Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No, joining the military is a CHOICE.
Mostly for people who can't get jobs, skills, etc on the outside.
Not one citizen is more important than any other citizen.

I'm a vet and it's nothing special.
I joined for my own personal reasons, as does everyone who wasn't drafted.

I'm sure this happens to many non-vets, too.
The vet focus was a disingenuous emotional line used to pull in readers to be outraged.
1. Yes, joining the military is a choice. I was almost 23, and had a career in automobile mechanics and racing. I joined as an Engineman and went into Submarine Service, because I thought it was the right thing to do.

2. Most of the people I worked with didn't need to join the military for a job, they joined because they either felt as I did, or did so for the education in Nuclear power, or advanced electronics.

3. I think the title of the article was two fold, to bring attention to the article, AND the fact that a person, who for whatever reason volunteered his life, is now in this situation.

Lastly, while you may feel that being a vet isn't something special, for many it is. It's a sign that for whatever reason, they were willing to give their lives so that others could live in freedom. Whether they needed it as a job, or desired it for the training, or just felt it was the right thing to do, it takes a certain amount of effort to make it through basic, and then move up in the ranks and become someone.

I can proudly say, I was on the commissioning crew of the first 688 class fast attack submarine with operation vertical launch tomahawk capability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I'm always amazed how people who want private only insurance complain when they see the end results of their choice.

This guy went to war and was willing to give his life for this country, which is more then I can say for most. If people want to drop him over 2 pennies, it shows the honor and integrity we treat each other with now.
Since his war was Nam, he was forced into serving, most likely.
But why is he more special than any other citizen?
He's not.

This shouldn't happen to any US citizen.

Or are you saying that it's okay if it happens to regular people, but not vets?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 AM

256 posts, read 216,258 times
Quote:
He's not.

While I agree with what you are saying, it is your posts pointing out your position that has moved this thread from being upset about the indecent behavior of insurance companies to the relative worth of vets vs. non-vets.

Wasn't the health care legislation designed to prevent this type of thing from happening?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
While I agree with what you are saying, it is your posts pointing out your position that has moved this thread from being upset about the indecent behavior of insurance companies to the relative worth of vets vs. non-vets.

Wasn't the health care legislation designed to prevent this type of thing from happening?

The health care legislation that so many are against?
I do find it quite objectional that this happens to people every day and the only time it's noted at all is when it's emotionalized.

Everyone deserves health care, not just vets.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:

During the Vietnam era the choices were military, Canada, jail. A bit limited IMO.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 AM

256 posts, read 216,258 times
Quote:
The health care legislation that so many are against?
I do find it quite objectional that this happens to people every day and the only time it's noted at all is when it's emotionalized.

Everyone deserves health care, not just vets.
Nevertheless, it is often the case that a lamentable situation is brought to the nation's attention because a member of a "preferred group" (vet, disabled, etc.) has been disadvantaged. Yes, it is an emotional response. In many cases, it results in legislation to correct the situation. This can be a good thing.

On the negative side, emotional legislation frequently is rather knee-jerk and is not always well thought out.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 AM

54 posts, read 190,019 times
Quote:

I'm a vet and it's nothing special.
I joined for my own personal reasons, as does everyone who wasn't drafted.

I'm sure this happens to many non-vets, too.
The vet focus was a disingenuous emotional line used to pull in readers to be outraged.

So what were your reasons?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
hey without those 2 cents, private insurers can't be as efficient or competitive, or something like that.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Yes, it sucks, but my question is:

Why do people think that vets are more important?
Isn't this just as important for someone who isn't a vet?
Veterans are more important because they freely face great danger and give up large portions of their lives to fight for a country full of people like you who just don't understand.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Quote:
He's not.

It is not okay for it to happen to anyone.

I also hold Vets in esteem for their service. It's easier to work while saying one is living for the service of others, which is still good, but few people are willing to stand up and get shot at and maybe die in the service of others (including cops, firefighters, emergency personnel, etc...). I'm actually very surprised it needs to be explained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies