Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ??
Yes 23 18.85%
No 79 64.75%
Dunno 20 16.39%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:55 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

Learning is not fun when you are being mocked or harassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Most blacks I've met seem to have an almost genetic preference for fun over learning. As if they're saying learning isn't fun. Nothing could be further from the truth. The ones I've met who've claimed to love learning are closet "learn to earn" types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times
Quote:
Your twisting my words. I am saying kids need to develop a TRUE love for learning early in life. A TRUE love, so that they see through the flawed philosophy of "learn to earn".
These are meaningless platitudes. The point is that it's extremely difficult to love to learn when your school is a POS that isn't concerned about instilling you with a basic foundational education, much less a love for learning.

I loved to learn, and then I was sent to a neighborhood in a poor area where the teachers stopped caring. Despite my parents' best efforts, I stopped caring as well, because it was clear that I wasn't going to learn anything when our teachers quit every week.

In the end I got insanely lucky and won an academic contest that allowed me to transfer to a different school in a wealthier neighborhood, where the students actually graduated and it took me a while to regain my interest in learning. Kids respond to the conditions they come up in, and to blame kids for not valuing education when you put them in valueless schools is inane to me.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
My response: No.

They would stand a better chance, however, if we took the ideas out of Thomas Paine's "Agrarian Justice", where everybody starts on equal footing and goes from there. In the way the society is set up, it is easier for a rich to go bankrupt than for a poor, less resourceful, to become rich.

Likewise, I could make an argument that the Caucasian/White populace can't catch up to Asian populace economically.

I agree most blacks will never catch up to most whites because a large percentage of black kids still go to some of the worst public schools in the country. Once their opportunity to get a good start in school is missed, they'll likely never catch up. The charter school in my mostly white neighborhood has a student body that is roughly half white and half black. The parents of these black kids go to the trouble to bring them to this particular school because they care about their eductaion and want them to succeed. I expect they will.

Of course the MEA hates this school and it wouldn't exist if they had their way because the staff doesn't belong to a union. Get rid of teachers unions and you'll do more to solve racial inequality than anything else.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Whites hate equality and fairness. Minorities will never be equal to whites in this country.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The last time I checked sports and entertainment were equal opportunity for all races and any ethnicity.
Last time I checked, no matter the color of the applicant, there's a staggering rejection rate in those industries for people trying to get in. I guess you're unaware of the hilarious American Idol "fail" auditions

Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Learning is not fun when you are being mocked or harassed.
That's my point. Thomas Sowell (a black erudite) has written about it.

Quote:
Whites hate equality and fairness.
Unfair statement and pretty vile to boot

Old 01-28-2011, 12:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Most blacks I've met seem to have an almost genetic preference for fun over learning. As if they're saying learning isn't fun. Nothing could be further from the truth. The ones I've met who've claimed to love learning are "closet" "learn to earn" types. This is based on my experiences with them.
LOL....this might be the most ridiculous thing that i've ever read. "Closet learn to earn" types."

Okaaaaaaaay!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:06 PM

I do not think it is unfair. Tim Wise (a white researcher) found that during the civil rights movement most whites surveyed believed that minorities were treated fairly and with equality. That shows how obtuse they are.

Thomas Sowell can be a useless product of political indoctrination (i.e., a shill). So what exactly is your point?
In one of Thomas Sowell's book he stated that homosexuality was wrong; like riding a bicycle down the wrong way of the street wrong. lol. Talk about a BS analysis.

But I will say that his comments on gender bias are correct. He stated that it appeared that females earned less because they were actually taking care of the kids and did not earn the income in those years.

Quote:
That's my point. Thomas Sowell (a black erudite) has written about it.

Unfair statement and pretty vile to boot

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-28-2011 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL....this might be the most ridiculous thing that i've ever read. "Closet learn to earn" types."

Okaaaaaaaay!
"Closet" because they're relcutant to admit they "wanna get dat degree to get dat fat paycheck".

Acknowledging a problem exists is Step One.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Thomas Sowell is a useless product of indoctrination.
Just because YOU say he is, doesn't make him so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies