Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times

Advertisements

I'm conservative. I thought she was wrong. I'm sure the left has a few of these too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Thank God you wrote this!!!!...my jaw hung lower and lower at every sentence of this set of lies and silliness. There are actually fools who not only believe this drivel but believe others would be as well.

Maybe you'll do a better job of answering my questions...

Isn't the assertion in the Declaration of Independence that all mean are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights incompatible with slavery?

Weren't individual Founders, such as Ben Franklin, actively involved in the Abolition Movement?

Weren't the efforts of men like John Quincy Adams, a continuation of that effort?

Doesn't the original Bill of Rights make rights acknowledged by the Fourteenth Amendment essentially a truism?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Lincoln cites the Constitution as his authority and inspiration for acting to declare all person held as slaves to be free.

"And by virtue of the power, and for the purpose aforesaid, I do order and declare that all persons held as slaves within said designated States, and parts of States, are, and henceforward shall be free; and that the Executive government of the United States, including the military and naval authorities thereof, will recognize and maintain the freedom of said persons.
And I hereby enjoin upon the people so declared to be free to abstain from all violence, unless in necessary self-defense; and I recommend to them that, in all cases when allowed, they labor faithfully for reasonable wages.
And I further declare and make known, that such persons of suitable condition, will be received into the armed service of the United States to garrison forts, positions, stations, and other places, and to man vessels of all sorts in said service.
And upon this act, sincerely believed to be an act of justice, warranted by the Constitution, upon military necessity, I invoke the considerate judgment of mankind, and the gracious favor of Almighty God."

Featured Document: The Emancipation Proclamation

How can the Constitution the Founders wrote and ratified be irrelevant to the end of slavery?
Your four questions were irrelevant. I never said the Constitution was irrelevant. And it would be Michelle Bachmann claiming the Emancipation Proclamation to be irrelevant.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your four questions were irrelevant. I never said the Constitution was irrelevant. And it would be Michelle Bachmann claiming the Emancipation Proclamation to be irrelevant.

In that case I apologize since obviously I missed the part where she said the Emancipation Proclamation was disconnected from our founding principles and the the Abolition Movement which was based on the very same principles.

Is there another video?

After I watch this other video in which she makes the claim you allege she did, I'll send her office an E-mail with the portion of the Emancipation Proclamation I used earlier in which President Lincoln cites the Constitution as his source of authority and inspiration for ordering an end to slavery. That way she won't make that same alleged mistake again.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
In that case I apologize since obviously I missed the part where she said the Emancipation Proclamation was disconnected from our founding principles and the the Abolition Movement which was based on the very same principles.

Is there another video?

After I watch this other video in which she makes the claim you allege she did, I'll send her office an E-mail with the portion of the Emancipation Proclamation I used earlier in which President Lincoln cites the Constitution as his source of authority and inspiration for ordering an end to slavery. That way she won't make that same alleged mistake again.
What's the title of the link? Do you have comprehension problems? When she states that the Founding Fathers are responsible for the abolition of slavery, she is making the events after the Founding Fathers irrelevant to the issue of slavery. That would include the Civil War, President Lincoln, and the Emancipation Proclamation. Hence, the title of the link. You are trying to revise what Bachmann says (revisionist history not simply applying to century-old history, but also to very recent history), by trying to establish a continuity between the Emancipation Proclamation and the Founding Fathers.
Unfortunately, you are unable to argue that several of the Founding Fathers were slaveowners, and that those Founding Fathers willingly suspended their principles of equality when it came to slavery, and chose to compromise on the issue. That's the actual history. Compromise. It's in the Constitution, which I'm sure you're familiar with, though I'm not so sure Bachmann is all that familiar with the documents she likes to refer to, inaccurately.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Aren't you the same guy always calling conservatives "haters" for simply disagreeing with the leftist agenda? Yet all you do is call conservatives "crazy" and "racist." Hypocrisy at it's worst.
Simply disagreeing? No, I have called some people haters for some of the bombastic rhetoric that has been used, and Bachmann certainly fits into that category.

Trying to suggest that members of Congress should be investigated for being Anti-American is pretty freaking crazy, and thats just the beginning of the nutty stuff that has come out of her mouth.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
While Bachmann is an infinite source of amusement, this is much to do about nothing.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:05 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Actually listened to the video. She said forbearer. Yes, many founders were also abolistionist. You need to watch the video. She has some other factual errors. I get the intent she was trying to get across and it was a fine point but she wasn't accurate in her historical portrayal of the issue.
Don't worry, Obama is just as bad at American history.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Some prominent leaders of the Revolution raised their voices to oppose slavery on moral grounds. Slaves and free Africans embraced the principles of liberty and equality embedded in the Declaration as their own best hope for freedom and better treatment. Many, fighting as soldiers in the American armies, helped to defeat the British, while earning their freedom and gaining the respect and gratitude of some whites. And clinging to their own understanding of "all men are created equal," they pushed the country closer to living out the full promise of its words.
Charters of Freedom - The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, The Bill of Rights

Quote:
They proposed a strong central government made up of three branches: legislative, executive, and judicial; each would be perpetually restrained by a sophisticated set of checks and balances. They reached compromises on the issue of slavery that left its final resolution to future generations. As for ratification, they devised a procedure that maximized the odds: the Constitution would be enacted when it was ratified by nine, not thirteen, states. The Framers knew they had not created a perfect plan, but it could be revised. The Constitution has been amended twenty-seven times and stands today as the longest-lasting written constitution in the world.
Charters of Freedom - The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, The Bill of Rights

Quote:
The four years of Civil War that ripped apart the nation from 1861–65 achieved what seventy-five years of compromise could not: it resolved once and for all the question of slavery in the United States. By 1860, there were 4.5 million slaves in the United States. Military necessity and the force of human passion for liberty pushed emancipation to the top of the nation's agenda. Two major milestones marked slavery's final destruction during the war years: the Emancipation Proclamation and the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution.

President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863, declaring that "all persons held as slaves" within the rebellious areas "are and henceforward shall be free." It also announced the acceptance of former slaves into the Union's armed forces. The Constitution grants extended powers to the President during times of war, and although it would not permit the President to interfere with slavery in the states under normal circumstances, it would do so during wartime.

Franklin Petitions for Abolition of Slavery

Quote:
Washington seems to have feared that if he took such a public stand, the southern states would withdraw from the Union (something they would do seventy years later, leading to the Civil War). He had worked too hard to build the country to risk tearing it apart.
Privately, however, Washington could -- and did -- lead by example. In his will, he arranged for all of the slaves he owned to be freed after the death of his wife, Martha. He also left instructions for the continued care and education of some of his former slaves, support and training for all of the children until they came of age, and continuing support for the elderly.
George Washington's Mount Vernon - George Washington and Slavery

Quote:
Thomas Jefferson was a consistent opponent of slavery throughout his life.[1] He considered it contrary to the laws of nature that decreed that everyone had a right to personal liberty. He called the institution an "abominable crime," a "moral depravity," a "hideous blot," and a "fatal stain" that deformed "what nature had bestowed on us of her fairest gifts."
Thomas Jefferson and Slavery « Thomas Jefferson

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Quote:
Although John Jay’s father, Peter Jay, was one of the largest slave owners in New York, the son became a leading advocate of manumission. Immediately after Independence in 1777, while helping to draft New York State’s first constitution, Jay sought to abolish slavery but was overruled (see John Jay to Robert R. Livingston, Gouverneur Morris, 4/29/1777, Jay ID #2819). He continued his call for emancipation in private correspondence. “I should also have been for a clause against the continuation of domestic slavery,” wrote Jay to political colleagues while reviewing drafts of the constitution.
John Jay and Slavery

Quote:
"We have seen the mere distinction of colour made in the most enlightened period of time, a ground of the most oppressive dominion ever exercised by man over man." [RIGHT]— Speech by Madison at the Constitutional Convention, June 1787[/RIGHT]
Madison and Slavery | The Montpelier Community - James Madison's Montpelier... Restore Montpelier, Rediscover Madison (http://www.montpelier.org/explore/community/slavery_and_madison.php - broken link)

Quote:
He was throughout his life opposed to slavery and openly scornful of those who defended "the peculiar institution."
Founding Fathers of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bachman wasn't all that far off. You have to remember the status quo was slavery and the nation was founded by people from that status quo. More important to them was to write into our nations founding documents the terms to end slavery when the nation was ready.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I love it when she says (talking about the founding of this country), "It didn't matter the color of their skin... It didn't matter their economic status...Once you got here [to America], we were all the same."

Yeah, right. We were all the same.

Unless you were black.
Three-fifths compromise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or a woman. Or didn't own land. Or lived in DC. Or you lived in the South...
U.S. Voting Rights
Or you were a savage indian who was already here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies