Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Keith Olberman? Except without the wit, style or looks of Palin.
Careful, Keith may well be elected Senator from Connecticut in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Casper
So the left is going to turn a spotlight on Palin to make sure everyone knows what her opinions are about democrats and 0bama? Wow, that kind of free attention is priceless.

Not everything Palin says is nonsense, and some of well spoken criticisms of 0bama and democrats that she says will resonate with voters, and be remembered.

Palin is is just one person, a lone voice out there, and people don't view her as a spokesman for the republican party. But then we have dozens of prominent people from the democratic party savaging her, and as such a large group, they do end up reflecting badly on the democrats. In other words, Palin reflects on Palin, but dozens and dozens of liberals and democrats attacking her, reflects on the entire democratic party.

When Palin speaks people see her as one individual, and they will comment "Did you hear what Palin said?" But when dozens of prominent democrats attack her at the same time, people will say "Did you hear what the democrats are saying about Palin?" So when the verbal assaults against Palin are over the top, disgusting, uncalled for, vicious, nasty and vile, it's "the democrats" who are blamed for doing it.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:01 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So the left is going to turn a spotlight on Palin to make sure everyone knows what her opinions are about democrats and 0bama? Wow, that kind of free attention is priceless.

Not everything Palin says is nonsense, and some of what she says will resonate with voters, and be remembered.

Palin is is just one person, a lone voice out there, and people don't view her as a spokesman for the republican party. But then we have dozens of prominent people from the democratic party savaging her, and as such a large group, they do end up reflecting badly on the democrats. In other words, Palin reflects on Palin, but dozens and dozens of liberals and democrats attacking her, reflects on the entire democratic party.

When Palin speaks people see her as one individual, and they will comment "Did you hear what Palin said?" But when dozens of prominent democrats attack her at the same time, people will say "Did you hear what the democrats are saying about Palin?" So when the verbal assaults against Palin are over the top, disgusting, uncalled for, vicious, nasty and vile, it's "the democrats" who are blamed for doing it.
Very well said!

I truly do not understand how the democrats do not see that their actions and words are the main force behind all the publicity Sarah receives. They increase her ratings far more than anything else.

I am not a huge Sarah Palin fan, but I do like the way she speaks her mind without being vulgar, crude and classless. She gets under the skin of the democrats and they attack her with such viciousness it really paints them in a bad light.

Again, how do they not see this?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
"I am not a huge Sarah Palin fan, but I do like the way she speaks her mind without being vulgar, crude and classless. She gets under the skin of the democrats and they attack her with such viciousness it really paints them in a bad light."

I would say by and large many of her remarks would fall into the categories you describe.

I hope she runs in 2012 and gets the Republican nomination. An Obama/Palin debate would result in classic comedy. Do you remember when she "debated" Joe Biden?

Democrats don't need to address her. She speaks to a large, but non-majority conservative base in this country, and her words will do her in eventually. Still, I have to give her credit. She sure gets a lot of attention for only having served a half term as governor of a low population state. And she makes a ton of money giving speeches and using a national cable network as her voice box.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

Not everything Palin says is nonsense, and some of well spoken criticisms of 0bama and democrats that she says will resonate with voters, and be remembered.

I think the R's are starting to do their own job of savaging her--at least I hope--I watched an interview with David Frum last night (former economic speech writer for Bush) where he basically rolled his eyes every time she was mentioned, and talked about how the R's giving her the spotlight helped them blow a perfect opportunity to offer an intelligent counter to the President. She's an embarrassment to the R party.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
She is an embarrassment to the GOP, but we must endeavor to keep her in the limelight of Repub politics.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't think anyone fears her--it's more being absolutely dumbfounded that the R leadership don't completely discount her--and they don't. They let her be a player because they're afraid of ticking off her far right base of followers because they know they need them to win an election, even when THEY know she hurts them as much as helps them. Nobody would care about Sarah Palin if the R's grew some...appendages....and shut her down. They don't, so here we are. You can whine about "liberal" obsession with her, but she's a conservative media phenomena.
All polling indicates that she hurts far more than helps. Whatever role she plays as a Glenn Beck-style cheerleader for the extreme right is more than offset by how many independents, moderates, and liberals she's pushed away.

Even in the 08 election, as people began to learn how ignorant she is, they turned on McCain in droves. If McCain hadn't been forced to pick her to fill a gender quota and could have rather chosen his top pick of Lieberman, we may well be looking at a different president. Probably not, though, since he also pandered to the far right and lost the backbone that made him so popular to begin with.

As primary contests heat up, I think you'll see more Republicans calling her for what she is. It's already started to happen.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,661 times
Palin has been abused by everything the left can throw at her and she has the guts to meet it head up. The average John Doe sees this and loves a fighter, this is what scares the liberals to death, they see people actually listening to Palin and that is the problem for them.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
I'll agree with you about the people being the backbone and all the needless regulations, anyone else but not Joe the plumber.
Total sidebar, but I really like your signature: "A gun is as good or bad as the man using it."

That really sums up the need for compromise from both sides on the gun debate: We need enough liberties for those who use guns wisely to have that freedom and enough controls / regulations to protect as many people as possible from those who use them badly.

Anyway - well said!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
Palin has been abused by everything the left can throw at her and she has the guts to meet it head up. The average John Doe sees this and loves a fighter, this is what scares the liberals to death, they see people actually listening to Palin and that is the problem for them.
I don't think you realize that nobody's scared of Palin. That's a myth that's emerged to try and justify the negative reaction to her from independents, moderates, and liberals, but the reality is that people see her as a joke. The only "fear" is the baffling realization that a reality TV sensation so naive about the world could possibly have aspirations to our highest office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies