Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,524,876 times

Advertisements

Just in case that genius is still talking to me

View Post Today, 03:02 PM Remove user from ignore list
Nomander This message is hidden because Nomander is on your ignore list.

View Post Today, 03:07 PM Remove user from ignore list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post

This reminds me of how the IPCC operates. Not sure why

Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
This reminds me of how the IPCC operates. Not sure why
Nah. alphamale thinks global warming is BS yet I kind of enjoy his comments. Nomander's, not so much. He's the only one I ignored, not because of his positions, but because he calls people arrogant and cries foul but his retort to every argument is that they are stupid or dumb.

And at some point yesterday, he started using my quotes and talking to everybody like he's Jesus: "you see people, you see?", in a bad attempt to rally internet nobodies against those he disagrees with. This is just lame valley girl behavior.

You can't have a conversation with people like this. Well, maybe you can, but I certainly don't.

And let's be honest, his long-a** replies are just tiresome. Verbose people bore me.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:

And he thinks my responses to his posts are to him. *chuckle*

Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Nomander's, not so much. He's the only one I ignored, not because of his positions, but because he calls people arrogant and cries foul but his retort to every argument is that they are stupid or dumb.
Actually, what he means is that I have not accepted his appeals to authority and his condescending dismissals that somehow we are too stupid to understand the truth. Look back through his "garbage" posts. All they do is tell people they are ignorant of the truth and they should accept the all mighty authority of the administrations and scientists who are trying to sell their pet hypothesis.

He assumes my comments to some of the other posters here are simply attacks without substance, but what he fails to understand is that in the 2+ years that I have been discussing this very topic on this board, I have spent countless pages posting evidence as to why a certain poster is pushing propaganda. He could solve such ignorance, but his arrogance in his position somehow keeps him from using the search feature and seeing that I have already destroyed the arguments of some of those here who keep regurgitating the same link and comments in new threads.

Quote:
And at some point yesterday, he started using my quotes and talking to everybody like he's Jesus: "you see people, you see?", in a bad attempt to rally internet nobodies against those he disagrees with. This is just lame valley girl behavior.
And yes, it upsets the savant that I point out serious flaws in his logic. You know, the constant "Are you a scientist", "You just can't understand what the scientists do!", "There is a consensus!" and all types of other garbage which are simply fallacious responses designed to avoid dealing with the fact that his pet project is flawed.

I point out the "talking point" process he goes through and you can see this exact method applied over and over by the same AGW arguments here. Proclaim some instance, link to an authority, demand conformity to that authority, dismiss objections or questions as not being experts, and accuse those of not agreeing with him as being stupid and confused.

Its a political strategy devoid of any logic and breaks just about every logical argument structure known.

Quote:
You can't have a conversation with people like this. Well, maybe you can, but I certainly don't.
And this is because his responses are in the line of this:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin
The only reason people oppose global warming is because they were told to by whatever reactionary media they're listening or watching. Or perhaps they don't want to feel guilty about their carbon foot print, while they sit in their car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin
I had a similar conversation with an HIV/AIDS denialist the other day and no amount of evidence would make him change his mind. He was simply too cool for us sheeps.
He can't have a discussion with someone who doesn't conform to his percieved ideal. You see, either you accept him as right, or you are wrong and some confused "denialist".

He can't deal with something that actually questions his positions as he isn't here to discuss. If he was, he would be discussing the details of the issue brought up and not simply dismissing them with appeals to authority and excusing all issues by making the accusation that anyone questioning is simply wrongly informed or too stupid to understand.

Quote:
And let's be honest, his long-a** replies are just tiresome. Verbose people bore me.
Another sign of someone who isn't here to discuss, but "educate" people here to their ideology. They aren't interested in reading what you have to say, remember, we are in "denial" and too stupid to understand, we are here to be taught by these glorious savants to the error of our ways and brought to the shining light of their dogma.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
A North Atlantic current flowing into the Arctic Ocean is warmer than for at least 2,000 years in a sign that global warming is likely to bring ice-free seas around the North Pole in summers, a study showed.
The Arctic is heating up twice as fast as the global average as part of a trend the U.N. panel of climate scientists blames on a build-up of greenhouse gases from mankind's use of fossil fuels in power plants, factories and cars.

The shrinking of reflective ice and snow in the Arctic region exposes water or ground which are darker colored and so soak up more heat from the sun, amplifying warming.
Arctic current warmer than for 2,000 years: study | Reuters

Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
A North Atlantic current flowing into the Arctic Ocean is warmer than for at least 2,000 years in a sign that global warming is likely to bring ice-free seas around the North Pole in summers, a study showed.
The Arctic is heating up twice as fast as the global average as part of a trend the U.N. panel of climate scientists blames on a build-up of greenhouse gases from mankind's use of fossil fuels in power plants, factories and cars.

The shrinking of reflective ice and snow in the Arctic region exposes water or ground which are darker colored and so soak up more heat from the sun, amplifying warming.
Arctic current warmer than for 2,000 years: study | Reuters
There are some assumptions that are flawed in that study.

For instance, they say:

Quote:
Air temperatures in Greenland have risen roughly 7 degrees F in the past several decades, thought to be due primarily to an increase in Earth’s greenhouse gases, according to CU-Boulder scientists.
And yet, the stations to which are used to suggest this are stations with strong bias due to urban influence. (look up the locations of the stations used).

That isn't the real problem though, the warming trend they attribute to is non-existent in the RAW data. It is however in the GISS homogenized data.

They make a lot of assumptions based on data that has been adjusted to fit a certain conclusion to suggest the cause. The leaps they make in their conclusions just doesn't sit well with me as they hastily attempt to attribute it to greenhouse gases, but they lack the proper support to make such conclusions.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 AM

15,059 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Sorry guys two data points mean almost nothing. Do you really think that CO2 is the only thing causing variation in the climate? It is the longer trends that matter to see the big picture.

People on both sides like to point out simple examples of events or even seasonal patterns to prove or disprove warming. It is silly. We all know the climate is too complex to point to single storm or even a single winter or summer as "proof." The patterns play out over longer time periods. The CO2 we have put in the atmosphere will warm the Earth just as surely as a down comforter on a bed in your house. Some nights might be colder or warmer for any number of reasons, but it will always be relatively warmer with the comforter than without it. The truth is the effect of greenhouse gas effect is as predictable as gravity. It is atmospheric physics 101. But that does not really control what you might see at any specific location as any specific time.
You are absolutely correct on the first part ... that climate can only be viewed and evaluated over lengthy periods of time, however, you are none the less drowning in the CO2 kool-aide which is a total fraud and backasswards.

Climate is often confused with "weather" cycles. Weather cycles are ALWAYS present, and have been occurring and will continue to occur as a natural process that one can analyze in years and decades which also happen to align perfectly with solar cycles ..... imagine that ... the Sun affects weather ...

Climate, on the other hand must be measured in hundreds and thousands of years, not decades. More importantly, when the data is analyzed for thousands of years, climate too demonstrates cycles ... showing that climate is nothing more than cycles of a longer duration that are not driven by CO2.

I find it altogether baffling that so many ignore the fundamental flaw of the "CO2" Climate change fraud, since it is so elementary. That flaw .... for ten's of thousands of years, ice core records show that atmospheric CO2 levels follow warming and cooling periods .. therefore, CO2 levels are a result of, and not the cause of climate change.

It is totally anti-intuitive, and extremely foolish to continue spouting off about CO2, since CO2 doesn't drive climate, and never has. The reality is, CO2 makes up a small fraction of the "greenhouse gases", and man made CO2 only a small fraction of that tiny amount. Water vapor is the predominate greenhouse gas, and that is what regulates both climate and weather ... and is the natural climate control system of the planet which operates in conjunction with the Sun.

The level of idiocy in the CO2 argument knows no boundaries, as these morons NOW want to claim that warming also causes cooling too. The mind that can rationalize the convenient reversal of cause and effect is indeed a scary thing. This is akin to saying that lighting the fuse of a stick of dynamite will cause it to explode and also not explode. This is a clear symptom of mental illness ... when one's beliefs take precedent over facts and reality.

That reality shows that for hundreds of thousands of years, the only threat climate change has ever posed are periodic Ice Ages ... with no evidence that there has ever been a warming period that was anything but positive in it's effect. All of the available evidence shows that warming periods are extremely positive, facilitating a prosperous expansion of life, and for very obvious reasons ... the warming of previously inhospitable regions of extreme cold allows for more vegetation and the animal life that relies on that vegetation for sustenance. That life in turn provides sustenance for life that relies on it. More vegetation produces more oxygen for life that relies on it ... and the CO2, which is the "oxygen" for vegetation completes this symbiotic cycle of life.

The atmospheric CO2 levels ... contrary to the outward lies and distortions of politically motivated misfits posing as legitimate scientists, fluctuate as a result of long term warming and cooling of the Oceans. As Oceans warm up (over hundreds of years) as a result of a warming cycle ... Oceans release CO2, and atmospheric levels rise correspondingly. And during cooling periods, (hundreds of years) the Oceans begin to cool and consequently are able to absorb and retain more CO2, reducing atmospheric levels. This is the fact based science which is well understood by those not driven by politics.

Consequently, Anthropogenic Global Warming is a total, unadulterated fraud that relies not on climate science, but on human psychology which is also well understood .... that is ... tell a lie often enough, and continue telling it, until it becomes the truth ... or more appropriately ... is accepted as the truth.

It is NOT the truth. The truth is, in regions that have 4 distinct seasons ... Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter .... when do you plant your gardens and crops? When do you harvest them? And why do you rely on regions like California and Florida for you morning orange juice? And if this analogy doesn't wake you up .... picture yourself holed up in your snowed in cabin ... huddled around a fireplace to keep warm, and eating the canned vegetables you jarred in the fall .... now picture yourself on a warm sunny day, gathering those vegetables in preparation for the approaching fall and winter .... or ... relaxing on the beach and watching all of the happy outdoor activities taking place around you ... swimming, surfing, fishing, and children making sand castles.

It's really not much more complicated than this to understand the overall positive benefits of warming trends ... but if you want to allow a bunch of liars and misfits to convince you to sit around your cabin fireplace praying that spring and summer never arrive .... you'd better have a lot of canned vegetables and firewood.

That might make perfect sense to you ... but it sounds rather absurd to me.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
And he thinks my responses to his posts are to him. *chuckle*
I have found the people who have me ignore do so because of their failure to be able to deal with facts. when presented with facts they first will attack you then ignore you because they can not deal with it.

I say there enough new ice to throw a Margarita party

Old 01-28-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I have found the people who have me ignore do so because of their failure to be able to deal with facts. when presented with facts they first will attack you then ignore you because they can not deal with it.
That's an argument Truthers and people who question moon landings use. There is a reason why authorities on any given subject do not give denialist the satisfaction of a 'debate'. It's because it is ultimately futile. They will deny no matter what and it gives them a platform.

What evidence has this dude provided anyway? All he says is that global warming is garbage. That's quite the argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies