Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Some opinions are best left unstated, hmmmm?
It's my opinion, I can state it all I want to, just like you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
And I can state that I sincerely hope that you get BANNED.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I was talking to this young lady yesterday. She has lost four friends and acquaintances from suicide in the past two months. Some of them had a lot going for them. She feels that people have lost hope these days.

One beautiful girl got drunk on New Years Eve and said she was going to jump off the balcony. Noyone took her seriously.....

Others seeing some type of epidemic or trend going on?
Statistically, between the ages of 15 - 24, suicide accounts for 12 percent of all deaths. It is the second leading cause of death for college students and the third leading cause (after homicide and accidents) for children under 25.

I don't understand why it has become such an attractive solution for younger people. For older folks, who are facing a painful illness and eventual death, I can understand, but for young people who seemingly have their whole lives ahead, it's incomprehensible.

Some of the other posters have mentioned the preponderance of pharmaceutical intervention these days, i.e. "anti-depressants" having a marked influence. I think that is a large part of the problem.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-25-2011, 02:12 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Also if they are in a mess and cant get out. An Indiana woman killed herself and her three children today. I dont think its the stigma....the media is covering it up, just like they are the housing slump.....

Old 01-25-2011, 02:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Suicide is for quitters and weaklings. You should have been on medication if you were that bad.
Wow.

Ya know, my Father used to think the same way you do...until his daughter became one of those 'weaklings'. It took nearly losing a member of his family before he finally came around. Let's hope it doesn't go that way for you.

And I can't take medication, I have to go through extensive testing before I'm allowed to take anything because of my genetic disorder. You're lucky you don't have to deal with stuff like that, life must be so grand up in your perfect ivory tower.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Why aren't they getting treatment? Why? Some people are just quitters and weaklings, some have other issues. This high rate of suicides all of a sudden isn't from an increase in mental illness. It is from the repurcussions of bad life decisions that have come home to roost. Not all of them, but the big spike is. This is my opinion, I apologize if it offends you, but it shouldn't.
I don't care that you have an opinion that you're stating, I would just like you to be very clear that what you're saying is your opinion and not a fact. Your opinion is one of many, many theories, and I was pointing out that the opinion has no scientific support.

There are plenty of reasons people don't seek treatment: lack of funds, stigma/judgment, lack of mental health treatment options, and adverse reactions to medication come to mind off the top of my head. There are more.

Actually, there has been a decrease in completed suicides from 1950 to 2003 (Suicide Statistics at Suicide.org! Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics, Suicide Statistics!), if you average across age groups. Just because the media reports on it more frequently now than in 1950 doesn't make the actual RATES higher now.

I never posited there was an increase in mental illness (although, you can certainly argue that diagnosis is different across decades and can even argue some things are overdiagnosed), merely that research has strongly linked a history of mental illness to suicidal behavior (90% of suicides correlated with a history of mental illness, suicide.org). Whether in 1950 or 2011, there is a relationship between the two.

Quote:
Absolutely true. It just seemed to get a little personal there for a moment and I was questioning the appropriateness of it, not your right to state it.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Suicide is for quitters and weaklings. You should have been on medication if you were that bad.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,729 times
Can I just say... you may or may not be religious, but you have to believe in something bigger outside yourself..... even if that 'something' doesn't really have a name or specific definition. Sometimes that's the only thing that keeps you from ending your life. The idea that being alive is a gift and a privilege... and no matter how bad things are, or how many bad things have happened to you, and you have to make the best of it while you have it.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
No.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
I would say a lot of it is debt...... and add that to the fact that many people have lost meaning in their lives... extended families that used to provide support & meaning are scattered & shattered... people can't find work, and wages SUCK..... too many people on drugs (legal and illegal),, and drunk... no sense of belonging to a community. 99% of relationships seem to be dysfunctional. Plus there doesn't seem to be much hope for the future, in general. That's it in a nutshell, I think...
You pretty much nailed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies