Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Most liberal and most Democratic aren't always the same, nor is most conservative and most Republican.
With that said, many of those cities on there are the most liberal cities in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Dude, you're angry and bitter, and it's causing you to be delusional. It also sounds like you have a problem with white people, liberals, or maybe both. What's so bad about white people to you? Or do you believe that whites should only be conservative?

Democrats generally represent liberals and Republicans generally represent conservatives. A quick glance at the faces in the audiences at the Democratic and Republican conventions shows that Republicans are 'overwhelming' (as you love to say) - white.

AFP: Sea of white faces at Republican convention
Ah so, since I don't buy into the line that I'm a minority, so I need to think and vote like a Democrat, bothers you eh? I'm "delusional" because I don't toe the party line like 75%+ of other minorities? Thanks for letting me know makes me glad I left the Democrats.

To answer your strawman, you took it in my post that I hate white people. Actually, it could be further from the truth. I love white people, more so the ones who don't look at us minorities as tokens (like liberal ones do) to be used to race bait the Republicans. Since you decided to go the strawman route and attack my post with false assumptions, you failed to read between the lines because you have the liberal blindfold on, and you'd have seen that the people who push multiculturalism, racial politics, and political correctness are wealthy upper-middle, upper class, white Democrats. I have far more in common with a poor white conservative than I do with a better off white liberal. Here's your opportunity to create your 2nd strawman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Doesn't sound like he hates whites, sounds more like he hates his culture and himself.
Well since you are a liberal, I'm not surprised that you failed to read between the lines and think I said "I hate white people and myself". I don't hate people, hate is a strong word. I dislike white, upper-middle, upper class white liberals who push racial politics on the Republicans to race bait them, multiculturalism, and victimhood down every minority's throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Most liberal and most Democratic aren't always the same, nor is most conservative and most Republican.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
With that said, many of those cities on there are the most liberal cities in the nation.
Many cities, particularly the smaller ones, in the country that vote Democrat, vote Democrat not because they love gays or any other liberal talking point, but vote Democrat because they are conditioned to believe that Democrats are immune to racism, and the Democrats will keep the welfare checks flowing. Where I live the downtown is majority black and always vote Democrat, but I would hardly call it liberal. The only socially liberal area in that city is near the clubs and bars on the main street. Minorities don't vote Democrat because they are social liberals. Minorities as a whole, are fiscally liberal, socially conservative.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Let's look at the top 10 state for highest concentration of black people:

The blue aren't represented much. Are these states seen as liberal or progressive?

It's okay, my liberal friends all deny that they try to avoid black areas. They all do it, and I only bust their balls when I hear them talking about tolerance and diversity.
You're going to make yourself look like a fool if you really pursue this argument. Look at those southern states that you have at the top of those list and look at how the blacks in those states vote. In fact, lets break it down to the county lines.

Here's a map of the U.S. by percentage of blacks:

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo200/pct_black.pdf

Now look up the states here:
2008 US Presidential Election Results - Mississippi - USATODAY.com

See how most of western Mississippi is predominantly black? See how that section votes blue?

See how southern and central South Carolina is predominant black? See how that section votes blue?

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about, and you try to distort the issue by changing the argument to states, which are huge. In Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, and other states, there are many counties that are 97%+ white, and that make it very clear that they wish to stay this way. These are the most conservative places in those states, bar none.

I live in a red state, but the city I live in is predominantly black. The city is deep blue, yet the state is almost always red, just like the suburbs of the city, which is overwhelmingly white. Get it yet?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
You're going to make yourself look like a fool if you really pursue this argument. Look at those southern states that you have at the top of those list and look at how the blacks in those states vote. In fact, lets break it down to the county lines.

Here's a map of the U.S. by percentage of blacks:

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo200/pct_black.pdf

Now look up the states here:
2008 US Presidential Election Results - Mississippi - USATODAY.com

See how most of western Mississippi is predominantly black? See how that section votes blue?

See how southern and central South Carolina is predominant black? See how that section votes blue?

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about, and you try to distort the issue by changing the argument to states, which are huge. In Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, and other states, there are many counties that are 97%+ white, and that make it very clear that they wish to stay this way. These are the most conservative places in those states, bar none.

I live in a red state, but the city I live in is predominantly black. The city is deep blue, yet the state is almost always red, just like the suburbs of the city, which is overwhelmingly white. Get it yet?
What he's saying is that voting Democrat does not necessarily mean an endorsement of socially liberal positions such as pro LGBT. Blacks and Hispanics vote Democrat for the most part, because they keep the welfare checks coming, and are led to believe that white Democrats can never be racist, because they are Democrats. Who was instrumental in voting to ban gay marriage in California with Prop 8? Why blacks and Hispanics! In fact, if it wasn't for them, Prop 8 would never have been approved. I was one of those Democrats. Fiscally liberal, socially conservative Hispanic Democrat. Same for all my family, whom they also abhor gay marriage and abortion, but vote Democrat because they keep are falsely led to believe that the Democrats are the "party of the people"

Old 02-21-2011, 08:27 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
How can they abhor gay marriage if they aren't gay? It's not up to them to control the lives of others. It's not fair. It's not equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Fiscally liberal, socially conservative Hispanic Democrat. Same for all my family, whom they also abhor gay marriage and abortion, but vote Democrat because they keep are falsely led to believe that the Democrats are the "party of the people"

Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How can they abhor gay marriage if they aren't gay? It's not up to them to control the lives of others. It's not fair. It's not equal.
Not on topic. This has been discussed already thousands of times on here anyway, and you know my personal position

Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
You are being incredibly unfair.

Quote:
Not on topic. This has been discussed already thousands of times on here anyway, and you know my personal position

Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
What he's saying is that voting Democrat does not necessarily mean an endorsement of socially liberal positions such as pro LGBT. Blacks and Hispanics vote Democrat for the most part, because they keep the welfare checks coming, and are led to believe that white Democrats can never be racist, because they are Democrats. Who was instrumental in voting to ban gay marriage in California with Prop 8? Why blacks and Hispanics! In fact, if it wasn't for them, Prop 8 would never have been approved. I was one of those Democrats. Fiscally liberal, socially conservative Hispanic Democrat. Same for all my family, whom they also abhor gay marriage and abortion, but vote Democrat because they keep are falsely led to believe that the Democrats are the "party of the people"
That's not what that poster is saying at all, that's what you're saying.

Your interpretation of why blacks and hispanics largely vote Democrat is pretty ignorant in my opinion. Most of my friends and family are minorities, primarily liberal or even further left, and none of them are on welfare. Also, I've never met anyone so stupid that they think that white democrats cannot be racist, since many so obviously are. Your argument is predicated on making a caricature of most minorities in America as easily duped fools of welfare dependent layabouts.

Also though the argument regarding conservatism is more accurate for hispanics than for blacks, in the larger context of this discussion is pretty empty. There are sticking points like gay marriage and abortion where the greater levels of religiosity amongst blacks and hispanics clashes with liberal doctrine, but the fact of the matter is, blacks and hispanics have found that their interest align more with the Democrats, who sadly represent the only "left" option in American politics, than the Republicans, who are more openly "right". This is not out of sheer stupidity on their part, and to act as though this is the case amounts to a pretty staggering misrepresentation of the past 40 years of American politics.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
That's not what that poster is saying at all, that's what you're saying.

Your interpretation of why blacks and hispanics largely vote Democrat is pretty ignorant in my opinion. Most of my friends and family are minorities, primarily liberal or even further left, and none of them are on welfare. Also, I've never met anyone so stupid that they think that white democrats cannot be racist, since many so obviously are. Your argument is predicated on making a caricature of most minorities in America as easily duped fools of welfare dependent layabouts.

Also though the argument regarding conservatism is more accurate for hispanics than for blacks, in the larger context of this discussion is pretty empty. There are sticking points like gay marriage and abortion where the greater levels of religiosity amongst blacks and hispanics clashes with liberal doctrine, but the fact of the matter is, blacks and hispanics have found that their interest align more with the Democrats, who sadly represent the only "left" option in American politics, than the Republicans, who are more openly "right". This is not out of sheer stupidity on their part, and to act as though this is the case amounts to a pretty staggering misrepresentation of the past 40 years of American politics.
You're arguing what's called an ecological fallacy, which means you are applying a couple individuals that you know, to the whole group dynamic which is not true. Small group of individuals do not an accurate statistic make, especially since you're insinuating most minorities are for leftist politics. Yes, they are for portions of it, mostly to do with racial politics and money, it does not mean they endorse the whole spectrum of leftist ideology.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 PM

371 posts, read 393,311 times
Quote:
I think you're the one having trouble "getting it".
Most black people are far from liberal. They vote where the money is- that's it. Blacks and Hispanics and the most religious people in America. I suppose you want to say evangelicals are liberals now?

What city are you from?

I'm sure there might be a "progressive/liberal" city out there with 30%+ black population, but they're likely very rare. I'd actually like to hear the name of one.

I stand by my view that liberalism grows best in the absence of black culture. As seen in the list I posted (the constant exposure to black culture pushes people away from liberalism).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies