Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,684 times

Advertisements

I've lived in various cities, over the years. As an African American, I've exerienced quite a bit of racism, in so-called 'progressive' cities. I'm talking about places such as Portland, OR, San Francisco, CA, Northampton, MA, and others. These places are certainly progressive, when it comes to politics, gay and lesbian issues, and environmental issues.

But when it comes to racism, especially with regards to economics, these so-called 'progressive' cities, come up short. From my own experiences, it seems to me that many 'progressive' cities, want to keep blacks and browns out. They want to deny blacks and browns decent housing, jobs, and overall respect. The only minority group that I've seen, that are welcome in 'progressive' cities, are Asians.

I'd like to hear from others, particularly African American, and Hispanics, about this issue. Have any of you ever lived in any so-called 'progressive' city, and have experienced lots of racism, either covert or blatant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I lived in Austin, Texas for one year. It was purported as the most liberal city in Texas. I cannot tell you how racist, bigoted, and backwater it was. It was incredibly redneck. I met horrible people everywhere I went: the uncommunicative attitudes, mimicking, sarcasm, control, arguments, suspicion, anger, and petty harassment occurred almost everywhere I went. Horrible city. Horrible people. It was like the movie Deliverance but way bigger in scope. Of course, when I complained I was blamed for everything and chided.

I moved somewhere else and have not experienced such horrible treatment even in the small country hick towns that surround the big city that I reside in. Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I've lived in various cities, over the years. As an African American, I've exerienced quite a bit of racism, in so-called 'progressive' cities. I'm talking about places such as Portland, OR, San Francisco, CA, Northampton, MA, and others. These places are certainly progressive, when it comes to politics, gay and lesbian issues, and environmental issues.

But when it comes to racism, especially with regards to economics, these so-called 'progressive' cities, come up short. From my own experiences, it seems to me that many 'progressive' cities, want to keep blacks and browns out. They want to deny blacks and browns decent housing, jobs, and overall respect. The only minority group that I've seen, that are welcome in 'progressive' cities, are Asians.

I'd like to hear from others, particularly African American, and Hispanics, about this issue. Have any of you ever lived in any so-called 'progressive'
city, and have experienced lots of racism, either covert or blatant?

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-28-2011 at 11:19 AM..

Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post

I'd like to hear from others, particularly African American, and Hispanics, about this issue. Have any of you ever lived in any so-called 'progressive'
city, and have experienced lots of racism, either covert or blatant?
I've only experienced racism from Democrat voters that moved in from northern New Jersey to where I lived before. My uncle lives in Philadelphia, Democrat Country, and experiences racism pretty often. When he comes over to visit, everyone is polite to him here, and I live in so-called "Alabama".

The Democrats themselves forced me to give my vote to the GOP because after smelling the coffee, I realized that when Democrats are talking face to face with us, they use endearing terms, saying how they want to help because they "understand us" but then we turn their backs on them and they stab us in the back, all the while telling us that they're the inclusive ones, and the Republicans are racist. Nothing could be further from the truth. Inner city Progressives are very elitist and prefer to keep us minorities dependent on them for votes, because if we were actually successful, they would lose votes. The Democrat Party relies on a large, ever growing poor minority base for their votes. Ever notice on Progressive TV channels and other media, there's hardly any minorities, despite the Left always trying to promote diversity?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I lived in Austin, Texas for one year. It was purported as the most liberal city in Texas. I cannot tell you how racist, bigoted, and backwater it was. It was incredibly redneck. I met horrible people everywhere I went: the uncommunicative attitudes, mimicking, sarcasm, control, argumentative, and petty harassment occurred almost everywhere I went. Horrible city. Horrible people. It was like the movie Deliverance but way bigger in scope.

I moved somewhere else and have not experienced such horrible treatment even in the small country hick towns that surround the big city that I reside in. Go figure!
Ever notice too how all these progressive cities have highly segregated populations? Very across the railroad tracks these cities are. Also I believe Austin is not just the most liberal city in Texas, I think it's one of the most liberal in the whole country

You know how liberals make fun of Fox for its tag line Fair and Balanced? Saying that they have to keep reminding themselves that they are because they are not, I think it always applies to liberals that they always have to keep reminding themselves that they are tolerant and open-minded ones. Ironic?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times
As my mother used to say, it's largely the difference between being called a n****r to your face and being called it behind your back. I've experienced much more racism in conservative areas, but it is largely because a lot people in more liberal places are more concerned to hide their feelings.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM

I can half relate to your commentary. I lived in Austin, Texas for one year; and a lot of people there vote Democrat. But the racism and hate there was from both sides of the fence. And like you said Democrats are most certainly cunning liars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I've only experienced racism from Democrat voters that moved in from northern New Jersey to where I lived before. My uncle lives in Philadelphia, Democrat Country, and experiences racism pretty often. When he comes over to visit, everyone is polite to him here, and I live in so-called "Alabama".

The Democrats themselves forced me to give my vote to the GOP because after smelling the coffee, I realized that when Democrats are talking face to face with us, they use endearing terms, saying how they want to help because they "understand us" but then we turn their backs on them and they stab us in the back, all the while telling us that they're the inclusive ones, and the Republicans are racist. Nothing could be further from the truth. Inner city Progressives are very elitist and prefer to keep us minorities dependent on them for votes, because if we were actually successful, they would lose votes. The Democrat Party relies on a large, ever growing poor minority base for their votes. Ever notice on Progressive TV channels and other media, there's hardly any minorities, despite the Left always trying to promote diversity?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Would you also like to hear from biracial people who have suffered racism from black Americans?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 AM

There was a group of white women in Austin, Texas who were trying to get me to move to the dangerous and violent part of town. They kept telling me horror stories of violence, as a way to harass me, so that I would move out of the city. I'm glad I moved out: life is 100x better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ever notice too how all these progressive cities have highly segregated populations? Very across the railroad tracks these cities are. Also I believe Austin is not just the most liberal city in Texas, I think it's one of the most liberal in the whole country

Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Ever notice how the Progressive cities are wealthier than most with a decent size and relatively secure working and middle class. Like the guy complaining about the DOE one man’s experience does not a sample make.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Would you also like to hear from biracial people who have suffered racism from black Americans?
We would like to. Cause I've experienced racism from other Hispanics as well. mostly from Dominican-Americans and Puerto Rican-Americans because I wasn't brown enough, and the white liberals thought I wasn't white enough. Catch 22

I think this photo illustrates white progressives perfectly (guy on the right) http://69.90.174.247/photos/display_...08381630,8.jpg

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-28-2011 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Copyright image
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies