Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
If we're truly about tolerance, this article shouldn't have 22+ pages discussing it. They are free as a private company to do what they want. Can we not tolerate them even if they disagree with us?
Tolerance is defined to now mean submitting to a viewpoint you do not like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I would honestly like to see what their response would be if we requested "free food" for a gay organization. Many years ago, I asked a local FF restaurant in my home town to donate free food for some of the homecoming decorating volunteers in my high school. They willingly did this. I just consider it to be good business. But the companies should be fair and donate to ALL>bottom line.
A few years back, our local grocery store monopoly (HEB) donated a measly $300 worth of groceries to a local gay org for its annual gay pride celebration. You should have seen the boycotting action and picketing that ensued by the holy rollers and bible thumpers here in SA. I don't know if they have donated since.
A business has the right to support who and what they want to support..

Just as you are doing here on CD by telling everyone that you will not eat a Chick-fil-A.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Data from the 2000 US Census :

45.6 percent of married heterosexual partners are raising children
43.1 percent of unmarried heterosexual partners are raising children
34.3 percent of lesbian couples are raising children
22.3 percent of male gay couples are raising children
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Those poor children.
Yes I know. Of course most of those heterosexual parents aren't abusing and neglecting their children, but sadly, many do.

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Did you read the news article? Did you read any of the postings below it? It's just too common nowadays. People whine about "tolerance" when really what's expected is conformity to their viewpoints. If we're truly about tolerance, this article shouldn't have 22+ pages discussing it. They are free as a private company to do what they want. Can we not tolerate them even if they disagree with us?
Sure, why not? I tolerate every business, and don't even know where 99% of them stand on the various issues. I think this thread is 24 pages long for another reason, which has nothing to do with Chick-Fil-A specifically... it just turned into yet another "gay is fine" "no it's not!" debate by like page 2.

P.S. I didn't read the article's comments, so I can't say what they were pushing for exactly. Do they think the restaurant should be forced into changing things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I said it wasn't directed at one side over the other... so yes, I do realize that.

As for me personally, I've maintained pretty much the same stance - private businesses can do as they please, and we can either buy their products or not. I also said I don't care about a business' political or religious views, and shop where I want regardless. So no hypocrisy there!
But your responses have been mainly to people that support Chik Fil A....

You don't seem to be telling the ones upset over this slight to their gayhood to calm down.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
But your responses have been mainly to people that support Chik Fil A....

You don't seem to be telling the ones upset over this slight to their gayhood to calm down.
Gay people - calm down, it's just a chicken restaurant! There, is that better?

Seriously though, I do see the hypocrisy on both sides, especially living in a town with a VERY vocal gay population. But the reason I'm more sympathetic to the "pro gay" side isn't just about my feelings (especially considering I am straight), it's about the implications & results of each opinion... I would delve into that further, but I think we already have enough gay rights debates on here.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Gay people - calm down, it's just a chicken restaurant! There, is that better?
NO!!!
Louder and with FEELING.

Quote:
Seriously though, I do see the hypocrisy on both sides, especially living in a town with a VERY vocal gay population. But the reason I'm more sympathetic to the "pro gay" side isn't just about my feelings (especially considering I am straight), it's about the implications & results of each opinion... I would delve into that further, but I think we already have enough gay rights debates on here.
Having been around gays most of my life,I guess I see their hypocrisy more.

It is a little amusing when gays run down others...they don't see their own intolerance.
Funniest was how the gay guy I worked for would go on about lesbians....

Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
NO!!!
Louder and with FEELING.
Sorry... it's too late (early?) for yelling any louder.

Quote:
Having been around gays most of my life,I guess I see their hypocrisy more.
I've also been around the gay community for most of my life... and yes, they can be hypocritical too, like any human being. I just don't see much hate coming from them, when I see it all too often from the "anti" side. And yes, I mean actual hate - not just boycotting a company or saying you have Christian values.

My (unofficially) adopted brother is gay, so I watched him grow up dealing with this, and it always hurt my heart. He is such a wonderful person, and doesn't deserve being called horrible names by strangers. He also happens to be Black, and gets more hurt by the homophobia than the racism he's experienced.

Quote:
It is a little amusing when gays run down others...they don't see their own intolerance.
Funniest was how the gay guy I worked for would go on about lesbians....
I don't think anyone can see when they're being intolerant, though... even Neo-Nazis try to justify their behavior, and claim they just have "pride in their culture."

But as for the lesbian bashing, I have actually heard that from a few gay men - my old roommate used to say he was scared of lesbians, and constantly made Bernal Hill jokes (it's like the Castro for lesbians). He wasn't really hateful about it, but explained his feelings in a manner I can't repeat... it's not very PG-13, if you get my drift.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,912 times
I haven't frequented Chick-fil-a much in the past but if the statement posted is true that's going to change. In other words, good for them!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
OMG! People are upset about a freaking doritos commercial, they are upset about chick fil a, get a grip.

I am dif than you, you are dif from me. celebrate diversity. I can accept there will be things you disagree with me on, and things I don't agree with, that you find ok. BIG DEAL. Move forward.

We have people showing total intolerance and teaching their kids to be bigot's. (Yes, you can say you are standing up for what you think they are doing wrong, but the other side to the coin is, you are as intolerant of their activities as they are of someone elses, and to act upon it is in itself intolerant and bigoted.)

They sell chicken sandwiches. Who cares what the owner/ceo believes or cares about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies