Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:23 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times

Advertisements

Let's stop kidding ourselves. Foreign automakers receive a lot of aid from their governments. I'm as pure a Capitalist as there is, but we have to compete with foreign competition on their terms if we intend to maintain our industries. America first, capitalism second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
It is good that Obama bailed out the auto industry, don't you think?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:37 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I'm sorry, it was $50 BILLION GM received in the bailout/takeover by obama

GM's Phony Bailout Payback - Reason Magazine

When obama turned bankruptcy/contract law on it's head.

FoxNews.com - Did General Motors Really Repay Its Taxpayer Bailout?

I helped Ford along with their profits - hubby got a brand new truck for Xmas. I will never buy a GM product.

Congrats to the hubby on his new truck!!!

This proves when you keep the government out of the way that businesses can do well.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It is good that Obama bailed out the auto industry, don't you think?

Obama bailed them out or the tax payers?

So he handed them money out of his own pocket?

Just like the failed cash for clunkers? Our local dealer still has 300 junk cars and has never been paid a dime for them yet as promised. No wonder. Obama was handling it right?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:52 AM

817 posts, read 853,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
How else are they going to offset the overpaid union workers?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:46 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
I've heard that Ford didn't need a bailout only because they mortgaged most--or all--of their assets before the credit crisis made it nearly impossible for the other automakers to borrow money.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:52 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Ford took the highest amount of bail-out money, more than GM, more than BMW, more than Chrysler, more than Toyota.

The difference was that Ford's was directly from the Fed and was kept 'undisclosed' for a year, and only made public when the news cycle would mostly ignore it

Ford got $5.9 Billion
GM got $13.9 Billion
BMW $6.2 Billion
Chrysler got $4.9 Billion
Toyota got $4.6 Billion.

Ford, BMW, Toyota Took Secret Government Money
Yeah, their Taurus is such a well-oiled machine. Personally I dont plan on financing a new car in this lousy economy. But Im glad I sold my GM stock ten years ago.

Time for green cars or commuting via mass transit. American car companies can swirl down the drain as far as Im concerned, along with B of A and JPMorgan Chase. Ane eye for an eye. Only we, the consumers, can react against corporate welfare and bailouts.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I've heard that Ford didn't need a bailout only because they mortgaged most--or all--of their assets before the credit crisis made it nearly impossible for the other automakers to borrow money.
this is only partly true. ford did mortgage nearly all of their assets to get the funds needed to weather the looming crisis, but that didnt mean that the other automakers couldnt do the same thing. the fact is that they should also have lined up money for the future like ford did, because if they had they would not have gone through bankruptcy, and they would not have had to beg for money from the government.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:56 PM

377 posts, read 684,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
The difference between a good executive and a lesser one is that they are willing to listen and then take action.
Amen to that my friend..

Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Congrats to the hubby on his new truck!!!

This proves when you keep the government out of the way that businesses can do well.
Wish it were mine. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies