Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:06 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How many classes did you take? If you have an 8 period day 4 years gets you 32. Did you have 10 classes a day? If so, how long were they?
I took AP classes - counted for 2 instead of 1. By the end of my junior year I had 33 credits, but was still lacking a mandatory one for senior lit/english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 01:11 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Another thing kids need to learn is resilience. When you screw up, dust your self off and get back at it.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Perhaps our society should realize that not everyone can be a brain surgeon.

Some are ditch diggers.
So true. Not everyone will or should go to college. It was the factory and infrastructure jobs that sustained America in the past - not Joe College.

We have so many college grads now with high student loan debt and no jobs in their chosen fields. Obama stated we need more science and math teachers, but the jobs in the science fields, and teaching in those fields, will still leave many in the cold - for it's certain - glut in those markets occur and no one is doing anyone a favor by
pushing kids into fields that they probably never should have pursued in the first place.

No Math Teacher Shortage, Study Says - X=Why? - A year re-living high school math with Michael Alison Chandler

“I admit I’m being heretical,” said Richard M. Ingersoll, a professor of education and sociology at the university. “But it’s not that we’re producing too few math and science teachers. It’s that we’re losing too many.”

Mr. Ingersoll and his research partner, David Perda, calculate that colleges and universities are producing 2½ times more math and science teachers than schools require to replace those who are retiring.

The findings are important, Mr. Ingersoll said, because they suggest that national efforts aimed at expanding the pipeline of new math and science teachers are misdirected. If policymakers really want to ensure that those subjects are being taught by skilled teachers, he said, they ought to focus on retaining the much larger pool of science and math teachers who are already in schools.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:37 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Not surprising. Especially considering that the 11th & 12th grades are a waste of time. Kids are bored and they need to either move on to college, vocational, or tech school at the end of their 10th year.
The 11th and 12th grades should be for making up what you missed and remedial for those who need it. Send the rest, even part time, to community college where they don't end up repeating the dummned down version of the same class. I figure I wasted a good many hours way back when doing the same thing. If I could have taken college courses then instead of high school, I could have moved on past my AA a year sooner and maybe would have gotten the BA I still want.

The alternative is to make jr. high a year longer. Do the catch up as much as possible there so there is less "remedial" stuff to be done and the classes at high school level are made equal to Freshman college level so they could transfer.

There is no need to repeat a class if the classes are taught right, and just maybe more bright students who are just bored would stay interested. And just think of the money they could save either on the highschool or community college level.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:08 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
My ex had a Ph. D. and she was a ditch digger (archeologist).
They dig to slow....

Old 01-26-2011, 02:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i just heard that now in obama's state of the union. watching from my dvr
I bet you could find current statistics in several different places on the internets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies