Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,965,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Yes it will. Here is an example of how I think the gays should picket this bigoted corporation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9gbQKwOh68
Hilarious. I saw the heads of one of my friends. These pix were taken at the San Diego Pride Parade. It's a small world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,928,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm not sure how you're interpreting the 14th amendment that way. There is no specific reference to either race or gender in the 14th amendment. The equal protection clause of the 14th amendment simply says "citizen" when talking about denying the rights of citizenship, and "person" when talking about the equal application of laws.
Constitution lesson. No you are correct. However, The 14th Amendment gives congress the power to establish laws to provide equal protection. One such law that was created by the power to congress given under the 14th Amendment was title VII. Protected class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . There have been no federal laws that provide sexual orientation to be a protected class, although they could under the 14th. Some states have.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,521,422 times
Eat More Chickin.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,878,280 times
Finally you are making sense. And let's not forget the declaration of independence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm not sure how you're interpreting the 14th amendment that way. There is no specific reference to either race or gender in the 14th amendment. The equal protection clause of the 14th amendment simply says "citizen" when talking about denying the rights of citizenship, and "person" when talking about the equal application of laws.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,965,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
No, actually not true. You will have to define "protected". Discrimination can't be based on race or gender under the 14th amendment so in certain cases a person is "protected" from Discrimination.

I am sure you can win a case for discriminating against a class of people, but being gay is not a "protected class" like race. This is the subject of much litigation but that is currently the interpretation of the Supreme court.
I don't believe that it is explicitly stated in the Constitution, but is part of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which forbids discrimination in public accommodations, work,etc based on certain classes of people. Sexual orientation is NOT one of them and is NOT a protected class in most states. It is in about 20 or so of them (the more civilized ones). The "due process" clause of the 14th is interpreted in so many ways depending on who you are talking to. Most if not all arguments concerning equal treatment under the law for gays and lesbians are partially based on the 14th Amend to the Const.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:41 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,878,280 times
It violates the first amendment, too: freedom of expression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't believe that it is explicitly stated in the Constitution, but is part of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which forbids discrimination in public accommodations, work,etc based on certain classes of people. Sexual orientation is NOT one of them and is NOT a protected class in most states. It is in about 20 or so of them (the more civilized ones). The "due process" clause of the 14th is interpreted in so many ways depending on who you are talking to. Most if not all arguments concerning equal treatment under the law for gays and lesbians are partially based on the 14th Amend to the Const.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,582,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Obviously it is not the only way. But sorry, I do believe it is the ideal way. Having a mom and a dad for a child, living under the same roof with love has got to be the safest, most healthy way for a child.

And yes, it is the way that God intended it to be. I know the atheists will start their attacks, and putting down believers, but if you believe in God then their is really no argument to this.
I think the ideal way is to have loving parents who supports their children and raises them as well as they possibly can, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

Life isn't perfect and there are far too many children out there that are in need of loving parents and yes, some of the couples will be gay. As long as they provide a loving home environment why should we discriminate?

As for the 'god' comments...that's great. If I were to have a belief in a god, they would be an all loving god that doesn't discriminate and wants his/her creations to be happy regardless of who they love

Old 01-28-2011, 12:04 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,910,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Can't have opposing views I guess....it is all about tolerance.

Tolerance of views that conform.

Funny thing is,most of you don't see your own intolerance.

But hypocrisy is pretty commonplace.
yeah I know. this is the common view of you righties, that the left is intolerant because they aren't willing to tolerate your intolerance...
get real....

Old 01-28-2011, 12:08 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,910,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Not protected under the Constitution. States can grant greater protections, but they can't give less.
yes homosexuality is a protected class under STATE constitutions, State constitutions can go above and beyond what the federal constitution states. In fact here in idaho, they are voting this session whether to make sexual orientation a protected class as well. I live in Boise in a district where my state representative is a lesbian.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM

20,421 posts, read 12,341,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Here is what they sent to me:

In regards to your comments, one of our independent Restaurant Operators in Pennsylvania was asked to provide sandwiches to two Art of Marriage video seminars. Chick-fil-A does its best to serve our local community and one of the ways we do that is by providing food to schools, colleges, civic groups, businesses, places of worship, not-for-profit groups, etc. At his discretion, the local Operator agreed to simply provide a limited amount of food. Our Chick-fil-A Operators and their employees try very hard every day to go the extra mile to serving ALL of our customers with honor, dignity and respect. For more details on this matter, please visit Chick-fil-A’s page on Facebook.
Sincerely,

Larry
Chick-fil-A CARES
Chick-fil-A...We Didn't Invent The Chicken,
Just The Chicken Sandwich.
On the Web at Chick-fil-A

I have not eaten there in several weeks now, because I cannot support such a Company.
so in essence, Chick fil A gave some food to an organization that you dont like and thus we need a thread telling everyone not to eat there?

nice.

I for one love the place. i eat there often. I take my boys there. They love it too.

My wife and I love the fact that they have a world view that is close to our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies