Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Why do we need chicken from China?

Aren't our chicken producers making enough money?

I'm not buying Chinese chicken. Period.

Yeah, I'm with you. Our domestic industries made the best semi-toxic processed food on the planet. Why do we need China?

The problem is BO wants to raise one billion dollars for his reelection campaign. No, I didn't misspell that. He wants a billion. To do this he'll need to outsource funding efforts to foreign donors as he did during the last presidential campaign. So now we will be importing Chinese chickens, and apparently we'll be doing anything else the Chinese want us to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
So in other words the USDA is bad for allowing bad chicken in the US? But if the USDA didn't exist, wouldn't the chicken be allowed in without any review anyway?

I suppose a few Americans have to die before one of our personal food tasters we will all be forced to hire die. Then we will know the chicken is bad and as individuals it will be up to use to email our friends and family to tell them of the bad chicken and the market will take care of itself. Which of course provides a huge economic job growth in the personal food taster sector that will be sure to grow.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:31 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
If you spend the people's money to have an agency or Dept that is supposed to be protecting the people,it might actually be a good idea if it does that....

But then that seems logical.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Looks like some one has found a way to make more money by importing chickens from China rather than buying American chickens.
Capitalism and free market at work..
coughWalmartcough

I buy meats from very few places. So far, none of them have had a meat recall. I doubt they'd be buying Chinese chickens, and if I found out that they did, I'd stop buying chicken from them.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
So in other words the USDA is bad for allowing bad chicken in the US? But if the USDA didn't exist, wouldn't the chicken be allowed in without any review anyway?

I suppose a few Americans have to die before one of our personal food tasters we will all be forced to hire die. Then we will know the chicken is bad and as individuals it will be up to use to email our friends and family to tell them of the bad chicken and the market will take care of itself. Which of course provides a huge economic job growth in the personal food taster sector that will be sure to grow.
Ya, but it's cheaper than running a department with enough money to hire enough people to inspect the meat, right? Let the general population test the food!

snark, if you couldn't tell.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:02 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If you spend the people's money to have an agency or Dept that is supposed to be protecting the people,it might actually be a good idea if it does that....

But then that seems logical.
Yes it does seem logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Ya, but it's cheaper than running a department with enough money to hire enough people to inspect the meat, right? Let the general population test the food!

snark, if you couldn't tell.
Yeah, I catch your drift and I have some issues with the absolutist mindset that there is only two propositions, either some massive bloated government bureaucracy or total free market, every man for himself.

I was a one man letter writing campaign in my state over the 2009 Food Safety Act, as it spoke of adding all these provisions to keep our food supply safe. Such as requiring ANYONE who sold a tomato from their garden on the road side to have a federal license. This is just too far.

There are already agencies in place to ensure our food supply is safe and it is a national security concern in my opinion. However it not only has to be funded it also has to be adequately staffed and given the authority to fulfill its purpose. We do not need another agency to do what the FDA and USDA isn't doing but should be doing.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Yes it does seem logical.

Yeah, I catch your drift and I have some issues with the absolutist mindset that there is only two propositions, either some massive bloated government bureaucracy or total free market, every man for himself.

I was a one man letter writing campaign in my state over the 2009 Food Safety Act, as it spoke of adding all these provisions to keep our food supply safe. Such as requiring ANYONE who sold a tomato from their garden on the road side to have a federal license. This is just too far.

There are already agencies in place to ensure our food supply is safe and it is a national security concern in my opinion. However it not only has to be funded it also has to be adequately staffed and given the authority to fulfill its purpose. We do not need another agency to do what the FDA and USDA isn't doing but should be doing.
Totally agree. There is a middle ground, and our food supply is important enough that we should support a decently strong food inspection agency that is not beholden to the special ag interests.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:16 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Anyone who wonders why the Tea Party was formed and why "The People" are angry should read this thread! The majority of Washington politicians don't give a peep about US.
You people need to decide what you want. Do you want govt. regulations of food or no regulation of food. You call for less govt. but when you get less govt. you complain. The tea party is just a bunch of complainers with no platform whatsoever. Govt. bad, no govt. bad.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
You'll never know if that chicken is from China or not.

They do not have to put COOL (Country of Origin) labels on them.
Thank big business. Only fruits, vegetables and certain fish are mandated with COOL.
Take the skin off, cut them, put one grain of salt on them and voila..NO COOL required.

I'm glad I know where my chickens come from..a farm 1 hour away from me.

DO YOU KNOW YOUR FARMER ??

Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Unfortunately when it's packaged you won't be able to tell where it's come from.
And The answer to that is !!! As I just did a month ago, bought 8 hens and one roster just as my dad did many years ago. Nothing like FRESH! eggs, Now all i need to get is a little pig. I see the donut shop down town throwing out old donuts every day ( cheap food ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies