Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your estimate for 4Q GDP growth?
Less than 0% 0 0%
0.1%-1% 1 4.76%
1.1%-2% 2 9.52%
2.1%-3% 12 57.14%
3.1%-4% 4 19.05%
4.1%-5% 1 4.76%
5% or More 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
I am not talking about raising the minimum wage that high as a joke.
That's too bad - it made a lot more sense as a joke...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 05:48 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,824 times
Japan's two lost decades: An end to the Japanese lesson | The Economist This article has something to say about how long Bubble popping can take. If you want to get the pain over quickly then you need income to support asset prices. Upping minimum wage is the single most effective way of doing this.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
That's too bad - it made a lot more sense as a joke...
Japan's two lost decades: An end to the Japanese lesson | The Economist Read this article it is sad and we are headed the same direction as they are.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:13 PM
C.C

Quote:
Japan's two lost decades: An end to the Japanese lesson | The Economist Read this article it is sad and we are headed the same direction as they are.
Ah, if only they had raised their minimum wage 10X, their problems would have ended by 1991. I guess those Japanese aren't as smart as we thought...

Old 01-29-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Ah, if only they had raised their minimum wage 10X, their problems would have ended by 1991. I guess those Japanese aren't as smart as we thought...
That is about the long and the short of it. (8x is about what they would have needed, their housing bubble was twice as big as ours) They tried printing money and government spending and it took 20 years and more to get over their bubble. They have had no economic growth for about 20 years. If you want economic growth you need to balance debt and income. Upping income is the less painful way of getting balance restored.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Quote:
The housing bubble is a big drag on the economy. That one thing in my opinion will take a long time to undo. Until it is undone the economy will suck. Don't be confused by having another bubble. It will still suck even with another bubble.

The short quick fix is to up minimum wage to $30/hr.
//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...ecovery-7.html

Just a conversation we had on the business board. You may find it interesting.

As for me the housing issue is a concern for sure. It going to take awhile to clear it all out especially considering we still have resets this year and the next. But housing is not the end all be all of the economy.

Really to me the lynch pin to a better economy at this point is creating jobs/or business hiring for jobs that have the capacity/demand for it. There is liquidity out there. Even with stricter lending rules. So really to me it a lack of confidence on the part of companies to hire folk because they are still nervous about the environment for business. Which with this last report may ease the mind of some of those companies. I think once we start whittling down the unemployment rate overall the American consumer while still cautious will start spending again (we will buy with less debt this time around, I think). Which will allow for things to right themselves. And while I don't think we will ever achieve the heights we had from let say 1990 to 2006 we will stabilize to something that will be comfortable enough for us to deal with. My guess this will all take place by the end of this decade perhaps a tad earlier. But it just a guesstimate.

But I will also say that your right about the bubble business I'm starting to get concerned about certain commodities out there that are starting to run at all time highs. We'll have to see where this goes.

Quote:
That is about the long and the short of it. (8x is about what they would have needed, their housing bubble was twice as big as ours) They tried printing money and government spending and it took 20 years and more to get over their bubble. They have had no economic growth for about 20 years. If you want economic growth you need to balance debt and income. Upping income is the less painful way of getting balance restored.
I understand your point. But do we have the political will at this point to do this? I have my doubts.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...ecovery-7.html

Just a conversation we had on the business board. You may find it interesting.

As for me the housing issue is a concern for sure. It going to take awhile to clear it all out especially considering we still have resets this year and the next. But housing is not the end all be all of the economy.
I didn’t get to the bottom of the link yet I will keep on it tho.

Quote:
Really to me the lynch pin to a better economy at this point is creating jobs/or business hiring for jobs that have the capacity/demand for it. There is liquidity out there. Even with stricter lending rules.
The problem is debt to income ratio. There is plenty of money to lend but not enough people that are out of debt far enough to barrow more money.
Quote:
So really to me it a lack of confidence on the part of companies to hire folk because they are still nervous about the environment for business.
The environment for business sucks because of the collapsing debt bubble.
Quote:
Which with this last report may ease the mind of some of those companies. I think once we start whittling down the unemployment rate overall the American consumer while still cautious will start spending again (we will buy with less debt this time around, I think).
The problem gets to be that to keep spending without manufacturing jobs or high value added jobs then you need more debt. Outsourcing and supply side economics drove the debt bubble. It did this by the necessity of having to loan out the money to run the economy instead of paying wages to run the economy.
Quote:
Which will allow for things to right themselves. And while I don't think we will ever achieve the heights we had from let say 1990 to 2006 we will stabilize to something that will be comfortable enough for us to deal with. My guess this will all take place by the end of this decade perhaps a tad earlier. But it just a guesstimate.
With a housing bubble ½ the size of Japan’s it should take ½ the time to recover.
Quote:

But I will also say that your right about the bubble business I'm starting to get concerned about certain commodities out there that are starting to run at all time highs. We'll have to see where this goes.
I understand your point. But do we have the political will at this point to do this? I have my doubts.
Are you saying that can we sell the plutocracy on it? They made a lot of paper money on the bubbles. Upping minimum wage would require them to admit that their gains were paper and not real. Reality will bit them on the but one way or another.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM
C.C

Default "Surprise" 4Q10 GDP downward revision to 2.8%

Fourth-quarter growth revised down to 2.8 percent - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fourthquarter-growth-revised-rb-3911888706.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset= &ccode= - broken link)

So less momentum than first thought, and now we have sharply higher energy prices added to the mix along with still-deteriorating housing conditions. If the high hopes for next week's Feb unemployment report don't pan out we could be right back where we were 6 months ago...

Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Fourth-quarter growth revised down to 2.8 percent - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fourthquarter-growth-revised-rb-3911888706.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset= &ccode= - broken link)

So less momentum than first thought, and now we have sharply higher energy prices added to the mix along with still-deteriorating housing conditions. If the high hopes for next week's Feb unemployment report don't pan out we could be right back where we were 6 months ago...

Not to mention much higher cost of commodities.

This is not going to be pretty.

Especially when Saudi Arabia goes into turmoil, mid March.
Fuel will jump up past $6 a gallon and go to $10 a gallon quickly.

Then what?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Not to mention much higher cost of commodities.

This is not going to be pretty.

Especially when Saudi Arabia goes into turmoil, mid March.
Fuel will jump up past $6 a gallon and go to $10 a gallon quickly.

Then what?
double dip here we come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies