who know that most gays aren't "flamers". They understand that the characters in the first commercial are exaggerated stereotypes.

Of course, I might be wrong too.

If anyone here thinks that the guys in the first commercial are representative of most gays, please tell us. I promise I won't attack you for it.
I disagree. Where do you live? Los Angeles perhaps? I used to live in west hollywood, calif and felt really sheltered because everyone (and I mean everyone) was a Liberal Democrat. We all basically thought the same way and knew that there were many different types of people (gays incl). Because I was raised in conservative Texas and went back to visit a few times a year, it taught me the reality that this country is not always such a nice tolerant place. I seriously know of ppl that don't know any gay people and judge by the negative stereotypes that they see in the media, TV and film. The first film plays into all of the stereotypes that the promiscuous gays are trying to flirt with and eye the "straight guy" and that straight guys have something to fear from gay men who just want to pounce on them.

The second one might have been better if the big beefy guy actually displayed a lascivious grin instead of the "oh no you didn't" attitude, and if the skinny guy had been cuter.

It is odd to me that most of the gay haters on this thread don't like it either. i would think that they might think that it " puts those nelly gays in their place", the butts of jokes for middle america.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I am offended...not because it is gay related (hello I'm gay), but the "swishyness" and innuendos that it has. NEWS FLASH....not all gay men are flamers, nor do we want to have sex with any man with a schlong.
Once again the mainstream advertisers are feeding into the NEGATIVE stereotype that most of America thinks we already are. Of course most of my Gay and Lesbian counterparts will find it "fierce" or "fabulous".....and yet they wonder why society STILL has a negative attitude about us.
Why couldn't Frito Lay produce an ad where some gay men are hanging with some straight buddies and enjoying something other than each others sexual parts??
I agree with you - reminds me of a Sambo type ad. Maybe they should just do a commercial with folks eating Doritos in black face and dancing

Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:

Funny? Not even in the same league with this classic...

http://videosift.com/video/Schmitts-Gay-Beer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies