Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

I didn't watch the SOTU last night because I was busy watching an important college basketball game and knew I could learn about the speech by reading today. Here is the way I learned what Obama said much more humorously written than his speech writer could write it.

Of course, many here won't manage to read much of this one because there is just too much truth in it as to what he said and other things.

Hope, Change, and 'Invest' - HUMAN EVENTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i just hope that if obama ultimately gets his way, that we the people have enough change to invest in our futures.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
You are not alone. I don't think 75% of Americans care what the empty suit has to say. Empty promises is all you will hear.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
I'm glad conservative thought wasn't en vogue when NASA was created or when the Internet was being developed or when the interstate highway system was created or when the trans continental railroad was built or when the GI bill was passed or...

Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm glad conservative thought wasn't en vogue when NASA was created or when the Internet was being developed or when the interstate highway system was created or when the trans continental railroad was built or when the GI bill was passed or...
Huh?

A Republican president was in office for the start of building the trans-continental railroad (1863.)
The building of the interstate highway system was funded and put into full swing (1956), and NASA was created under a Republican president (1958.)
While the "internet" was developed over many decades while presidents of both parties were in office, it started under ARPA (1958), which, you guessed it, was started under a Republican president. The G.I. bill was started under a Democrat (1944.)
You need to fact check your statements before making them. You are 1 for 5 in your post.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 01-26-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 PM

764 posts, read 1,556,986 times
Quote:
Conservatives are hypocrites for sure, which is why more are moving towards libertarianism.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Are you glad that Obama changed the focus of NASA to have its number one priority be helping Muslim countries feel good about themselves? Because afterall, there is no way the United States could manage any kind of noteworthy space exploration as a country on its own. (I'm kind of glad Kennedy didn't feel that way.)

Former NASA Director Says Muslim Outreach Push 'Deeply Flawed' - FoxNews.com

Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I didn't watch the SOTU last night because I was busy watching an important college basketball game and knew I could learn about the speech by reading today. Here is the way I learned what Obama said much more humorously written than his speech writer could write it.

Of course, many here won't manage to read much of this one because there is just too much truth in it as to what he said and other things.

Hope, Change, and 'Invest' - HUMAN EVENTS
You didn't miss a damn thing. He's so full of it he makes no sense.

Obamaspeak for "investing" means shoveling more tax dollars into existing half-assed federally funded programs without fixing the existing issues within those programs FIRST.

The man obviously has never owned his own business, has no business sense and should stop *****-footing/wordsmithing around what the real deal is.

He was campaigning -yet again.

He has no REAL solution for anything. All talk, all "feel-good" BS.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:26 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Lightbulb Hope, Change and "Invest"

Well, looks like it's up to me to be the voice of reason and explain the "investing."

We've watched China surge forward over the past twenty years while we've lost ground. The Chinese have been building infrastructure while ours has gone to seed. The Chinese (and Japanese, Koreans, and Europeans) have built extensive networks of high speed railways in their countires. We have none.

If America is going to get serious about being competitive in the future, we DO have to invest in the basics that will make it happen.

Our rail system, electrical grid, many city water/sewer systems, and heavily travelled highways have been neglected for three decades and they're showing the wear and tear.

We can let them go to h*ll and keep slipping further behind our competitors or we can do something about it.

I agree with thepresident: it will be better for America to get these things updated and repaired.

Bush spent us into the biggest deficit in history and yet he did nothing about these issues. Kinda makes you wonder what he spent all that money on, doesn't it?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Conservatives are hypocrites for sure, which is why more are moving towards libertarianism.
Dude, so are liberals.

What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies