Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times

Advertisements

The entire speech was...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
I think that's pretty much the sentiment, except with the obama boot-lickers in the media.

http://blogs.ajc.com/kyle-wingfield/...kyle_wingfield

Really, that is a liberals only answer - spend more or tax more.

Quote:
How do you take seriously a speech in which the president says we will spend more money on educating students, rebuilding our infrastructure and funding research for innovation in alternative energy sources — all while saying we’re not going to spend more money?

How do you take seriously a speech in which the only budgetary dollar figure the president gives is a made-up one — a reduction in spending (even as spending is frozen, remember) as compared only to hypothetical future budgets?
He is so out of touch with reality, with the cause for his "shellacking", just a total disconnect.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
The republicans were not in control of any branch of congress when Obama decided to cut taxes on the wealthy. You are the one who "don't pay attention." The political spin machine defiantly controls your thoughts.
The Republicans filibustered cutting taxes for the bottom 98%, if the top 2% did not get their tax cuts.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
State of the Union Comments #2

We know what it takes to compete for the jobs and industries of our time. We need to out-innovate, out-educate, and out-build the rest of the world. (Applause.) We have to make America the best place on Earth to do business. We need to take responsibility for our deficit and reform our government. That's how our people will prosper. That's how we'll win the future. (Applause.) And tonight, I'd like to talk about how we get there.

To make America the best place on Earth to do business means Obama would have to do an 180 degree about face - 180 derees on the drilling moratorium - 180 degrees on his energy policy - 180 degrees on the health insurance business - 180 degrees on banking policy...

What does "win the future" mean? And how do you know when that is achieved? This is more vague blather. It sounds good, but what really is it?

----------------------------------

Our free enterprise system is what drives innovation. But because it's not always profitable for companies to invest in basic research, throughout our history, our government has provided cutting-edge scientists and inventors with the support that they need. That's what planted the seeds for the Internet. That's what helped make possible things like computer chips and GPS. Just think of all the good jobs -- from manufacturing to retail -- that have come from these breakthroughs.

We'll invest in biomedical research, information technology, and especially clean energy technology -– (applause) -- an investment that will strengthen our security, protect our planet, and create countless new jobs for our people.

OK - that whole section is devoted to the goodness of government - and that IT is the source of jobs and all that is economically good is the country. That is not what this country is about - and our advancement probably would be better if government removed itself from the equation.

By the way - we have no money.

---------------------------------

And to help pay for it, I'm asking Congress to eliminate the billions in taxpayer dollars we currently give to oil companies. (Applause.) I don't know if -- I don't know if you've noticed, but they're doing just fine on their own. (Laughter.) So instead of subsidizing yesterday's energy, let's invest in tomorrow's.

Hey - a point of agreement. Why are we giving money to oil companies? Government should not be subsidizing any company.

Now, clean energy breakthroughs will only translate into clean energy jobs if businesses know there will be a market for what they're selling. So tonight, I challenge you to join me in setting a new goal: By 2035, 80 percent of America's electricity will come from clean energy sources. (Applause.)

This is a biggie. How do you get people to buy into clean energy? Spain has tried the changes and rejected them already. People generally don't want the inconveniences and higher costs clean energy has to offer. Which tells me that his idea is to force the hand of people to buy into clean energy. How? If a business is surviving on government grants, and the government says use these clean energy methods or you don't get your grants, and you will be fined - what is there to do? Who is the master and who is the slave.

The Bible says the borrower is the slave of the lender. Government is doing a lot of lending lately. Beware.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,169 times
Although I did not watch last night, I am sure this clip has it's place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JLbA...eature=related

Old 01-26-2011, 12:05 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
neutered rhetoric

Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 PM

State of the Union #3 (prev. post 289, 294)

We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Super Bowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair. (Applause.)

Good line there - and timely.

-----------------------------

That's why instead of just pouring money into a system that's not working, we launched a competition called Race to the Top. To all 50 states, we said, "If you show us the most innovative plans to improve teacher quality and student achievement, we'll show you the money."

So instead of pouring money into a non-working system, we will pour money into an unproven system. Greeaaat.

Oh - we have no money.

------------------------------

That's why we've ended the unwarranted taxpayer subsidies that went to banks, and used the savings to make college affordable for millions of students. (Applause.) And this year, I ask Congress to go further, and make permanent our tuition tax credit –- worth $10,000 for four years of college. It's the right thing to do. (Applause.)

Ended subsudies to banks? LOL

Tuition tax credit - remember what I said - borrower, lender, slave, master. Colleges need to lower their costs instead of shuffling money around the system.

If we take these steps -– if we raise expectations for every child, and give them the best possible chance at an education, from the day they are born until the last job they take –- we will reach the goal that I set two years ago: By the end of the decade, America will once again have the highest proportion of college graduates in the world. (Applause.)

Is he aware that more and more college graduates cannot find jobs, and are going back to their parents' home with a bunch of debt?

-----------------------------------

Others come here from abroad to study in our colleges and universities. But as soon as they obtain advanced degrees, we send them back home to compete against us. It makes no sense.
And let's stop expelling talented, responsible young people who could be staffing our research labs or starting a new business, who could be further enriching this nation. (Applause.)

Come to the country legally, get into the system, become a citizen, and I will be 100% with these people.

If he knows people will return to their country, why not handle it on the front end before we spend 12+ years educating people here illegally - and save the money?

Geez - only halfway through so far. Seems like government is the answer to our problems from his policy perspective.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:30 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Geez - only halfway through so far. Seems like government is the answer to our problems from his policy perspective.
Uhm, this was a State of the Union address to Congress. It's supposed to be about what government has been doing and is going to do moving forward. If it were a commencement speech at a university and all he talked about was the role government will be taking, you'd have an excellent point that I'd be foolish not to agree with. As a SOTU address? Not so much.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Uhm, this was a State of the Union address to Congress. It's supposed to be about what government has been doing and is going to do moving forward. If it were a commencement speech at a university and all he talked about was the role government will be taking, you'd have an excellent point that I'd be foolish not to agree with. As a SOTU address? Not so much.
A state of the union address from the president should tell us where we are as a country and where he wants to lead the country. It is not a status report of the government.

He doesn't give credit for Americans specifically in going to the moon or creating the internet - it is only when government got involved that these things were achieved. Now that may be the case for the instances he provided. It should not be the norm.

He could have given credit to America as a whole for these successes instead of crediting government.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:42 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think it would be good to hear from the President, what has happened over the last year. Particularly as regards to the Economic Recovery. The Recession is over, for the Banks, Corporations and Wealthy. Those groups have fully recovered. The people that made their recovery possible, have yet to be so lucjky. If the President were to state that and call for the other recovered entities, led by the politicians, to do what the American people deserve. Do everything in their power to facilitate a middle class recovery, not just talk about it, actually do it.
Before he can "actually do it" he has to "actually want it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies