Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times

Advertisements

ATF study targets shotguns-hkak-006.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Did you pay the special tax for a "restricted" weapon for what appears to be a sawed off shotgun? I agree with your choice as there is no better defensive weapon than a short bbl shotgun. IMHO the Congress should repeal the 1934 Federal Firearms Law as well as any other they or the BATF have created.
Lousy pic, but yes I did get the tax stamp and this is the family's home defense gun. Everybody is trained in it's usage.
Attached Thumbnails
ATF study targets shotguns-hkak-001.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I read the whole report and didn't come away with that conclusion. Consensus among rational gun owners on many gun forums is that the Saiga conforms to the "sporting clause" in all respects. It is imported with a fixed stock and a 5 rd magazine. BATFE may be ready to ban the future sales of aftermarket parts such as drums, hi-cap mags, flash hiders and folding stocks for shotguns, so I would expect that it may be smart to buy the parts while you can. My Saiga has all of the "evil features" they discuss in the report in addition to having a barrel length of only 8". So I'm on the edge as to their ultimate decision. What the report did more clearly define was the difference between sporting and law enforcement use and their conclusions I disagree with as Home defense is a very important aspect of shotgun ownership and they don't take that into consideration at all.
It reads to me as the start on a crackdown against many of these shotguns. They'll say that since they can be adapted, they will be banned. There's been many rumors to this effect circulating for a while now, the source being ATF agents.

The sporting purposes clause is unconstitutional and needs to be done away with. As I said in my first post, the SCOTUS has already made it clear the second amendment is not confined to "sporting purposes."

Old 01-28-2011, 01:29 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
If the 2nd Amendment is not about sporting purposes,then one would think that regulations and restrictions based upon sporting purposes would no longer be applicable.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If the 2nd Amendment is not about sporting purposes,then one would think that regulations and restrictions based upon sporting purposes would no longer be applicable.
When did the ATF get to thinking it could just classify, restrict and subsequently ban firearms on the fly?

We may as well line the birdcage with the Constitution if we're going to allow agencies staffed with anonymous and unaccountable bureaucrats to govern.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Frank - Get real. We have been allowing unaccountable bureaucrats to govern since we invented government. Hammurabi’s clerks undoubtedly made a set of onerous rules and fees just to register grain sales. Unfortunately registering the sale was cheaper than getting robbed. The trick is to make their bosses accountable.

Mowhakx - That Saiga looks like one cool gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies