Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suizo View Post
Clark, I see you are another tolerant liberal.

I agree Bideshi, the homosexual lifestyle is perverse, immoral and deviant.

Homosexuals keep pushing and pushing their unhealthy lifestyle/agenda on conservative heterosexuals and we are fed up with it

Militant homosexuals have ruined family outings for us the few times we went to downtown Portland; we no longer support Portland with our hard earned dollars because of harrasment.

Portland is ruled by a homosexual mayor, Sam Adams who made out with a minor boy in city hall bathroom and is celebrated by Portlanders for it!

Homophobic? Yes, if that means I want to keep some semblance of innocence/social order for my family, then I proudly accept that moniker.
What exactly were gays doing to harass you? Breathing?
RULED, what city is ruled? Duh, he was voted into office. He's not a king, just an elected official.

Breeding hatred and intolerance is not a way to create innocence; but it is a way to create bullies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 04:32 AM

419 posts, read 868,344 times
The hate and fear against gays posted in this thread is so shameful and unnecessary. Get over your petty little fears of homosexuals ruling the world and turning your straight kids gay. Two men have adopted a baby and want to provide this child with love and stability. Good for them for saving this poor child from a life in foster care.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,229 times
The cover represents reality. Gay people are adopting kids every day all over the world. The only people that have a problem with this are the "sick perverts" who like to obsess about two men having sex. Get over it. I really am surprised there are this many WEAK people in this country, who are so insecure about their own sexuality.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:55 AM

30,304 posts, read 51,908,733 times
I just bought a copy of the magazine... hehe. Had to do a late-night 7-11 run for cat food, and I saw the magazine on the rack - couldn't resist buying one! So if nothing else, this was good press for them (both US and Elton John).

You know what else is funny? Right next to it was a People Magazine, with "Nicole's Secret Baby!" as the cover story... I wonder if "parfleche" would have found that offensive, since the baby was conceived with a surrogate? Not to mention, Nicole Kidman & Keith Urban aren't exactly spring chickens.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
Wow, two blokes and a baby smiling ! I can see how upsetting that would be to some people. A deviant and perverted "agenda" indeed...

I personally find all celebrity magazines repellent , Elton is not "pushing" anything apart from perhaps like all celebrities himself and exposing his desire to be on the cover of magazines. Vanity always seems to be the order of the day rather than some sinister "plot" to take over the world with his Gay "lifestyle".

I don't even like the guy but for goodness sake is that really the worst people have to worry in this world, whether someone is pictured with their new baby ?

Talk about skewed priorities, war, rape, murder, environmental destruction, political corrution, greed run amok, economic and social slavery, poverty, famine etc.. and this is what worries some of you people ?
Seriously ? Wow, simply wow.

I cannot believe how offended some people can be by the innocuous image of two men and a baby. I have pictures of my Dad and one of his male friend holding me as a baby, would that too be deemed offensive and perverted if he had been famous enough to make it on the front-page of a magazine ?

It is not children we are trying to protect but our own twisted sense of "morality" and outraged sense of "decency". Kids are not born bigots, they become that way because adults impose their "morals" on them and brainwash them into intolerance and hatred.

A more inclusive world is what we should be wanting to hand over to our kids not a world where the "other" is always denigrated, ridiculed and socially ostracised.

If we truly cared about our kids we would have enough respect for them to make their own minds up not impose our own narrow minded views of what is "proper" or not.

Kids are not little porcelain dolls but it seems their parents certainly do get upset pretty easily. There are lot of things in the world which upset my sensibilities but unless they harm anyone I realise I have no right to impose my views or beliefs on the subject.

Some people need to grow up , look in the mirror once in a while and realise that there are somehow far more serious issues to address than wether a Gay couple has a baby and is pictured smiling at a camera.

Our media is full of provocative images, and this is the one which bothers us as a society ?!?!

I wish people were just as pro active and disapproving of multinational corportations ( that they so happily prop up as customers) who rape and pillage the earth for their obscene profits, who destroy whole native communities, employ people ( including kids and elderly) in appalling work conditions and generally behave with about as much "moral" sense as comatose pond slime.

I wish people were so offended by domestic violence, war and human trafficking. I wish people found economic slavery and environmental destruction quite as perverted and deviant as a photo of Elton and a baby...

But I guess those would require real actions and the real desire to do something about real , serious life affecting issues and would show a little intelligence and the will to make this world a little better. Where is all the outrage for real issues ? Where is all the rage against human rights abuses, against war ? So much easier to pick on something a little lighter and easier to whine about isn't it ?

The bigotry and stupidity on this forum never ceases to amaze me. The inmates truly are running the asylum.

“The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.” Voltaire

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 01-28-2011 at 06:25 AM..

Old 01-28-2011, 06:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
The gay coalition must've called in an air strike because they were losing...

Old 01-28-2011, 07:13 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,008,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Buuuuuuut, #1 is practicing censorship... and while I know this is a private business, as a public librarian I cringe at the thought. Do you think we haven't displayed things (at the library) that offended some patrons and staff? We still displayed them, as we have a strict policy against censorship - and while a private business is free to do as they please, to me that just reeks really badly. I'm glad corporate responded to complaints about the shield, though!
How is it censorship when the market is still selling the magazine?

The market made a choice to not display a magazine. No one was deprived of free speech or told what they could or could not read. Additionally a private business is not nor should it be bound with the same regulations as a public library.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 AM

30,304 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
How is it censorship when the market is still selling the magazine?
The poster (who I was quoting) asked which choice would be better, so I only said the first one reeked of censorship. It actually wouldn't be censorship if they simply chose not to sell it, just as many convenience stores choose not to sell Playboy. As a librarian I often choose not to order a book, and that doesn't mean I am censoring anything... I'm just making a purchasing decision, which could be based on many factors. But again, they have the right to do whatever they want as a private business.

Quote:
The market made a choice to not display a magazine. No one was deprived of free speech or told what they could or could not read. Additionally a private business is not nor should it be bound with the same regulations as a public library.
See above (and my comments earlier)... I never said they should have the same regulations, I was just using libraries as an example of censorship vs selective displays & purchases. I don't care what they do, particularly as my local stores aren't blocking the magazine.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The gay coalition must've called in an air strike because they were losing...
Nah. Good old market forces slapped the bigots around, one hopes there's a precedent set.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Nah. Good old market forces slapped the bigots around, one hopes there's a precedent set.
Bigots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies