Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Have you ever been to Nashville?

Its got a huge alt rock scene right now and an awesome downtown scene.

Its very liberal also, BTW.

Most of the other cities that are on that list are going through economic decline, and Indianapolis has always been a stink hole outside of downtime.
Nashville is "very liberal?" I've always thought of it as a very corporate southern city. It is the capitol of country music and a big Republican stronghold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
In some of those (Minneapolis) for example, the city itself has a larger African American population than the national average, but the suburban portions of the county have less.

Others have slightly less African American population than the nation as a whole, but also have less whites than the country as a whole. For example Denver and Austin are both about 50% white.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:17 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Nashville is "very liberal?" I've always thought of it as a very corporate southern city. It is the capitol of country music and a big Republican stronghold.
Yeah, Al Gore who is a Tennessee native is less than popular in his home town. Wouldn't exactly consider it a "liberal strong hold" lo..

Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times
These "dream cities" are based on the opinion of a small group and I am sure race had very little to do with the results. What is the point? Is this some lame attempt to prove that liberals are racist?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:20 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The suburban areas outside of Nashville are quite Republican. Nashville itself, while I'm not so sure I would say "very liberal" (though pockets Downtown are) is fairly Democratic and liberal. Obama won Davidson County by 21.

Last edited by Smash255; 01-25-2011 at 12:33 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
*Race baiting thread alert*

Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times
Wow, this is some of the laziest research I've ever seen, and this is coming from someone who does think that there are plenty of white liberals who dislike being around minorities.

How do you gauge "dream cities"?

Are the cities you've opposed to liberal dream cities supposed to be conservative dream cities?

What would it look like if you threw away this idealization and looked at the demographics of the most liberal cities vs the demographics of the most conservative cities?

Why do you talk about minorities in general when the graph only charts the African-American population? Are they the only minorities in the United States?

Weak premise, terrible method for reaching a conclusion. This is what happens you've already made up your mind when you conduct the "research".

Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Apparently liberals don't like minorities so much because they can't live in these cities for the mostly part
Ya had to turn it into a troll thread since to my knowledge there haven't been any exemptions granted to the above named cities from compliance with the fair housing or employment portions of the Civil Rights Act 1964...

Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
In some of those (Minneapolis) for example, the city itself has a larger African American population than the national average, but the suburban portions of the county have less.

Others have slightly less African American population than the nation as a whole, but also have less whites than the country as a whole. For example Denver and Austin are both about 50% white.
50% white, 50% Mexican?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Tough in what way? It is a very desirable city and everyone wants to move there/live there. Housing is expensive so many can't afford to but it is certainly not what I would consider a depressed city in any sense of the word.
The job situation is very tough all over Oregon right now, and Portland is no exception. We get posts in the Portland forum on about a weekly (or more) basis from people asking how easy it might to be to move there and find work...most of them seem to think they can just pick up a "survival" type of job until something better comes along. But competition for even those jobs is unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies