Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

The same goes with the auto industry bailout--millions upon millions of dollars paid to suppliers would have dried up, creating a huge ripple effect in the economy and job market, if we hadn't helped that industry get back on their feet. Whether you like it or not, that bailout had 91 R's voting for it in the House, was proposed by the Bush administration--not the Dems--and had broad bipartisan support.

We HAVE to start targeting tax cuts and spending to areas that help our economy grow--not just paying back the people who scratch our backs. It has to happen on both sides of the isle. I'm sick of the finger pointing.
Bailouts are a flawed strategy. And the party that supported them has no meaning. It's bad strategy to save businesses that should fail regardless of who is in control.

Yes, we should quit bailing out the people who scratch our backs. All bail outs should be stopped. I don't care who supports them, they are wrong and they upset the market place balance.

Maybe you should help your man in office understand. Government is not the solution. It's the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 10:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
A tax and spend uber liberal like Obama can never be pro-business.
The the two worlds are mutually exclusive.
Another informative, skillfully delivered argument.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:19 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Bailouts are a flawed strategy. And the party that supported them has no meaning. It's bad strategy to save businesses that should fail regardless of who is in control.

Yes, we should quit bailing out the people who scratch our backs. All bail outs should be stopped. I don't care who supports them, they are wrong and they upset the market place balance.

Maybe you should help your man in office understand. Government is not the solution. It's the problem.
Thinking that no government is good, and that government is the problem is just as bad as thinking that the government should solve all your problems--both paths don't work, and functioning government is somewhere in the middle.

I think you're absolutely wrong about the bailouts in situations like the one we were facing in 08. We were in such dire straits that letting the banks fail, or the auto industry (one of our biggest manufacturing industries in the US) would have had a ripple effect that would have devastated the economy and thrown us into a depression. Remember--they were loans. We've got a big chunk of the money back already from the banks with return on investment, and it looks like the auto industry is going to pay us back as well, with a profit. That's an emergency short term business investment--not money down the drain, like pork to industries that don't create jobs in this country.

Doing the Math on Obama's Detroit Bailout - BusinessWeek

Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
So, let me get this straight...

You're worried that the guy appointed to specifically handle negotiations between unions and businesses has experience handling negotiations between unions and businesses?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
So, let me get this straight...

You're worried that the guy appointed to specifically handle negotiations between unions and businesses has experience handling negotiations between unions and businesses?
If you READ my opening post, you'd see that I specifically said that there's a conflict of interest in that he worked for the same unions he's now supposed to be unbiased about.

Worse yet is that he's written many opinion pieces proving his bias against business owners.

He couldn't even get confirmed to that post when there was a Democratic majority, so he was appointed during a recess.

The post also was meant to illustrate that within 24 hours, Obama's rhetoric about being pro-business was all just theater.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:23 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Obama's Pro-Business Rhetoric Is Just Rhetoric
One can only hope LoL

Old 01-29-2011, 04:33 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
If you READ my opening post, you'd see that I specifically said that there's a conflict of interest in that he worked for the same unions he's now supposed to be unbiased about.

Worse yet is that he's written many opinion pieces proving his bias against business owners.

He couldn't even get confirmed to that post when there was a Democratic majority, so he was appointed during a recess.

The post also was meant to illustrate that within 24 hours, Obama's rhetoric about being pro-business was all just theater.
I'm not a liberal, but I don't see a problem with a strong labor advocate on the NLRB--it's SUPPOSED to be a balance of viewpoints that are both pro business and pro labor. I think the R's are looking for a molehill to make into a mountain on this one. Of course the R's want to put a wishy washy person in vs. a labor advocate. That doesn't mean it's right. Making it into an example of how the President is somehow backtracking--that he's not doing his job by appointing a pro labor member to what's supposed to be a mixed viewpoint labor board--is really reaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies